2017 FJ-09 How To Reset Check Engine Light

dbeau

So after buying a few things and wiring them up I am now able to read and clear fault codes from my 2017 FJ-09. This should also work for XSR/FZ models. 

I purchased the following items for a total of approx $30
4-way plug to connect to bike:
MT-4_P-1.jpg
OBDII cable:
OBD2-16_S.jpg
CAN Compatible OBDII scanner:
548f8f7c-e9af-4eb7-be6b-9c6fe1209443_1.6ef948bf0.jpg

Now you don't necessarily need the plugs, you can always just affix the wires in place but the plugs make it easier and more secure. The following is the pinout info:

Yamaha -> OBDII Scanner

1 (blue/white) -> 14
2 (blue/blue) -> 6
3 (black/white) -> 4
4 (red) -> 16

Here is the OBDII pinout:
OBD2-16_Spinout.gif

Apparently not all OBDII scanners will work. The first one I bought wouldn't link up so I returned it and got the one shown here.

This also begs the question whether or not other advanced scanners may be able to access/change certain parameters like the pre-2017 could through the diag menu. Will look into this over time.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Previous Update: I stumbled upon a thread (linked below) where XSR owners have found a way to access and erase codes using a CAN OBDII reader and an adapter cable to plug into the diag cable under the seat. There is a factory cable adapter that can be purchased but it costs $75 or so and I'm not going to pay that. I'll attempt to find a cheaper option or maybe fabricate my own along with purchasing a cheap OBD scanner. I'll update once all that comes together.   

http://www.somefz09forum/forum/69-xsr900-general-discussion/11853-xsr900-no-more-local-diagnostics-mode-warning-prospective-owners-2.html

Original Post: I wanted to let everyone with a 2017 model know about something that I've unfortunately discovered....

If you do anything to the bike that causes the check engine light to come on there is no way to clear it outside of taking it to the dealer to have the codes wiped. 

Situation #1: 600 miles on the brand new bike, During routine maintenance I let the rear wheel spin under power while on the center stand. This threw a front wheel speed sensor code (obviously). Check engine light appeared and was only rectified by the dealer clearing the codes.

Situation #2: 3500 on the odometer. While syncing the throttle bodies I unplugged an unknown connector near the throttle body clamps to get more clearance. I forgot to plug this connector back in before starting the bike to check sync. I suspect this is why the check engine light came on and now, just like before, the light will not go off by itself. 

Some facts about 2017:

-2017 model no longer allows the user to enter diag menu
-pulling the battery has no effect
-apparently anything you do that initiates a check engine light is permanent until dealer intervention

I'm very dissapointed in this discovery as I do all of the maintenance on my bike personally. I find it very annoying that any slight mistep you take during maitenance will cause an irreversable (outside of dealer intervention) CEL.

My dealer is a complete PITA to deal with and I do not plan on dealing with them to rectify this issue. I'll more than likely be breaking out the black electrical tape to hide this from sight and try to put it out of mind.            

It's the emissions police. As you have discovered, all the new 17 Yamaha bikes use OBD II compliant codes.

On the flip side, if you have found an adapter from the Yamaha 4 pin connector to an OBDII reader, that will save future trips to the dealership - even a stop at Autozone with the adapter will get your codes cleared.

Skip

• 9 months later...
I can confirm that a CAN OBD2 scanner/reader, with a properly-wired 4-pin to OBD2 adapter cable, WILL read & clear codes on US 2017 Yamaha bikes. I have a 2017 FJ-09, and, after installing the MCCruise cruise control, it triggered the "Check Engine" light. Based on info from other people, I was under the (thankfully false) impression that the "only" way to clear the 'Check Engine' light on Yamaha's 2017 bikes was to take it to a dealer, as "official Yamaha diagnostics software" was the only thing that could clear the 'Check Engine' light. However, after reading some info, I purchased an Autel Tech AutoLink AL319 ($25-45), and obtained a Yamaha 4-pin to OBD2 adapter cable (you can purchase on from Amazon, eBay, etc) for $20-30US, or make your own), and gave it a shot...and it cleared the 'Check Engine' light without any problems. Before anyone else tries this, I suggest two things. First, download/install Autel's MaxiLink2 software. Second, update the AL319's firmware (*.bin file), as well as install the latest codes (*.aut file), all of which can be downloaded from Autel's website. All-in-all, the $45-75 you'll spend will be well worth it, as it's not only "reusable", but can also be used on any 4-wheeled vehicles you might have. It could potentially save you numerous trips to your motorcycle/auto dealership.

• 2 months later...
Hi, I just ordered the items needed.  
How do I identify the numbers on the 4 pin plug ?

best regards 
Kent 

Match the plug up to the male end on the bike and note the wire colors.

1 (blue/white) -> 14
2 (blue/blue) -> 6
3 (black/white) -> 4
4 (red) -> 16

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all this info dbeau. I was looking to smooth out my new 2017 and thought 'what the hell', I'll adjust the APS a little at a time to see what the difference was. I know there is no way of getting the numbers with the 2017 but figured I could always put it back if needed. I did this with my old Versys 650 as a common fix was to adjust the TPS a little at a time to smooth things out.

With my FJ I had to unplug the APS to get my rachet in there and of course, I started the bike while it was still unpluged. And as expected the bike threw a code and the check engine light now remains on.

I like doing my own work and forums like this are a great resourse. I wasn't sure which size plug and pins to order from Corsa Tech so I just got both. BTW, the OBD2 code reader is now $14 on Amazon.

Thanks again.

Just got the cable and connectors, code reader coming this week. Figured I would hook up the cables as listed here and at Corsa Technic according to the color codes listed. Both pictures here and at Corsa for the cable I received are not even close to those labeled. A quick test with my multi meter found the proper colors associated with the hook up chart. If you do get this cable you may want to check the port/color chart and test. Just some info.

Just got the cable and connectors, code reader coming this week. Figured I would hook up the cables as listed here and at Corsa Technic according to the color codes listed. Both pictures here and at Corsa for the cable I received are not even close to those labeled. A quick test with my multi meter found the proper colors associated with the hook up chart. If you do get this cable you may want to check the port/color chart and test. Just some info.

Good look. The colors on the OBD side I can't vouch for. The pinout is what's important.

No worries. Figured it out and hooked it up with no issues. As a bonus I pulled the codes from my truck and found a dirty MAS. Truck runs great again.

With the FJ I was surprised to find a code for a disconnected battery along with the codes for me trying to start my bike with the APS disconnected. Strange the disconnected battery threw a code but didn't register with the check engine light.

Yes Jonno they do.

It's worth noting that there's different standards of ODB2 and you need to be specific which dongles you buy. The 15-17 Tracer uses ODB2 v2.1, if you buy a v1.5 dongle it won't work.
Conversely, my friend has a 2015 tiger 800 and it's the opposite for him, only v1.5 dondles will work.