Oil Drain Crush Washer

• Supporting Member
The one on the right is correct.
Are you sure about that?  The washer I get every time from the local dealer is the one on the left, it is concave and flattens as you tighten it.  Maybe I get the wrong one every time? 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The one on the right is correct. Here is a thought, only replace the washer if it is damaged. On the FJR Forum, some are still using the OEM washer after 78,000 miles and countless oil changes. I have gone to this method of reuse and now have exceeded 3 oil changes. You will know almost immediately if it isn't working, so you won't be headed out on a 14 day ride with a drippy oil plug. You are proceeding at your own risk, but pretty much a safe one.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

The one on the right is correct.
Are you sure about that?  The washer I get every time from the local dealer is the one on the left, it is concave and flattens as you tighten it.  Maybe I get the wrong one every time?
Yes, you most likely are getting a aluminium crush washer.  They are fine and can also be used multiple times.  Yamaha sell a crush washer with a bubble like side.  All dealers don't use OEM crush washers when doing oil changes.  Alum crush washers may run .33 ea while Yamaha crush washers run 3.85 ea.  just guessing on those cost figures to make the  point. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Hi guys, Just doing an oil change and first time using a new washer, I noticed its nothing like the original washer that come with bike, can anyone tell me if its the right one to use ?
one on he left is the original washer.
IMG_7181.jpg

thanks

My recent oil and filter change included the crush washer (bought with the Yamaha filter) - on the RIGHT.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

OK, I've seen this topic a few times and here's what I've got with my 2017:
No crush washer at all.
So I didn't really question it. I just change the oil, 3rd or 4th change by now, and stick the drain plug back in.
It never leaks.
?????
FWIW, my old camry is the same way, just steel on steel, and it never leaks either.

• Premium Member
I agree, the ones on the right are correct. (At least according to my local Yamaha Dealer) I bought a handful of them from him a few years ago, and just checked the bag. They look exactly the same.

Other crush washers may also work, but those are the ones that the dealer sold me.

• Premium Member
I've never replaced a drain plug washer on an engine or gearbox ever but I always put a couple of wraps of teflon tape on the threads otherwise your always likely to get some amount weepage around that plug. 
BLB

Archived