OEM FJ-09 Exhaust Removal

yamaham

Has anyone removed OEM exhaust system? I'm trying and can't seem to get it out, muffler is hanging on oil pan drain bolt and left header won't pass radiator hose.  Tried with center stand up and down with same results, no joy. Can someone with shop manual check this out.
Thank you.

Yup that is what I had to do, remove center stand and it pissed me off because in the Akrapovic installation instructions it doesn't mention that. Actually I'm abit disappointed with the Akrapovic system, for the price it could be alittle better. The sound at idle is almost identical to stock and its on the tame side in normal ops. From what I've seen of the Two Brothers system it appears to be better..........price is about 100 bucks less, instructions are right on (they mention removing center stand) and sound is mellow in all ranges. Don't get me wrong Akrapovic is good (I have used theirs on other bikes) but it appears Two Bro might be a better way to go.

My issue with the center stand was messing with the spring...lol. I understand that the Akra is kind of bipolar. Too obnoxious with the db killer out and sounds stock with it in. Maybe a custom db killer is the answer? Of all the systems I've seen I like the look of it best since most others are an angled "can" instead of mimicking the stock underbelly design. That combined with money issues is why I cut into my OE exhaust.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• 1 month later...
I removed the HEAT SHIELD ON THE EXHAUST TIP.  It gave me enough room to move the exhaust around. I then wiggled the exhaust past the water hose.  With the bike on the kickstand, I had someone else steady the bike, lifted it slightly and manipulated the exhaust until it dropped free.  Better than using a cutoff tool and cutting it in two.  I also removed the water reservoir cap and stuck it up out of the way.  You will need new exhaust gaskets, or if low mileage - flip them over.  Re-torque to 16 pounds feet.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• 1 year later...
Just removed the exhaust. For me was quite simple and no need to remove center stand. Lift rear of Bike with a swing arm stand such that the center stand can be moved up or down. Place something under Cat to support weight and remove all header bolts and both rear bolts. Slowly lower exhaust unit and put center stand in a half way position. Remove exhaust tip cover. Pull exhaust unit forward and it pops right out.

• 1 month later...
Just finished my removal and install. I ended up removing the exhaust tip heat shield but w/o any help cuuld not lift the bike. I ended up removing the center stand bolts, left the springs attached and while on the side stand took the center stand to the half way point was able to get enough clearance to get the original out. Getting the center stand pivot bolts back in with the springs still attached required a pry bar on the end of the stand but worked out okay. By the way my exhaust came w/o the cat too

• Premium Member
I was able to remove the stock exhaust in three steps. on the center stand, you get what you can get. Then on the side stand for an additional twist and movement while moving the center stand back and forth with the exhaust until you achieve some clearance. Back on the center stand when the exhaust is in a new position. Kind of like a puzzle. I also got this out of the FJ-09 service manual for exhaust removal. There was not a requirement for the center stand removal in the manual.

• 4 months later...
I was able to remove the exhaust with center stand still installed. Remove all the nuts and bolts off the exhaust tip, hangar, and manifold. I also removed the two bolts holding the thermostat to get a little more clearance. With an extra set of hands we were able to remove the exhaust while on the sidestand and moving the center stand up and down about halfway. Not as bad as it seems. I have 8k miles on the bike and I replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets. $5 bucks a pop but at least I have piece of mind. The manual says to use new ones anyway. Good luck.

Archived