Sand coming up through fairings?

I wasn't sure how to word this or search for it LOL. I live on a dirt road and traverse two dirt roads before pavement. The roads are not kept all that well and usually both wash boarded and dry/dusty. I have noticed since getting my FJ that sand/dirt/etc likes to flow right up through the fairings along the fork tubes and settle around the gas tank opening, ignition key hole, and various crevices along the way. A co-worker was checking out my bike today and pointed some nooks and crannies I hadn't even noticed...kind of embarrassing learning there was even more sand in places. Anyway...any ideas on how to stop it? I did recently install the front fender extension so hopefully that helps...maybe the sand was there from before.

Thanks 

I live in exactly the same situation- a mile of gravel road w/washboard, etc. I also have the fender extenders. The speed limit on my road is 15 mph, and I tend to ride at 15 to 20 mph. All my vehicles are always either muddy or dusty, but I have never had anything come up to the triple clamps. I suspect you ride on your road much faster than I do. So, my suggestion is slow it down.

I don't think that I am riding all that fast but I will certainly check myself lol. I end up riding standing up most of the dirt bad dirt road to help absorb some of the bumps. In fact I typically drive any of my vehicles slower than most because I don't fancy suspension repairs. I am thinking about adding a chin spoiler at some point, I like the look of it maybe that will help or just be a new place to catch sand...

• Supporting Member
Sand? That's nothing, i'm still wondering how the hell I end up with bug splatter inside the windscreen... never had that on any bikes before!!!
Same here.  I was recently cleaning my windscreen after a ride and noticed that several bugs were splattered on the inside!!  Not sure how that happens. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Sand? That's nothing, i'm still wondering how the hell I end up with bug splatter inside the windscreen... never had that on any bikes before!!!
Same here.  I was recently cleaning my windscreen after a ride and noticed that several bugs were splattered on the inside!!  Not sure how that happens.
Vortex shedding, you can look it up
BLB

Vortex shedding, you can look it up
You guys just need to ride faster!   The bugs are catching you.  ;-) 

I sat here for 30 minutes trying to figure out how to ride a bike in the dirt without getting it dirty. Now my brain hurts.
I feel more sorry for you than insulted by your funny comment LOL. It's not really that I don't want the bike dirty...I went all black for a reason...but more looking for suggestions on preventing sand from getting in and around the areas I mentioned like the ignition and gas tank key holes.

Put a piece of tape over the gas tank keyhole. Take a block of dense foam about 1 cubic inch size and slice it open just enough to fit over the key while it is in the ignition and push it down over the ignition switch. Sometimes my brain works better than other times, today, it took me only 30 seconds to think of those ideas.

Archived