Gearing change?

I find it amusing how different people have different expectations from this bike. Ex cruiser riders may find it psychologically hard to rev.

My last bike revved to 15,500 RPM and you could use 2nd gear all day as 2nd gear went up to 160kph.
Around town you could pull away from the lights in second and not change between lights.

On this I rarely get over 9,000 RPM..
Tongue-in-cheek firmly, I assume, sun!   Unless your last bike was a Bugatti Veyron...
Actually not tongue in cheek. 
My Yamaha R6 went to an indicated 15,500 RPM and 2nd gear would hit 160 kph.
I tested it many times.. (on a racetrack).

The 2001 model made max horsepower of 120 hp (87.6 kW) at 13,000 RPM, max speed 163 mph (262.4 km/h). 10.8 second quarter mile.
I never took mine over about 245 kph (on a racetrack).

• 1 year later...

so, anyone done this yet? 

i have a 15 kawi Vulcan S 650.  When it came out in 15, i was the first to experiment with ratios, i researched that the Versys 650 had one more tooth on the engine (forgot the number of teeth) so i ordered the kawi genuine part, it fit in the motor,

im absolutly glad i did the change, many have done it too. 

Im in the same predicament on this Tracer, i strongly feel adding a tooth on the motor (if theres space for it) will benefit, more than, reducing teeth in the rear.

i come from shifter kart racing and gear ratio choice was one of my strengths, every track i raced had its own ratio i would do.

anyone have a pic of the motor and sprocket? i can tell if theres enough room for a bigger sprocket. i do not feel this motor should scream as much as it does on the freeway.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, jrubicon said:

so, anyone done this yet? 

i have a 15 kawi Vulcan S 650.  When it came out in 15, i was the first to experiment with ratios, i researched that the Versys 650 had one more tooth on the engine (forgot the number of teeth) so i ordered the kawi genuine part, it fit in the motor,

im absolutly glad i did the change, many have done it too. 

Im in the same predicament on this Tracer, i strongly feel adding a tooth on the motor (if theres space for it) will benefit, more than, reducing teeth in the rear.

i come from shifter kart racing and gear ratio choice was one of my strengths, every track i raced had its own ratio i would do.

anyone have a pic of the motor and sprocket? i can tell if theres enough room for a bigger sprocket. i do not feel this motor should scream as much as it does on the freeway.

I went the other direction and have tried both -1 tooth on front as well as +2 teeth on the rear to get quicker acceleration. Even raising the cruising rpm’s, I still don’t use 6th gear on the highway unless I am over 70mph, the motor is just revving too low. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 9/7/2017 at 10:33 AM, suncoaster said:

Actually not tongue in cheek. 
My Yamaha R6 went to an indicated 15,500 RPM and 2nd gear would hit 160 kph.
I tested it many times.. (on a racetrack).

The 2001 model made max horsepower of 120 hp (87.6 kW) at 13,000 RPM, max speed 163 mph (262.4 km/h). 10.8 second quarter mile.
I never took mine over about 245 kph (on a racetrack).

It has been shown many times that Yamaha lied with the tacho on the R6, i myself have seen how far out it is on a dyno.

4 hours ago, betoney said:

I went the other direction and have tried both -1 tooth on front as well as +2 teeth on the rear to get quicker acceleration. Even raising the cruising rpm’s, I still don’t use 6th gear on the highway unless I am over 70mph, the motor is just revving too low. 

@betoney

At a given speed, what RPM change is caused by a 1 tooth change on the primary?

For example, my 09 turns about 5200 RPM (indicated) at 70 MPH. If go 1-tooth larger primary sprocket what will the resulting RPM be at  70 mph?  (Is a spedo error introduced in the process also?)

nhc

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, nhchris said:

@betoney

At a given speed, what RPM change is caused by a 1 tooth change on the primary?

For example, my 09 turns about 5200 RPM (indicated) at 70 MPH. If go 1-tooth larger primary sprocket what will the resulting RPM be at  70 mph?  (Is a spedo error introduced in the process also?)

nhc

One tooth larger on the front sprocket will result in slower acceleration and lower engine rpm's at cruising speed, my experience has shown about a 300 rpm difference (of course I changed the gearing in the opposite direction so my cruising rpm went up).  On this bike the speedometer was not affected by a gearing change, I ride with a GPS permanently installed and noticed zero difference, regardless of the gearing I am always showing a 2mph difference..

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

there is a guy on youtube with a FZ09 and he swapped to a 17t.

im researching a 17t gear that is rubber dampened, i dont want just a steel sprocket, prefer dampened sprocket like factory.

Archived