The price-slashing has begun...

Apologies if I have already posted something similar (though I cannot find it!).

Here in Oz, where the FJ/ MT-09 Tracer has been a sales flop for reasons unknown, brand-new zero km 2016s are now being offered for as little as AUD$12,499 otd.   

That's a whopping AUD$2500 or so less than what I paid six months ago for my new 2016 machine... I was happy to pay AUD$15,000 including OE hard panniers, but would have been even more thrilled at AUD$12,499!   

Despite the earlier Tracer's flaws, and the modest upgrades to the faraway 2018 GT model, these prices would be great value here - maybe I'll see a few more on the road now!  

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Apologies if I have already posted something similar (though I cannot find it!). 
Here in Oz, where the FJ/ MT-09 Tracer has been a sales flop for reasons unknown, brand-new zero km 2016s are now being offered for as little as AUD$12,499 otd.   

That's a whopping AUD$2500 or so less than what I paid six months ago for my new 2016 machine... I was happy to pay AUD$15,000 including OE hard panniers, but would have been even more thrilled at AUD$12,499!   

Despite the earlier Tracer's flaws, and the modest upgrades to the faraway 2018 GT model, these prices would be great value here - maybe I'll see a few more on the road now!  

I actually seen two of them on the road yesterday, I was in shock! I pretty much only get to see Hardly Rideables and small commuter bikes.

eek, that's still $9600 US. I guess Yam AUS thinks the locals are made of mining riches or something. When it's 10K out the door, let us know.
Y'all should try buying a BMW car here - that's Bill Gates territory!   But kangaroos are cheap.   PS Pattonme - why the appearance of the column of letters on the left of your posts?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I actually seen two of them on the road yesterday, I was in shock! I pretty much only get to see Hardly Rideables and small commuter bikes.
I'm finding it hard to believe this, VDU!

Guest kernowjim
Most things are more expensive in Australia than the USA or even the UK/Europe...but I think salaries are higher so it's all relative, correct me if I'm wrong!

• Premium Member
I thought prices were a mixed bag in OZ. Restaurant meals were about the same as US prices when you factor in tips. Gasoline was a little higher, but not much; seemed about the same as Canadian fuel, but not even close to Europe.

Hotels are crazy expensive in Australia, as is alcohol. Good place to go if you want to quit drinking.

Most things are more expensive in Australia than the USA or even the UK/Europe...but I think salaries are higher so it's all relative, correct me if I'm wrong!
Thank god I'm no economist - but it's not as simple as doing a straight currency conversion to have an insight into relative values, country vs country. 
The marketing approach of various consumer goods companies has a lot to do with apparent/ perceived values: f'rinstance, Yamaha Australia chose to include 'free' OE panniers with the MT-09 Tracer for the Australian market.   Knowing that the normal cost of similar panniers might be around the AUD$1000 - $1200 mark, that certainly had some influence on my purchase.   

And of course volume counts for a great deal - selling more widgets usually results in lower prices.   Cost of living indices can be found on Google, and take into account such everyday items as cost of food, rent, transport, education, medical, etc., but I doubt if many such indices include the cost of an FJ-09/ MT-09 Tracer.

Whatever, I'm happy that I can afford one!

eek, that's still $9600 US. I guess Yam AUS thinks the locals are made of mining riches or something. When it's 10K out the door, let us know.
Y'all should try buying a BMW car here - that's Bill Gates territory!   But kangaroos are cheap.   PS Pattonme - why the appearance of the column of letters on the left of your posts?
The Kangaroos are more reliable too!!! 

Archived