Inside the FJ muffler

papac2000

Lovely Ty!
right, got it now with removing the inside pipe. The Dremel tool will come in handy to do the inside part. Perfect, I have that covered!
I noticed only 4 small bead welds to secure the remnant S pipe to the cat chamber? Not all around?
If that's the case, even easier! The hardest part is to cleanly re weld the cover!
Is the muffler Stainless steel? Damn, will have to get stainless wire for the Mig.....
Thanks again Ty & Ulewz!
Cheers,
Steve

• Premium Member
Lovely Ty! right, got it now with removing the inside pipe. The Dremel tool will come in handy to do the inside part. Perfect, I have that covered!
I noticed only 4 small bead welds to secure the remnant S pipe to the cat chamber? Not all around?
If that's the case, even easier! The hardest part is to cleanly re weld the cover!
Is the muffler Stainless steel? Damn, will have to get stainless wire for the Mig.....
Thanks again Ty & Ulewz!
Cheers,
Steve
The muffler is stainless steel, so stainless wire is a must. Ty said he learned some things with mine concerning welding and mine came out nice. The muffler material is thin, so burn through is a possibility. Maybe Ty can post up his settings on his Mig to make things easier for you. So when are you going to work on your muffler? It ends up sounding very nice, and if you want it louder, just do the 2 inch exit pipe-ectomy later. I am happy with the way mine came out and is way easier to fabricate. The next time Ty and I ride together, we will compare sounds.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Lovely Ty! right, got it now with removing the inside pipe. The Dremel tool will come in handy to do the inside part. Perfect, I have that covered!
Thanks again Ty & Ulewz!
Cheers,
Steve
The muffler is stainless steel, so stainless wire is a must. Ty said he learned some things with mine concerning welding and mine came out nice. The muffler material is thin, so burn through is a possibility. Maybe Ty can post up his settings on his Mig to make things easier for you. So when are you going to work on your muffler? It ends up sounding very nice, and if you want it louder, just do the 2 inch exit pipe-ectomy later. I am happy with the way mine came out and is way easier to fabricate. The next time Ty and I ride together, we will compare sounds.
The mig tip is hard to get in around the pipe section. But look at the pipe next to it, only welded top and bottom. I'ts not structural, it's not going anywhere. Make sure you wirebrush the soot off the chamber wall before welding.

Yes, I used stainless wire. I dont have tri-mix gas, just using C25 which probably makes welding on this more difficult than it should be. But look at the funky factory welds on your muffler. Blackish fat, droopy beads. Probably quick hot fast welds, so as not to burn thru this material. I'd just burn a hole if I tried that. Probably robot welded.

Good luck,

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Excellent work Ty! I am curious if the outlet really poses a flow restriction or not. Would love to dyno these back to back to know for sure. It's fun and satisfying stuff when you get such nice results for so little outlay of cash. My kinda mods! Have fun riding guys.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

LOL....when am going to try this mod on my bike? When I get it!
I seriously have to sell my Ducati 748R to @eatpasta when he bothers to come to Oz to pick it up!
The good lady of the house won't let me have 4 bikes....

So Ty, you didn't use gas with the Mig? C25, is this stainless fluxed core wire? I think the naming is different here. What gauge wire did you use? 0.9mm?
Do you recall your settings?
Thanks go to you 3 pioneers of pipeworx!

Cheers,
Steve

LOL....when am going to try this mod on my bike? When I get it! I seriously have to sell my Ducati 748R to @eatpasta when he bothers to come to Oz to pick it up!

So Ty, you didn't use gas with the Mig? C25, is this stainless fluxed core wire? I think the naming is different here. What gauge wire did you use? 0.9mm?
Do you recall your settings?
Thanks go to you 3 pioneers of pipeworx!

Cheers,
Steve
C25 is 75% Argon, 25% CO2 is standard mig welding gas here. .030" wire. TRI-MIX - 90% Helium - 7.5% Argon - 2.5% Co2 is the best for stainless, but I dont have another cylinder. These aren't structural welds, so strength is not an issue. Stainless flux core wire might be an option, never tried it.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Guest eatpasta
LOL....when am going to try this mod on my bike? When I get it! I seriously have to sell my Ducati 748R to @eatpasta when he bothers to come to Oz to pick it up!

i'll give you $14

So, last night on eBay, I scored a complete stock exhaust off an FZ-09.  Removed by the dealer at time of sale for installation of an aftermarket exhaust, so brand new!

From the parts diagrams, it appears the FZ-09 is identical to the FJ-09 with the exception of the cosmetic cover that goes over the exhaust outlet.

My intention is to cut the entire catalytic chamber open, remove the cat substrate, and turn the whole thing into a high flow muffler.  I'll be sure to post pics when it arrives and I get going on the project.  I really like some of the things you guys have done, and it's given me some great ideas for this!

Yesterday I received my FZ-09 exhaust, purchased as a new take-off from eBay.  I wanted to experiment on a spare exhaust, just in case this all goes horribly wrong, or I just get tired of being noisy and want to go back to stock. ;)

First thing, I weighed it on my super-accurate scientifically calibrated bathroom scale:  17.5lbs

Then I started comparing it with the stock FJ-09 exhaust, looking for any differences.

DSC_0373_zpsswj8ienk.jpg

The first thing to note is that the cosmetic outlet cover is longer on the FZ version, and has an additional bracket forward.  This would interfere with the centerstand on the FJ.

DSC_0374_zpsrvcretta.jpg

However, the FJ cosmetic cover fits on the FZ version, with one bracket being slightly in the way.

DSC_0376_zpska1k2kfd.jpg

Here is the stock FJ with the cover removed showing the two brackets that hold the cover.

DSC_0375_zpsykkgy58m.jpg

And here are the different brackets on the FZ version that will need to be removed.

DSC_0378_zpsueexsch4.jpg

The exhaust itself, and the top bracket which mounts to the frame, appear identical.

DSC_0377_zps6escyfrn.jpg

So, it appears that the FZ version can easily be used on the FJ by cutting off the two unused brackets, and fabricating a bracket for the FJ cosmetic cover, which is already required when increasing the size of the outlet tubing.  Easy peasy!  So, now we know we have a cheap source for stock exhausts!

Next step is to cut the muffler/cat section open and examine the guts.  My intention is to do much more extensive surgery than the pioneers here, and perhaps construct a straight through exhaust, with no cat, similar to an aftermarket setup, but concealed in the stock box.  Stay tuned....

Good find. It will be nice to have a spare system to work from. Be prepared...if you remove the cat to make a straight through system, it will need some sort of packing or it will be pretty darn loud. The system Ty made already barks and shouts quite nicely on accel and pops some on decel. From my dyno work, I feel the cat and front pipes do not pose a flow restriction, as the gains from the mods I made are very similar to gains claimed by full systems. By all means, it will be cool to see which way you go, but I feel it will be a lot of extra work for modest or negligible gains. Have fun....after all, that's half the point. 
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I definitely plan to pack it with some sort of sound absorbent material. What I'm thinking is running a perforated tube all the way through after removing whatever 'guts' I can remove, and then packing around it. I think it might even shed some weight.... I've also considered making it into a reverse flow 'turbo' style. Who knows, it's all a big experiment!! I certainly don't want something ridiculously loud.

I definitely plan to pack it with some sort of sound absorbent material. What I'm thinking is running a perforated tube all the way through after removing whatever 'guts' I can remove, and then packing around it. I think it might even shed some weight.... I've also considered making it into a reverse flow 'turbo' style. Who knows, it's all a big experiment!! I certainly don't want something ridiculously loud.
There is a youtube vid of a guy who did just that on an MT-09. Not sure where he was from, but it sounded like he was speaking Spanish. I linked to it in another exhaust thread on here. It did actually sound really nice and mellow
2015 Matte Grey