Inside the FJ muffler

papac2000

The O2 probe is from innovate. The cross section of it might be 1/2" by 3/4".....the part that gets inserted into the pipe anyway. The fact that it sticks into the muffler a piece may screw the flow up too besides it just reducing the outlet size.
As far as fueling, I think the fact that you can order these bikes with dealer installed Akra systems suggests the factory map is a bit over rich at WOT to allow for this. The tip of my exhaust is plenty dark on the inside, she's gettin plenty of fuel.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I'm about 100miles from the nearest dyno, so it's not something that's going to happen right away. Eventually I would like to, but I would also like to dyno them back to back on the same day if I do. Easy to swap out, but it will require trailering the bike, or having someone follow me with the 2nd exhaust...

The O2 probe is from innovate. The cross section of it might be 1/2" by 3/4".....the part that gets inserted into the pipe anyway. The fact that it sticks into the muffler a piece may screw the flow up too besides it just reducing the outlet size. As far as fueling, I think the fact that you can order these bikes with dealer installed Akra systems suggests the factory map is a bit over rich at WOT to allow for this. The tip of my exhaust is plenty dark on the inside, she's gettin plenty of fuel.
My tip is dark also. Ya, I figure I may be giving up a couple of HP on top, but it's worth it to make it sound exactly the way I want. :))

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Some more progress today... got the perforated tube and outlet welded in.

DSC_0420_zpscxhlrnx7.jpg
DSC_0421_zpspigfdlko.jpg
DSC_0422_zps14toec1b.jpg

Now I just need to fabricate brackets for the decorative outlet cover, pack it, and weld the top back on. Sorry for the slow progress, but I'm trying to cram this in between the rest of my life... ;)

Some more progress today... got the perforated tube and outlet welded in. 
DSC_0420_zpscxhlrnx7.jpg
DSC_0421_zpspigfdlko.jpg
DSC_0422_zps14toec1b.jpg

Now I just need to fabricate brackets for the decorative outlet cover, pack it, and weld the top back on. Sorry for the slow progress, but I'm trying to cram this in between the rest of my life... ;)

The important thing is progress, looking good!

Ty

• Premium Member
Some more progress today... got the perforated tube and outlet welded in. Now I just need to fabricate brackets for the decorative outlet cover, pack it, and weld the top back on. Sorry for the slow progress, but I'm trying to cram this in between the rest of my life... ;)
Looking good. I wonder how much the muffler will weigh with all that junk removed? 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 weeks later...
Again, sorry for the slow progress... life gets in the way.

This morning I fixed up the brackets for the outlet garnish. I used the stock brackets cut off the outlet I removed.

DSC_0425_zpsmr640mdt.jpg
DSC_0423_zpsl9t8xwru.jpg

I tried to make sure everything was in about the same place as stock... we'll see how I did when I get around to bolting it up to the bike!

All that's left is packing it and welding the top back on.

More progress...

Started packing the muffler:

Layer 1, fiberglass mat packing material -

DSCN0998_zpszewxbce0.jpg

Layer 2, stainless steel wool mat packing material -

DSCN0999_zps9j012x2s.jpg

Layer 3, coarse stainless steel wool (food service scrubbing sponges) -

DSCN1003_zpsdwtnx6og.jpg

Obviously, these layers will be repeated on top, under the 'lid' as it gets welded back on. My hope is that the coarse stainless wool will take most of the sound energy out of the exhaust pulses before it gets to the fiberglass, making it both reasonably quiet, and durable. There's lots of room in the muffler, and I'm packing it tightly, except where things are pretty narrow on the right side, so there's not a lot of material there. Hope to get the top welded on later today.

More progress... 
Started packing the muffler:

Layer 1, fiberglass mat packing material -

Layer 2, stainless steel wool mat packing material -

Layer 3, coarse stainless steel wool (food service scrubbing sponges) -

Obviously, these layers will be repeated on top, under the 'lid' as it gets welded back on. My hope is that the coarse stainless wool will take most of the sound energy out of the exhaust pulses before it gets to the fiberglass, making it both reasonably quiet, and durable. There's lots of room in the muffler, and I'm packing it tightly, except where things are pretty narrow on the right side, so there's not a lot of material there. Hope to get the top welded on later today.
Looking good, sound clips soon I hope! 
Ty

I'm not worried about the strength of the welds, and they won't be visible when mounted on the bike, so I'm not that concerned with the appearance. If I'm overjoyed with the result, I may pull it off and make it pretty... ;)