diagnosis of tire wear patterns

• Supporting Member
I'm getting wear right to the edge of the rear tire but not even close on the front tire.  Does this indicate that I should adjust suspension to put more load on the front tire?

2017-08-10_18.27.59.jpg

2017-08-10_18.28.14.jpg

Guest kernowjim
Perfectly normal.  The front tyre has more scope for grip than the rear for two reasons, firstly it's profile is much taller and secondly the reason for this is to ensure the rear slides before the front, as a front end loss of traction is usually catastrophic. Suspension adjustment won't change this in anyway as it is the bike's geometry which affects how much of the tyre is used (and the tyre's profile versus width as mentioned above) - it would be a good idea to make sure your tyre pressures are always correct - 36psi Front, 42psi rear.

Seen this same question asked in numerous forums. It's easy to rectify, just learn to take a corner at the same lean angle as this guy if you want to completely remove that 'chicken strip' (hate that term) from the front tire ......

Z7J0N2f.jpg

To me it looks like your leaning her over pretty good. Just becareful. For me I run 34psi up front and 32psi in the back with no load except me at 160lbs will all gear. If I am carring a full load its 38psi rear and 36psi ip front.
naw, you're too light to mess with PSI to that degree. or are you carrying another 200lbs when "full"?

Anyhow, what's wrong with 'chicken strips' on tires? If you getting around the corner as fast as you want and with the control you want, and you've got 'chicken strips' left doesn't that indicate your're doing a good job of keeping the bike as upright as possible, maximizing ground clearance, better traction by having more contact patch on the road?

View 'chicken strips' as an indicator of good riding technique.

Anyhow, what's wrong with 'chicken strips' on tires? If you getting around the corner as fast as you want and with the control you want, and you've got 'chicken strips' left doesn't that indicate your're doing a good job of keeping the bike as upright as possible, maximizing ground clearance, better traction by having more contact patch on the road? 
...not a big fan of the expression myself (how about 'touring strip'), but I believe the contact patch is actually larger at a lean angle, only because the tire needs to deal with not only downward, but also side forces.
Also dislike the term.  The following video explains why the contact patch of a motorcycle tire reduces as lean angle increases .... 

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZLKEYfvhGE]

As somebody who has spend a lot of time on a race track, this is very true. 'Chicken strips' should never be used to judge someone's riding ability. 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
As somebody who has spend a lot of time on a race track, this is very true. 'Chicken strips' should never be used to judge someone's riding ability.
Try telling that to a squid.  :D
BLB

I think squid would have the chicken strips big enough to serve at chick-fil-a place. I doubt a squid would stick his naked knee down within an inch of the pavement.

• Premium Member
I think squid would have the chicken strips big enough to serve at chick-fil-a place. I doubt a squid would stick his naked knee down within an inch of the pavement.
 Probably not but they have ways    

BLB

Archived