My journey for a Comfortable ride on my FJ09

• Premium Member
As the title says These are the things I've done to achieve a comfortable ride on my 2015 FJ09;
1) The seat. This has been a journey and a costly one. As many already know, the stock seat is poor. Does Yamaha have a secret agreement with aftermarket seat companies or is Yamaha sadists?
I knew immediately during the demo ride the seat had to go so I bought a Corbin seat with the bike. That seat went 6000 miles and it never broke in.So Corbin does a one time, up to one year from purchase, swap out to softer gel seat. That seat was better but I was still squirming at about 85 miles into my ride. Not acceptable. The Corbin looks great and some love them, but my butt doesn't have eyes and it just doesn't cut it for me.
So... I found on this forum, "Terry's Custom seats" I sent Terry my stock seat and Terry made me a great seat that seems to have did the trick. Feels great and my butt is happy. I want to add that I also use,"MotoSkiveez" padded riding underwear. I highly recommend these. Terry's seat basically saved me from selling this bike. Thanks Terry!
2) Windshield: Stock inadequate. After using a tall Er-Max clear windshield I found out the hard way that the tall Er-max windshield acted like a magnifying glass and when out in the sun with the sun in about 7 o'clock position,slightly melted the top of my instrument panel by the right indicator. I was very bummed out about that so I ditched the Er-Max tall windshield and got a parabellum tinted windshield. Much better windshield and less buffeting.
3) Pinrest earplugs. Cuts -20db of ambient sound and reduces ear fatigue greatly. Doesn't completely cancel sound so I'm aware of things around me.
4) Mirror extenders. Absolutely the best thing I've done to the bike. More of a safety thing than comfort but worth noting.
5) Heated Grips. When I bought the FJ09 I thought why would I need heated grips in Florida? Well after my first December morning where I had to stop to warm up my hands with a cup of coffee at a 7-Eleven, I realized that not getting heated grips was a big mistake. So I waited about a few months and ordered the heated grips from my dealer and it was one of the best decisions I made for the bike. I'll never own another motorcycle without heated grips.
6) A good quality Helmet. Helmets are personal preference. Don't cheap out. Get a good quality helmet. I choose a Shuberth. I'll never own another brand.
7) Good riding gear. I have comfortable boots and riding Clothes that are functional as well as comfortable. Another item to not cheap out on. I have Helite Safety air Jacket and vest. Good equipment. Check them out on You Tube.
Now I haven't changed the suspension from stock. I've set the sag where I'm happy but I realize an upgrade would be better. Maybe down the road? Also, cruise control maybe be in my future? I hoping I can get that as an upgrade when the GT comes out?
8) Tires. On my 2nd. Set of Michelin road pilot 4's. Love them! Especially in the rain. Wear like iron and handle with extreme confidence.
So that's it so far in the comfort dept for me. I hope this helps some of you... Peace...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Supporting Member
You make a lot of good points. There is nothing worse than being on a ride and something about the bike is nagging at you, that you just dont like. When you are comfortable and everything fits, it just makes the ride that much more enjoyable.
I made a lot of the same changes you did, and cant agree more about the custom seat and heated grips. In addition I also added the MCCruise, Forks by Matt and Penske shock. I wouldn't give up any of these mods if you paid me. My bike has everything that the upcoming Tracer GT features except the quick shifter, and I couldn't ask for a more complete do-it-all motorcycle

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Made a number of the same type of changes as you. The Corbin seat worked well for me. On the windshield I am swapping between the Calsci Touring and their shorty. Both perform super. I do not know if most would consider this a comfort item, but an ecu flash by 2wheeldynoworks worked wonders on smoothening out my throttle - makes me feel better. And almost forgot, a Traxxion Dynamics suspension upgrade was a massive improvement in comfort and performance.

• Premium Member
Great points about the helmet and gear. We often think of riding gear as being about safety first, weather protection second, and oh yeah if it's comfortable that's a bonus. Good riding gear should enhance comfort first and foremost; it makes or breaks the ride.

I think this is why so many in the Harley crowd hate helmets. If you only try the cheapest, most poorly designed helmet of course it will be uncomfortable.

When I choose gear my priorities are:

1. Comfort
2. Control/freedom of movement
3. Weather protection
4. Convenience
5. Safety
6. Appearance

• Premium Member
Parabellum windscreen clear stock aero deflectors on handlebars? 

Yes. But with my mirror extenders when I turn fully to the right it does just touch the windshield. Hasn't been an issue.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Riding comfort is subjective I realize but I must take issue with your statement that many of us know that the stock seat is poor. I think it is just fine.  No doubt you can find a more comfortable one if you're willing to spend the money. I don't believe it is necessary. I have more than 17,000 miles on mine and everything on the bike is stock, everything, and I am completely happy with it.  I do 300 mile days from time to time and the comfort is adequate and that includes the stock windshield. For many of you I don't think it is so much a matter of a comfortable seat or an adequate windshield as it is the fact that you MUST change something - anything - to make the bike "yours." Fine, I don't have a problem with that. Just don't go blaming the manufacturer because I think they do a good job most of the time.

• Supporting Member
Riding comfort is subjective I realize but I must take issue with your statement that many of us know that the stock seat is poor. I think it is just fine.  For many of you I don't think it is so much a matter of a comfortable seat or an adequate windshield as it is the fact that you MUST change something - anything - to make the bike "yours." Fine, I don't have a problem with that. Just don't go blaming the manufacturer because I think they do a good job most of the time.
While its great that YOU enjoy the stock seat, please dont invalidate the finding of others just because YOU dont find any shortcomings.  I absolutely did find the seat to be uncomfortable, enough that I spent hundreds of dollars on several different seats before finally getting a custom seat made.   
I dont enjoy mindlessly spending money, I would rather spend my money on tires and gas. 

• Premium Member
I wonder how much of the seat dissatisfaction is because of the upright riding position on the FJ. A lot of us came from traditional sport tourers with more leaned-forward riding positions. With the more upright FJ, suddenly there's more weight on our assets.

My last bike was a Triumph TT600. I thought the stock seat on that bike was wonderful. But the lower bars and high pegs took a lot of weight off my backside.

Riding comfort is subjective I realize but I must take issue with your statement that many of us know that the stock seat is poor. I think it is just fine.  For many of you I don't think it is so much a matter of a comfortable seat or an adequate windshield as it is the fact that you MUST change something - anything - to make the bike "yours." Fine, I don't have a problem with that. Just don't go blaming the manufacturer because I think they do a good job most of the time.
While its great that YOU enjoy the stock seat, please dont invalidate the finding of others just because YOU dont find any shortcomings.  I absolutely did find the seat to be uncomfortable, enough that I spent hundreds of dollars on several different seats before finally getting a custom seat made.   
I dont enjoy mindlessly spending money, I would rather spend my money on tires and gas. 

Then by your own admission you did something mindless. 

This might be a little off-track, but the most comfortable change to my ride is that I started riding my bicycle more.
I grew muscles where I had scrawny bones and then everything was fine.
Now it's winter, I'm not riding my bicycle much, and getting flabby, and the seat is 'getting harder'.
Go figure.

• Supporting Member

Then by your own admission you did something mindless.
Honestly, how is trying different seats until I find one that is comfortable considered mindless?  Its not like we can try them before we buy them.