My journey for a Comfortable ride on my FJ09

Riding comfort is subjective I realize but I must take issue with your statement that many of us know that the stock seat is poor. I think it is just fine.  No doubt you can find a more comfortable one if you're willing to spend the money. I don't believe it is necessary. I have more than 17,000 miles on mine and everything on the bike is stock, everything, and I am completely happy with it.  I do 300 mile days from time to time and the comfort is adequate and that includes the stock windshield. For many of you I don't think it is so much a matter of a comfortable seat or an adequate windshield as it is the fact that you MUST change something - anything - to make the bike "yours." Fine, I don't have a problem with that. Just don't go blaming the manufacturer because I think they do a good job most of the time.
Your personal opinion that the stock seat is 'just fine' is very much at odds with many - if not most - other owners here.   Indeed, I'm pretty sure that the OE seat ranks #1 in the dissatisfaction stakes on this Forum - you are one of the fortunate ones who find it OK.   One man's seat is another man's poison, as I have said before.    
The rest of your post is a bit self-indulgent, I find (YMMV).   I'm also in something of a minority in that I find the stock windscreen perfectly OK, but I wouldn't belittle those who differ!    notamused.png

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I find the stock seat adequate, but after 30 minutes it becomes a pain in the arse. I am commting 60 miles each way on a daily basis. I have ordered a custom seat from Terry's Custom seats. The price is only $250. Can't wait to get the seat back. 

I find the stock windscreen perfectly OK 
Charlatan! You don't even own a Tracer, do you?  
Here is a photo of the person who designed the Tracer/FJ windscreen:

N2QATkI.jpg
Sorry, but I don't geddit!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Sorry, but I don't geddit!
Just making light of the sideways direction this thread has taken. No offense intended.
No offense (or indeed offence) taken, keithu, but no understand either the too-subtle photo you posted!   And Charlie Tan or not (and not to be too precious about it) I'm currently on my third Tracer, so although I claim no expertise I think I can clearly put my hand up to having some experience!   

I believe the joke is that he's using his hand to shield his eyes from the sun rather than use his backwards cap as intended to achieve this. I found it pretty funny.
thanks, dbeau - I geddit now, but 'twas a bit too obscure for me, so I shall double-up on the medication immediately!
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
I suppose the joke resonates better with Americans. The baseball cap is our nation's second greatest invention after the Saturn V rocket, and we needed help from some Germans for that.

This is part of the fun when I get a new bike , modding it to my taste. I see alot of guys putting pipes on and reflashing the ECU , I  did the seat first (seat concepts) and second was the suspension . That Penske 8983 transformed the bike very nicely , I'm having a Penske 8975 built for my Suzuki from Taxxion .

• Premium Member
I put 100,000 miles on my 2015 FJ-09 all stock except windshield.
Yikes, really?! 
100k?!  Do you work or are just retired and independently wealthy.

I'm going on 64 and will have to work until I'm 90 or later but by then I'll cut back to only 60 hours a week.  I've only managed to do about 23,000 miles in 12 months, with only one trip over a 1,000 and most miles 200~300 a ride.

Rubber covered pegs, hiway pegs on the case guards, custom Sargent WSP+, lower more swept and dropped bars, throttle lock, OEM heated grips, bikini-stock copy double bubble & a Givi tour with MRW spoiler screens depending on weather, reflective wheel rim tape, dual Fiamm 115 db horns (1 point frontward), radar detector, GPS and smart phone mounts, flashed ECU, LED amber side running lights, twin LED driving lights, LED brake light "bulbs", LED auxiliary brake lights and another set of the front OEM rear turn signals/running lights installed in back and with all 4 lit with LED bulbs.  Comfort is no more important to me than safety...

• Premium Member
The FJ-09 certainly has a few shortcomings. The engine is crazy good so to me it's worth making this bike a little more comfortable.
The stock windscreen is useless. For me it created a lot of mayhem. I tried one from Calsci. I think it was the medium. It was great. Not ready for that look though. If I'm going on a long trip I'll get one. I bought the Calsci TS. Looks and performs better than stock.
Installed OEM heated grips. First bike I've had with heated grips. Nice.
Installed KTM Handguards. They actually work compared to stock.
The seat. For me, it's rough after a couple of hours. Don't really like the look of aftermarket seats. Same as the screen. If I go on a long trip I'll probably spring for one. Calsci has a kit with memory foam that you install on your seat. Don't know about cutting a section out of my seat. Anybody do this? Thoughts?

• Supporting Member
The seat. For me, it's rough after a couple of hours. Don't really like the look of aftermarket seats. Same as the screen. If I go on a long trip I'll probably spring for one. Calsci has a kit with memory foam that you install on your seat. Don't know about cutting a section out of my seat. Anybody do this? Thoughts?

In my opinion there is nothing like getting a custom seat fitted just for you.  Built specifically to your dimensions and seating position, they literally fit like a glove!   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I don't disagree. Just don't like the looks of them. Maybe they look better in person.
Same as the windshield. The taller ones work better, but not into that look. I was amazed how quiet it was with a taller screen. Calsci said they would make any size I wanted. Maybe something between the medium and the shorty would work.
I haven't been on any several hundred mile trips on it yet. I use it to commute and try to get some riding in on the weekend. I'm sure some longer rides this spring will sway me to make a move on the seat. I haven't ridden in 30 years so I've attributed the seat problem to my butt not being in riding shape!