My journey for a Comfortable ride on my FJ09

I'm retired, 75yrs old last week, ride almost every day.
Child!   79 coming up...
Hot Damn.  I'm only 64.  Hope I'm riding everyday (weather allows here ... we don't all live in the Rider's Paradise knows as Australia :( :-/ ) when I turn 79. 

Child!   79 coming up...
Hot Damn.  I'm only 64.  Hope I'm riding everyday (weather allows here ... we don't all live in the Rider's Paradise knows as Australia sad.pngundecided.png ) when I turn 79. 

Much as I love my country, vijay (and others) it's not quite the rider's paradise!   Olddawg says he rides almost every day, lucky man - I haven't ridden for a few weeks now due (mainly) to the seasonal very hot and very humid weather, typical of this time o' year.   Floridians call them 90/ 90 days, I bleeve - 90F and 90% humidity!   Here it's often 90+/ 90+ - this coming weekend we are promised some thunderstorms with 36 deg C (= 97 F). 
But then I'm getting old - younger and tougher guys and gals would probably revel in it.   But the trade-off (for this part of the country) is balmy dry days and nights with moderate temps throughout Autumn, Winter (ha! wink.png ), and Spring - these are indeed paradise days!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/11/2018 at 1:03 AM, fr8dog said:

The FJ-09 certainly has a few shortcomings. The engine is crazy good so to me it's worth making this bike a little more comfortable.
The stock windscreen is useless. For me it created a lot of mayhem. I tried one from Calsci. I think it was the medium. It was great. Not ready for that look though. If I'm going on a long trip I'll get one. I bought the Calsci TS. Looks and performs better than stock.
Installed OEM heated grips. First bike I've had with heated grips. Nice.
Installed KTM Handguards. They actually work compared to stock.
The seat. For me, it's rough after a couple of hours. Don't really like the look of aftermarket seats. Same as the screen. If I go on a long trip I'll probably spring for one. Calsci has a kit with memory foam that you install on your seat. Don't know about cutting a section out of my seat. Anybody do this? Thoughts?

Dunno if you're still considering modding your seat, but....I installed a memory foam/gel insert in my 2019 FJR seat.  Huge improvement.  Bought the pad from onlygel.com.  I chose the "Conformax" model, which is half gel/half memory foam.  Install took ~ 4 hours total, as I'd never done one before.  Not difficult, though.

My Tracer GT seat is maybe the least comfortable seat I've ever had.  It will be getting the same treatment soon, already have the Conformax pad here for it.   Along with installing the pad, I'm also going to try to slice away some of the seat's forward slope.  Will post results for anyone interested.  Cheers. 

KSERIES_grande.jpg?v=1553836357

ULTRAGEL® raw gel inserts and gel pads. CONFORMAX™ motorcycle gel...

• Thumbsup 1