Inside the FJ muffler

papac2000

What was wrong with what we did, Ty? Still lovin' mine, how about you?
Loving mine also, ended up taking my homemade baffle out and leaving it that way for now. Nice to have the choice, and fun to experiment! 
BTW: I've now done 3 FJ-09's now, everyone happy with the sound and notice the power increase too! I believe leaving the cat in mellows the sound, and leaves just enough back pressure to not kill the bottom end, as your dyno results showed. thumbup111.gif

Cheers, Ty

You two still have my vote for best exhaust  fix for least cost.  Besides, without the actual work completed there really isn't much to talk about.  For the rest of you, please do the work and show us how you did it and then give us the results.  You might even make the How To Index.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 1 month later...
I'm very interested in the weight difference from doing this mod.
Weight difference would have been negligible, mainly because the cat wasn't removed. They did this for the sound and maybe some hp improvement.  

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Yes, I expect weight savings is negligible. I just used a wire feed mig with mild wire. Not proper, I know, but after 6200km it's holding up fine. The shell is very thin and as a result it's tricky to weld up without blowing through. Short stitches is the ticket. I did get the sound I was after with this mod and dyno results showed about 5hp while maintaining 13.0 AFR across the board. If you're after weight savings, this isn't for you. If you're after backfire popping or flames, not for you either (nice and mellow deep tone). If you don't have access to a good or at least decent fabricator/welder, then you might reconsider as it's not for an average tinkerer.
BUT if you get satisfaction from diy mods instead of laying out $ for blingy pipes (can you tell I can't afford/justify the sexy Akra system?), and can arrange for the needed trade skills....then step up and make your FJ sound tough! Glad I cut into mine way back in January, lol.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Yes, I expect weight savings is negligible. I just used a wire feed mig with mild wire. Not proper, I know, but after 6200km it's holding up fine. The shell is very thin and as a result it's tricky to weld up without blowing through. Short stitches is the ticket. I did get the sound I was after with this mod and dyno results showed about 5hp while maintaining 13.0 AFR across the board. If you're after weight savings, this isn't for you. If you're after backfire popping or flames, not for you either (nice and mellow deep tone). If you don't have access to a good or at least decent fabricator/welder, then you might reconsider as it's not for an average tinkerer. BUT if you get satisfaction from diy mods instead of laying out $ for blingy pipes (can you tell I can't afford/justify the sexy Akra system?), and can arrange for the needed trade skills....then step up and make your FJ sound tough! Glad I cut into mine way back in January, lol.
So am I !! 
Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
Hi , is there any change in performance and sound ?. 
Thanks 
Read 5 posts up: "I did get the sound I was after with this mod and dyno results showed about 5hp while maintaining 13.0 AFR across the board." 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Papac, I am now running the Graves full exhaust fuel map and find the bike is very smooth now and has oodles of power. It might be a tad rich though. This winter, that may be something for you to play around with using the flashtune software.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I'm hoping to get Flashtune over the winter. If I do and I learn anything significant, I'll be sure to share. My thoughts lately have been that a reflash for stock exhaust might be the best place to start for those of us with this type of exhaust mod, as fuelling seems pretty spot on. I'm mostly after smoother throttle maps from the flash.
If time or funds get short before spring, I may just get a base reflash and re-run the bike on the dyno. Hafta wait and see.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• 2 months later...
new to the forum, but a member on the FZ forum...in gutting the can to put in a straight pipe and repack that huge cavity, why not split the can down width wise and weld it back up? certainly can get away with having it mounted by one mount and you achieve, sound, hp and weight savings...

• 1 month later...
Papac, I am now running the Graves full exhaust fuel map and find the bike is very smooth now and has oodles of power. It might be a tad rich though. This winter, that may be something for you to play around with using the flashtune software.
Flashtune on order, hope to have it next week.....
2015 Matte Grey