Opinions on Bridgestone Battlax S21 Tires?

• Supporting Member
Bridgestone is currently offering a $50 Rebate on a set of tires.  Promo offer ends August 31.

Does anyone have any opinions, good or bad, on the Battlaxe S21?  I have been a Pirelli Angel GT user for many years, but these tires get great reviews and are dirt cheap, $218 a set BEFORE the $50 rebate!

Please, I dont want to start a "whats your favorite tire?" thread or need to hear how many miles you can get out of your PR4's, just want honest real-world pro's and con's of this particular tire.

Thanks-

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I had/have Battlax tires on my former Katana (I just sold it last month). They aren't bad for twisties, but I wouldn't put them on my FJ. The reason is (for me) is that the Battlax middle compound wears a lot faster and you get this nice "chicken strip" with a ridge. I should note that my riding is mostly highway for my FJ, but was mostly highway for my Kat too, as I commuted on the Kat until I got the FJ. I have the PR4's currently, but only put them on a few months ago.

• Premium Member
The s21 is a sport tire, the T30's are Bridgestones sport touring tires, I've been using the t30's and the Angels for a while now and their both great tires that wear and handle about the same for me but I'm mostly doing back roads and twisties so can't say how they would hold up if your doing allot of highway.
BLB

I haven't ridden bridgestones in a few years. Never had any traction issues. Back wore fine. Front wore like a pyramid though, made for very poor handling for the final third of its life.

'15 FJ09

For the money, go for it! I'm dang tempted myself. Great rated tire, technology appears sound, and the design is innovative.

What's to lose? If you hate them, you got such a great deal that the pain will be limited, and if you like them, BONUS! :)

• 11 months later...
No Grasshopper, there are much better (safer) and longer lasting options available. How about 9000 miles from Michelin Pilot Road 5 rears and 13000 mile fronts. A remarkable grippy yet long wearing combination rarely found in any MC tire.

• Supporting Member
No Grasshopper, there are much better (safer) and longer lasting options available. 
I am now on my 2nd set of S21’s, and since they are a sport tire, longevity will not be as good as a sport touring tire, but they stick like glue, even in the wet and cold winter pavement. After price matching and rebates they were $170 a set, I have no doubt that the road 5 is a great tire, but it’s also one of the most expensive tires known to man and you will never see Michelin offer a rebate. 

I am curious to hear how they are unsafe. 

I mostly use my FJ as a comfortable sport bike on the western NC twisty mountain roads where I live. I've run several sets of S21's and for my purpose they're a great tire. Lots of grip and longevity isn't bad at all. They work best for me and get even wear along the entire profile at 34/34 psi F/R.

• 2 months later...
No Grasshopper, there are much better (safer) and longer lasting options available. 
I am now on my 2nd set of S21’s, and since they are a sport tire, longevity will not be as good as a sport touring tire, but they stick like glue, even in the wet and cold winter pavement. After price matching and rebates they were $170 a set, I have no doubt that the road 5 is a great tire, but it’s also one of the most expensive tires known to man and you will never see Michelin offer a rebate.  
I am curious to hear how they are unsafe. 

The S21 is far from unsafe however, I just wore out a set of Michelin Road 5 in a single ride Florida-Alasksa-Florida and they were very safe in all conditions, never wavered, no flats and lasted twice as long as the S21. Your right, you can get a set of Bridgestone for close to half the price but the Michelin last twice as long. There is a great YouTube video of the Road 5 on the track in case you were wondering if you give up some knee dragging with these. Yes, I've become a fanboy...

• 3 weeks later...
s21 is one of the best from sport tyres, cheap with good to great mileage compared other tyres from the same sport category. of course it wont last long but the grip and riding pleasure are not comparable with any sport-touring tyre.
i am running now an even sportier tyre, pirelli rosso corsa II after 2 sets of s21 battlax, from january there is going to be available the fresh S22 tyre, so its a strong candidate for my next pair of tyres

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

• Supporting Member
i am running now an even sportier tyre, pirelli rosso corsa II after 2 sets of s21 battlax, from january there is going to be available the fresh S22 tyre, so its a strong candidate for my next pair of tyres

I've bought 3 sets of the S21's now, if the S22 is an improvement then I will try it for sure.

Archived