Center Stand mod for more cornering clearance.

empire00

I'm curious if your accidentally/unknowingly pushing down on the center stand? I do rest my heel on it from time to time, that's why I had to ask...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Despite ballooning to 240 #s + ATG since my surgery (loosing the weight is much harder for me now at +63 than when I was younger), I still have not dragged anything and I'm on my 3rd set of ST tires. 
Now I'm no closer than about a 1/2" from the edge of the tires but have the much longer FZ6 style rubber coversed foot pegs which have maybe 1/2" curb feelers and have the added weight of a Shad SH46 top case, SH36 side cases and Givi case guards, and still never dragged ANYTHING.

I guess I'm just slow and old.

Maby not, I've ridden with guys who were dragging parts all day when I never touched down once so whats that tell ya.
I can personally vouch for bob... hes quick through the mountains.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member

Maby not, I've ridden with guys who were dragging parts all day when I never touched down once so whats that tell ya.
That we both are smooth, fast riders that can go fast without dragging hard parts yet stay with those that do?

I zoomed in on the pictures and I think you’re right. Many scrapes. I in the camp of some others who have no chicken strips at all, yet somehow manage to rarely if ever drag anything. I think it’s called technique.

I think it’s called technique.
Yes I think it is,  

it's also things like rider weight, suspension, suspension settings, tyre style/size/ pressure and slip/slide, road conditions, particularly mid corner bumps.

There are lots of variables

• Premium Member
That is why I brought up how fat I am that despite my weight and stock suspension I'm still not dragging anything

so call it technique but whereas I do shift my upper body into the turn and have my head behind the mirror and my butt a bit off the saddle inboar, I'm not hanging off significantly and dragging a knee to avoid draging hard parts

• 1 month later...
Good idea - I'll do this soon. I have the Yamaha lowering kit, and lost a bit of ground clearance. I also have the "European adventure footpegs" with feelers removed of course. During aggressive corning, even leaning off the bike, I have struck both right and left centerstand sides down. I have not touched the footpegs yet.

I hear what you're all saying. But three factor here in the uk Is that roads haven't had money spent on them and a combination of extremely dry conditions and then seriously wet episodes have made uneven roads a real issue.

On suspension, the bike is set up correctly, on technique, I have been riding for 35 years, RoSPA gold certified (That's Police level advanced riding) with retest every three years, I've never come off a bike, and not made a single insurance claim car or bike (I was an advanced car observer for The Institution of Advanced Motorists).

You may ridicule me all you like on peg and stand scraping, and how shit a rider I may be because it happens, and how moronic anyone that does it may be (incidentally, the stand doesn't hit on a race track), but on this bike it is a liability on uneven roads.

So stop the snide insinuations, because (and I don't know for sure of course, you might be so much more superior) it may be that I might just be an okay rider.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Archived