ECU fuel consumption values, vs real values

44 mpg on 92-93 pump gas...rpms are mainly above 4k on Graves Exhaust and WoolichRacing tuning...
 The FJ-09 was not made to run E type gas ?

E85 for example requires about 15% more fuel to burn like 110 race gas and yes e85 is 110octane 
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
How and the heck do you guys get over 42 mpg which is what Yamaha rates it at?! 
E10 gas cuts mileage but even when I catch a tankful of non-ethanol I don't get much more...
I'd like to know how you guys are doing it too...I get 185 miles from a tank with commuting/highway mix.  Best ever was 210 miles (with .2 gallons left in tank) all highway using cruise control.
I've averaged 48.5 mpg over the last 15K miles, according to the ECU. I averaged 52 mpg in the first 5K miles. Most of my riding is highway miles. My commute consists of either highway speeds or idling at stop lights. I enjoy some spirited full-throttle riding occasionally, but that accounts for less than 10% of my mileage. 
One thing that I do to improve the fuel efficiency is to coast whenever feasible with the clutch disengaged and the engine at idle speed. I know that the sport riders like to keep the engine engaged to help control traction. However, I often pull the clutch lever and let friction and wind resistance slow the bike when approaching a turn rather than braking. I also coast downhill when possible.

I think that a big variable that affects MPG but is often overlooked, is the engine coolant temperature. I have noticed that my MPG is much better when the coolant temp is above 170F than it is when the temperature is below 160F. Riding in the Pacific Northwest in spring and fall means that the coolant temp stays below 160F. I get better MPG in the summer when riding the same speeds on the same roads. I have noticed that many of the high-mpg riders are in warm climates. I have considered covering part of the radiator surface to test that theory, but haven't done it yet. 

Of course, ground speed and engine speed both have a large impact on fuel efficiency. My mpg at 60 mph is much better than at 75, regardless of coolant temperature.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
Per the ECU I get 42-44mpg on my commute which includes about 5 miles of city and 7 miles of 50-60mph highway.

Economy falls off fast at higher speeds. If I cruise at 70+ mph on freeways I am lucky to get 40mpg. I'm sure my huge National Cycle windshield doesn't help.

On my recent tour around Washington I averaged much higher, 46-48mpg. I was just taking it easy going 50-60mph on rural two lanes.

• Premium Member
I typically get around 45 riding the mountains in Western Washington. Sometimes it dips into the lower 40's, but mostly it's right at 44-45

Over 8,000 miles I am getting: Actual is 47.87 mpg and indicated is just at 49.6. Worst is 41.9 and best was 55.2. Difference seems to be where I get gas. Missouri and Illinois gas about the same. Seems gas out west was much worse.

I meant to track using fuelly like I do religiously with my chevy cruze...but for some reason I never want to take the time with the bike. It's usually gas and GOOOO! Only had my FJ this summer but my ECU usually shows high 40's to low 50 mpg. So far I have ONLY run 91 ethanol free. E free is available near home and I use it pretty much exclusively unless traveling and it is not available (chevy Cruze, 2017 Dodge ram hemi, FJ, any small engine tool).

My commute riding is mixed but a little more highway than normal roads (45 and 55 roads) Pleasure riding I avoid the highway for the most part. I only use B mode from my driveway to black top, I live on dirt roads and when entering/leaving my work parking lot. Otherwise it's all standard mode, haven't really played in A mode much yet.

At first I thought B mode = eco mode but I'm not sure that is case. Folks have reported worse economy in that mode and explanations where given in other threads.

I don't hammer it from every stop or run all that hard. Heck, I stay in 5th a lot on normal roads. I do ride the FJ like a guy who just came from a big heavy cruiser though so there are moments of "oh yea this thing can flick...see ya!" So many variables with riding styles, weight, fuel, etc etc...

• Premium Member
Again, I maybe average 41 mpg but I do hammer it a lot, and then it's under 40,even 39 mpg or less. But when I have tried to moderate my wrist action and maximize economy, it still only get about 42 to 43 mpg. I've seen an average of 54 or higher on the ECU but actual mileage is always 10 mpg less, and that's on premium 91 or 93 octane.

Does anyone run regular 87 octane or 89? The manual says premium (E10 ok).

I run mid grade. Over 51,000 now and the engine runs great at 10,000, no problem.
The last 13,370 miles I have been getting High: 60.57 - Avg: 47.68 - Low: 38.84.
the middle 22,615 miles I got High: 60.40 - Avg: 48.28 - Low: 39.22

The runs with over 60mpg were done at speeds less than 65 and at elevations over 5,000 feet.

I notice that the ecu is about 2mpg off at lower numbers and 3 mpg off at higher numbers.  Ie:  If it says you are getting 42mpg, you are more likely getting 40 mpg.  If the ecu says you are getting 64 mpg, you are more likely getting 60.57.  JS

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Redfjniner:

Thanks for the info. My Super Tenere calls for Premium also ... but after seeing so many people posting about it running just fine on mid - grade, I changed to that at about 15,000 miles. 84,000 miles later not a bit of problem on mid-grade. I may try the same on the FJ. With a closed loop system I thought the ECM automatically compensated for the fuel octane.

I bought my 2016 FJ-09 new in October 2016. It averaged 4.5 L/100 km (52.3 mpg) for the first 1000 km based on the ECU reading. After that, my mileage started to improve gradually and stabilized at about 3000 km. I now have 15,200 km on the bike and my average is 4.2 L/100 km (56.0 mpg) based on the ECU. This is 95% highway/5% city driving, summer only (as I live in Canada). I have used a mixture of fuel ranging from regular (on rare occasions when no other grade is available) to premium (my normal fill-up). This is fuel from fill-ups in Canada and the USA as this is where I normally tour. My touring speed ranges from 100-110 kmh (62-68 mph) on secondary roads (about 70% of my riding) to over 140 kmh (85 mph) on the freeways/interstates when unavoidable (about 30% of the time). I am very happy with the fuel mileage and the FJ-09 in general. The only issue I have had in over 15K km of riding is a coolant leak due to a loose radiator hose, which my dealer took care of the same day as it happened. My only gripe about the FJ-09 is that I wish it had a little more wind protection for my legs, since they are constantly covered in bugs after a long day of riding.

• 2 months later...
I have been donig manual mpg calculations for some months now... Its kind of odd consumption, sometimes up to 25 kms/lt, a couple of times goes down to 12 ... Avg so far, 18 kms/lt ... 2 less than ECU metrics... City and road... Lately more road than city ...

Rendimiento.png

Archived