Inside the FJ muffler

papac2000

Since that's essentially what a DB killer is, I can't see the harm in doing it that way. It may limit power output since the outlet is the bottleneck. My opinion after the two versions so far is that the happy medium would be a 1in hole in the baffle with the 2in outlet.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I did try sticking the original tailpipe inside the 2" pipe, same sound, but quieter. So it would seem that may be a way to go. Sound seems to be affected by those 2 things, hole size into cat chamber, and outlet size. ( assuming you get rid of the s pipe. )

Up in the canyons early this morning, I thought it sounded great. Just a enough of a low rumble when cruising along in 5-6 gear to let you know it's there, and nice rising pitched growl/wail when you get on it in lower gears. I still think it's a bit loud stoplight to stoplight, but think i'm getting used to it.

A friend up there thought it sounded great. ( he's not riding his FJ atm, because of recall, ack! )

Ty
'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
I did try sticking the original tailpipe inside the 2" pipe, same sound, but quieter. So it would seem that may be a way to go. Sound seems to be affected by those 2 things, hole size into cat chamber, and outlet size. ( assuming you get rid of the s pipe. )  
Up in the canyons early this morning, I thought it sounded great. Just a enough of a low rumble when cruising along in 5-6 gear to let you know it's there, and nice rising pitched growl/wail when you get on it in lower gears. I still think it's a bit loud stoplight to stoplight, but think i'm getting used to it.

A friend up there thought it sounded great. ( he's not riding his FJ atm, because of recall, ack! )

Ty
Do you wear earplugs Ty? I always do so it may not be too loud for me.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Ty

I do not. Check your messages.

Ty

• Premium Member
I do not.  
Ty

What did you say? I could not hear you. blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Exhaust number 3 going under the knife courtesy of my friend Ty. The same mod he did, but without the 2 inch pipe being added to the tip. I will post up sound when it gets done.
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Exhaust number 3 going under the knife courtesy of my friend Ty. The same mod he did, but without the 2 inch pipe being added to the tip. I will post up sound when it gets done.

Pretty sure you'll love it. I get compliments on mine.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• Premium Member
Ulewz, does this mod version include the 1.5in hole in the cat chamber or smaller? I'm thinking of doing this version since my welding is shethouse. Please let us know your method & review.
Thanks.
And then there were three. Thanks a million Ty. The hole into the cat chamber is the size of the S pipe that got cut. Part of the cut pipe is put into the hole in the Cat chamber and welded on. I had Ty leave the stock outlet port on, and it still sounds amazing and is way easier to fab up. Two thumbs up. Hopefully Ty will post us some more pictures. He also did a great job on the welding. I am very happy. rilla_zpsahcuowie.gif 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
I also feel bad, as the welding he did on mine looks almost factory. Great job Ty.
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Glad you like it Lewis! :)

Looking forward to hearing your review when you get a chance to give it a good riding test. Sounded great in your yard.  A bit quieter maybe, maybe not, but the same deep sound. I learned a few tricks this go around with the welding. I'm used to welding on thicker material, so this was a good learning experience for me.

I was able to totally remove the stub of the S pipe, right up to the final necked down weld on the stock tip, ( papac200 will know what i'm talking about ) using a dremel from inside the exhaust tip end. So the rear chamber is totally open into the the tailpipe.

I did take some pics, and I will post them up when I get a chance.

And thank you for the expert mounting and balancing of my Suzuki's new rear tire! thumbup111.gif

Ty

Ty,
you must show us some of the pics to see what you did on this version.
I'm thinking this is the direction I'll be taking since it doesn't require an extra piece of pipe.
Looking forward to your review & sound clips......
Cheers my good men! Pioneers of pipes!
Steve

• Premium Member
This is what Ty did to mine also. Cut the S pipe and welded it into the new hole by the Cat chamber.
The only difference is he did not mod the outlet pipe. I still have the factory little outlet pipe cut off as far up as possible. That is the picture you need to see from Ty.
exhaust22.jpg

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Ok, so here's what I did to Lewis's muffler:

After cutting out the s pipe and drilling additional hole, you are still left with this remnant. This goes thru the outer shell and is welded to the outer tailpipe sleeve a couple inches from the tip. We want to remove that.

lewis1.jpg

I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut thru the inner layer only, going in from the outside tailpipe tip.

lewis2.jpg

S pipe remnant removed.

lewis3.jpg

Now the exhaust flow can go directly out the rear chamber relatively unobstructed.

lewis4b.jpg

Secondary hole getting pipe welded in.

lewis5.jpg

Top welded back on. I had cut along existing weld line where possible this time. Helped when rewelding it back together.

lewis6.jpg

To sum up:

lewis7.jpg

Ty