Center Stand mod for more cornering clearance.

empire00

Since this has recently come up I remembered I took some pictures while I was preforming this mod.

Here you can see where my center stand has been scraping.

IMG_2799.jpg

Stock measurement with my bike on a rearstand. This could be done on the sidestand but I wanted to have a good way to get measurements (and pictures).

IMG_2800.jpg

Here is the Rubber piece that you will be modifying. Hold the sidestand down off the stop and you should be able to twist and pull the piece out of the slot in the stand.

IMG_2801.jpg

Here is the measurement with the piece completely removed.

IMG_2802.jpg

The piece in question.

IMG_2803.jpg

In the vice ready to be cut. I used a hacksaw for this step. You could probably use a razor knife if you needed.

IMG_2804.jpg

After modification.

IMG_2805.jpg

Back on the bike. It should just twist and slide right back into the slot like before.

IMG_2806.jpg

Completed measurement. Gained around a inch of clearance for the low cost of Free and about 15 minutes of work.

IMG_2807.jpg

Hope this helps anyone else who wants some extra ground clearance without eliminating the center stand.

• Premium Member
Good idea need execution but now your side stand is blocking the flow of your exhaust canister and by the way whose exhaust are you running

You could probably trim the rubber stop a little less and gain less clearance but the first question is is what is your suspension set at and are you heavily loaded and with a passenger to be dragging the center stand

I would never get close to mine before I'd be dragging the foot pegs

inquiring minds want to know

Good idea need execution but now your side stand is blocking the flow of your exhaust canister and by the way whose exhaust are you running 
You could probably trim the rubber stop a little less and gain less clearance but the first question is is what is your suspension set at and are you heavily loaded and with a passenger to be dragging the center stand

I would never get close to mine before I'd be dragging the foot pegs

inquiring minds want to know
Not heavily loaded, no passenger. I only seem to drag the center stand mid corner on less than smooth surfaces, bumps, and or dips. Peg feelers are very close to the ground at that point.

It really isn't as bad as it looks in the pictures, the exhaust has lots of clearance still. It is the Akra Ti system. It is missing the sticker as I bought it used and the previous owner apparently cleaned it with something that stripped the paint off the sticker.

• Supporting Member
@empire00 - Nice write-up on the modification. I did something similar to mine, but only removed about half the amount you did from the rubber stop, then ground about 1/4” of metal off the angled leading edge of the centerstand foot on the right side. That combination cleared up about 90% of my ground clearance issues when I was still running the stock suspension. With the the Ohlins shock and reworked forks, I’ve had zero clearance issues, despite carrying more comfortable cornering speeds.

I was not at all trying to rain on a good idea empire00. Your pics were better than mine by far so good on ya. I think it's funny how such a small mod can make such a difference. BTW, the rubber bumper and the 8" long feelers were put there by the legal department, not the engineers, and certainly not the true enthusiasts at Yamamaha. I love these "well engineered", easily defeatable, features.

Excellent to all - yes I will try this first. And no its not my set up. the suspension is custom built and set up properly - and it's probably why I can get faster corners with more stability.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

So what I've found is the center stand drags long before the pegs themselves. I really appreciate this post and wanted to add some photos to give clarity on what I've been experiencing while riding the FJ. 

The feelers were removed after about a month of owning and I began dragging the Centerstand which was a little sketchy in moments but obviously hasn't slowed me down.  I am cutting my rubber stop down as I write this because I ride daily one up and drag the stand and pegs. 
When I do ride two up it's a nightmare. (May need to stiffen the rear suspension but not sure how stiff to go for a 170lb rider. Plus an occasional 110-130lb passenger

Open to suggestions.1507050184296983711733.jpg1507050351191358713121.jpg15070504075681788373355.jpg15070504559121518392179.jpg1507050557861716902289.jpg1507050609820583344681.jpg

They look like worn pegs and use of full width of tyre in the first four shots.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
Despite ballooning to 240 #s + ATG since my surgery (loosing the weight is much harder for me now at +63 than when I was younger), I still have not dragged anything and I'm on my 3rd set of ST tires.

Now I'm no closer than about a 1/2" from the edge of the tires but have the much longer FZ6 style rubber coversed foot pegs which have maybe 1/2" curb feelers and have the added weight of a Shad SH46 top case, SH36 side cases and Givi case guards, and still never dragged ANYTHING.

I guess I'm just slow and old.

• Premium Member
Despite ballooning to 240 #s + ATG since my surgery (loosing the weight is much harder for me now at +63 than when I was younger), I still have not dragged anything and I'm on my 3rd set of ST tires. 
Now I'm no closer than about a 1/2" from the edge of the tires but have the much longer FZ6 style rubber coversed foot pegs which have maybe 1/2" curb feelers and have the added weight of a Shad SH46 top case, SH36 side cases and Givi case guards, and still never dragged ANYTHING.

I guess I'm just slow and old.

Maby not, I've ridden with guys who were dragging parts all day when I never touched down once so whats that tell ya.
BLB

Archived