Inside the FJ muffler

papac2000

;)Great work Ty! So, you didn't cut your O2 sensor wire off then?
You & Papac have pioneered the work for a budget do it yourself pipe work!
1 question I asked Papac, could you have added a little bit more of the cut off pipe including the bend when you added it to your new hole to point it out towards the outlet? Like the photo you asked Papac about?
Would you get the required back pressure?
Other than that query, great work you two!
Cheers,
Steve

I left that idea for the next guy to try. ;)

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Finally got out to do a test ride up in the canyons. I can now hear my bike as I go thru the gears ! thumbup111.gif

Triple sound is very addicting...  wub.png

Really glad I did this project, and it cost almost nothing. Just time. Here's the vid:

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCBeU9R3FsY]

Ty

now we just need to put another FJ in that video with stock exhaust for a good comparison that everyone on the interwebz can hear.

Than when i am jealous enough of the mod on your bike...we can figure out how to do it to my bike too. HHAAHHAA

That sounds great Ty!
Even from the other side!
That is really one cheap mod and gives you what we are all after, sounds of a triple!
Great work mate!
You waiting on me to weld my system? No way, I'm crap at MIG. I have a TIG fella to do that!
I'm OK with a Dremel & grinder though!
Cheers,
Steve

Sounds really great. Yours has just a little more popping on decel than mine, perhaps because of the larger opening in the baffle. It is a very rewarding mod for those that have the equipment at hand.

Cheers,
Chris
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Sounds really great. Yours has just a little more popping on decel than mine, perhaps because of the larger opening in the baffle. It is a very rewarding mod for those that have the equipment at hand. 
Cheers,
Chris
So when are you guys heading over to Edinburgh next?  :)

Good work both of you!

Cheers,
Chris
Ya, I was surprised when I heard the video. I didn't hear the decel popping much from inside my helmet. But ya, I do have a bigger 2nd opening than you.  No worries, I could always block off the AIS, but I see no need. I was riding it harder than normal in that vid also, downshifting and such. You're hearing it at it's loudest.

Ty

• Premium Member
Cheers,
Chris
So when are you guys heading over to Edinburgh next?  :) 
Good work both of you!
I live 15 minutes from Ty and can't get him to do mine. :'( 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Really a great mod, that sounds great.  Good work you two. Thanks for the video too, well done. :D

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Just to continue the muffler experimental mod, I may at some point construct a simple DB killer insert. While sounding killer and does NOT drone at all on the freeway, I think it may be a bit too loud on the street.

It sounds to me somewhat like an Akropovich without the DB killer. ( maybe not quite that loud! ) The low notes are great, but like the Akro, a bit loud. With the DB insert in, it's pretty quiet, too quiet for my tastes.

Soooo, it would be a simple project to play around with making a DB killer. I could play around with the configuration till I get it just right. I'l keep you guys updated, Fun stuff!

Ty

Ty

I don't find mine loud. I assume the extra noise is proportionate to the size of the hole through the baffle. Mine is perhaps half the size yours is.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I don't find mine loud. I assume the extra noise is proportionate to the size of the hole through the baffle. Mine is perhaps half the size yours is.
That's good info then. If someone else were to do this, they could know to make second hole according to how loud they want it. Mine is just a little bit louder than I want. Could be just a personal preference. Gives me an excuse to tinker more. :P 
I'll judge the reaction next time I go up Angeles Crest Highway for breakfast. At least a couple of FJ-09s are usually there, plus a couple that may buy one. They are gonna be surprised at the sound of my "stock" exhaust..hahaha! :D

That's what I really love about this mod, besides being free. It retains the cat for possible future emissions testing laws, and I really think the stock exhaust is very cool looking. More so than any other bike i've owned. The extra power doesn't hurt anything too, thx for dynoing yours!

Ty

• Premium Member
Ok Ty and Papac, if I do this, what do you think about cutting the inside outlet tube off, adding the hole to the center chamber, but leaving the stock outlet pipe attached to the outlet. In other words, not replacing the outlet pipe with a 2 inch pipe, but cutting it off inside the muffler two places and adding a section to the cat chamber as Ty has done?
The purpose would be to quiet it down a tad from what Ty has done, but still give it some growl. If too quiet, I could always cut it off at the second weld and put a 2 inch piece on later.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)