Converting the rear turn signals into running lights (parkin

2linby

Has anyone replaced the rear turn signals or the inners with a 1157 style dual filament bulb to have both turn signals and rear running lights?

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member
Within a year after buying my 15, I did obtain very inexpensively a pair of OEM front TS-RL for installation at the rear. The prior owner had cut off the plugs, so after I soldered the required length, staggering and shrink tubing the connections using bullet connectors, I Posi-Tapped the necessary length of wire with a bullet socket into each TS + & -, and added an ignition on lead for each RL wire. The most difficult task was getting the added wires to fit within or adjacent to the wire molds in the under seat tray.

I then replaced all 4 incandescent bulbs with LED TS-RL diode "bulbs" and replaced the OEM TS flasher relay with a dirt cheap load relay to maintain the DOT prescribed flasher rate that bought on eBay.

Total cost for all components including LED bulbs was less than $50. This mod with the LED bulbs REALLY enhances rear conspicuity, which needed serious help with IMO the rather weak OEM tail- brake light. Technically amber TS are not in compliance with most vehicle codes but I don't give a hoot and have never been stopped for it by law enforcement.

I also added a thin red LED "Night Rider" flashing pattern stick on ribbon to the edge of the Shad luggage-top box rack that is connected to the brake light circuit. A second cheap auxiliary LED brake light array failed and I have not replaced it.

I also added very bright amber LED running lights to the "side covers" and red super brilliant reflective wheel rim tape (the red to match my red FJ09 of course), both of which tremendously increase lateral visibility.

I very much want to add a headlight modulator too but neither I or the engineer at Kisan can find the connector set for the LED headlight controller in order to make the installation plug and play. If anyone knows the connector manufacturer....

I just finished up installing my hyper lites off of my old bike for now. They are both running lights and brake lights so this should give me a little more visibility for vehicle approaching from the rear.  At least I hope so!  

img][img]img][img]

IMG_4231.jpg

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• 1 month later...
I just finished up installing my hyper lites off of my old bike for now. They are both running lights and brake lights so this should give me a little more visibility for vehicle approaching from the rear.  At least I hope so!   
img][img]img][img]

IMG_4231.jpg

What color wire is brake and what color is running?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Good NEWS... I just talked with KISAN rep. and he said they are in FINAL testing and just
waiting for 'special' YAM. plug to get the LED - Headlight MODULATOR for our FJ-09's up and running.

He said they should be available on their web-site by end of April or 1st of MAY. 

I am a FIRM believer in the benefits of the 'blinking' headlight.  Dave in Eastern Oregon

img][img]img][img]

IMG_4231.jpg

What color wire is brake and what color is running?

Running=L/rd or just L (blue) depending on which side of the connector you are looking at.

Brake= yellow

-Skip.

img][img]img][img]

IMG_4231.jpg

FWIW and YMMV and all that: it's my carefully-considered opinion - but not necessarily an infallible one - that these extra brake warning lights at the rear are best placed adjacent to the bike's OE rear lamp cluster.   IMHO this gives following drivers only one source of warning lights to look at, and maximises their value.   In my own set-up below I also wired-in a relay and modulator (total cost <$20) so that the LEDs flashed/ pulsed in a hi-viz fashion when braking. 

P1030789.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Good NEWS... I just talked with KISAN rep. and he said they are in FINAL testing and just waiting for 'special' YAM. plug to get the LED - Headlight MODULATOR for our FJ-09's up and running.

He said they should be available on their web-site by end of April or 1st of MAY. 

I am a FIRM believer in the benefits of the 'blinking' headlight.  Dave in Eastern Oregon

Ive been working with the Kisan chief engineer for several months trying to find the plug for the headlight controller and contacted the manufacturer but they never responded maybe they found the plug so it will be Plug and Play I'll have to follow up with him and see what the status is hopefully they will have it available by May. I'm also a firm believer in headlight modulator and run them on all my bikes so let's hope he has found a source.

• 4 months later...
I got a kit from Kisan for the headlight modulator. Basically splicing the wires. It's easy / fast to do, although I'm not yet happy with the waterproofing of that solution. And I installed the headlight modulator on the high beam (I asked them to pick what they thought would work best). If I had to do it again, I would get one of their modules that deals with 2 lights. low beam master, high beam slave. I don't like using high beams even modulating as they annoy others, but I should say they are super efficient. i.e. before intersections... they really help get some attention (not fool-proof, as the rider we still have to be able to avoid that car that will run the light or turn left in front of you).
I need to edit the photos/videos I made of the setup and put them on this forum.

Archived