ECU fuel consumption values, vs real values

Hi,
On my FJ-09 2016, 10,000 kms, the ECU reports 20 kms /lt consumption average. Yet... Reality is that on city commute, with many stop and go routes and no more than 50 kms /hr, I get around 100 kms for the first half tank (driving in B mode) . When on road/high way, driving sometimes up to 170 kms/hr, I get around 140 to 150 kms, half the tank (driving in std mode); when reserve starts to flash, I have around 250 kms trip. That is, around 16 kms /lt. Based in this, ECU values are not accurate and very optimistic.

What is your experience in gas consumption, specially in city commute?

I get about 48-50mpg on the dash. 47 or so in reality. No noticeable difference in MPG before and after the ECU flash. Type of riding has a bigger effect.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Maybe it's the predominently E10 in conjunction with a very exuberant right wrist but with my reflashed ECU, shorty screen, case guards witH driving lights, 46L Shad top case and my 6 foot + 260 pounds of girth and gear, the mpg read-out hovers just over 42 mpg (and often less than 41 after 90+ mph toll way runs), and calculated about 2 mpg less!?

• Premium Member
How and the heck do you guys get over 42 mpg which is what Yamaha rates it at?! 
E10 gas cuts mileage but even when I catch a tankful of non-ethanol I don't get much more...
It's all about how hard you are riding it..... Around town I get maybe 42mpg. On trips where I'm just cruising I get 50+mpg In the RR section I have a picture of 57mpg iirc. 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I pay exactly zero attention to the ECU's figures.  The only ones that count are actual math.

I have an app on my phone (aCar) and record every fill up.  Over 4,153 miles I have averaged 47.2 with a low of 43.2 and a best of 54.2

This is mostly highway cruising at 50-60 mph with an occasionally more uh..."spirited"...blast into triple digits, 99% in Standard Mode, totally stock in terms of gearing, exhaust and ECU.  

Interestingly, I have noticed no significant difference in mileage since I started filling up with 91 octane.  I've been using 87/Regular since I bought the bike.  It DOES seem to run a little smoother tho.

I'm coming up to the 8000 mile service which is supposed to include a TPS adjustment and injector sync, be interesting to see if that has any effect.

E10 gas cuts mileage but even when I catch a tankful of non-ethanol I don't get much more...
Most of my riding is commuting.. combination of traffic lights, back roads, and a short sprint on the highway. Probably averaging 50mph on the commute.. 85-90mph on the highway.

Even when I've taken the FJ to the mountains, where I'm constantly accelerating hard out of corners, I will still get mid 40s on the dash.

I don't care all that much what the number is.. I just use it as a reference point so I know how long I can push it when the F-trip comes on. Usually around 180-190 miles. I've never put more than 4.2 us gallons of fuel in the tank even after 20 miles with the fuel gauge blinking.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Do you get E0 easy by you in GA?

Most I've pushed it is 179 miles and it took 4.4 gallons if I recall maybe even a bit more. But I backed off and sweated the last 18 miles keeping it under 60.

Closet E0 is about 65 miles up in WI.

Around NW IL E10 and higher is all you'll find.

Just stupid and it pollutes more, wastes energy and increases food prices!

• Premium Member
I'd like to know how you guys are doing it too...I get 185 miles from a tank with commuting/highway mix.  Best ever was 210 miles (with .2 gallons left in tank) all highway using cruise control.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

I haven't reset the running MPG on the display since I got the bike 6 mos ago. It's a '17. 55.2mpg.
Calif E10, riding mostly Santa Cruz Mountain twistys in Std mode. I get about 200 miles on the tank before the last bar starts blinking.
I don't baby it but I'm also not one of those 'keep it over 5k all the time' guys either.

Archived