thinking of trading for a Suzuki GSX-S1000

Guest kernowjim

Guest kernowjim
I like mt MT09 Tracer/FJ-09 but just can't get past the engine vibration.  I have a 2017 model with a mere 1100 miles on the clock.  A few people have suggested that the bike will smooth out with more miles but I'm not convinced - I think the vibration is what Yamaha call 'character'.

I'm thinking of getting a new Suzuki GSX-S1000, 4 cylinder of course so it's smoother than the triple albeit a bit buzzy at the top end.  

What do you think I should do?

As gsx-s 1000 owner ( also) , bike it´s pretty ok but like the 09 need a reflash to delete all this euro shit restriction.
Also the rear shock it´s shit plus primitive electronic it´s not to compare with yamaha one
May a reflash on your tracer and foot pegs with rubber are not so expensive and you will sort out 90% of problems.

get rid of the stock front chain sprocket... that thing is easily overlooked... I swapped mine out for a smaller size... that rubber damping thing on the stock sprocket does not help...

as for vibrations, this motor is just as smooth as a I4, but I hate the sound of I4...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I find the FJ to be very smooth. Maybe I'm desensitized from riding SuperMoto's (thumpers). The vibrations will be worse if something is loose. Check your motor mounts are tight. Have you done the handle bar recall? You can also get softer grips / bar risers. Is the windshield stock?

Also, make sure you're not gripping the handlebars too tight. Relax your hands.

Hope that helps!

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
I don't find the engine vibration to be much at all. I like the torque and power of the bike, and enjoy riding it. I haven't done any multi-day trips though, so maybe that would change my mind. I do ride 8-12 hours at times during the summer, and don't find it uncomfortable at all. (once I added the Corbin seat anyway)

I like mt MT09 Tracer/FJ-09 but just can't get past the engine vibration.  I have a 2017 model with a mere 1100 miles on the clock.  A few people have suggested that the bike will smooth out with more miles but I'm not convinced - I think the vibration is what Yamaha call 'character'. 
I'm thinking of getting a new Suzuki GSX-S1000, 4 cylinder of course so it's smoother than the triple albeit a bit buzzy at the top end.  

What do you think I should do?
No diss - but I'm frankly gobsmacked at your reference to engine vibration - tho' one owner and one bike can be different to another of course.   I have owned and ridden extensively three MT-09 Tracers (just reluctantly sold the last), and realise that doesn't make me an expert, but rather - well-experienced.  Over the years I've also had a number of other machines of one, two, three, and four cylinder varieties.   IMHO, the Tracer has been as smooth and vibe-free as any, and more so than most.    
As a matter of routine on all my new bikes I quickly install Grip Puppies - the real ones, not those lookalikes that are so thin that you can read a newspaper through them if held up to the light.   But that's purely for hand comfort, the added 'bar diameter being helpful in that regard.   On my last two Tracers I also fitted the cheap-as-chips rubber-topped rider foot-pegs - about AUD$10 or so IIRC.   That was more to give me a bit more foot room than for anything else, for I had to concentrate very, VERY hard indeed to detect any vibes from 'bars or pegs.   Suggest you try the other ideas here before giving up what IMHO is an outstanding - and outstandingly smooth - motorcycle.   Is wheel balance OK?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

One more thing that helped me with the vibration was the chain adjustment. With factory setting it was just too tight and the vibration through the handle bars was so bad that after only a few minutes of riding my hands would go numb. you never know unless you try it and it might help you.

+1 on Natnaz comment regarding chain tension.  I had a bit of vibration when I picked up my 2015 leftover about 6 months ago.  Once I loosened the chain to an acceptable tension ... the vibration pretty much ended.

• Premium Member
+1 on being surprised to hear you say that vibration is an issue. I find my '15 really smooth compared to other bikes I've owned (and test-ridden), and that's on stock pegs and grips, although my ECU has been flashed.

Makes me wonder whether you got a lemon? Or perhaps some of the adjustments being suggested might help get your filly smoothed out?

I hope you find a fix, though, as a smooth-running FJ is a beautiful thing to experience.

Guest kernowjim
Not sure if I'm being over fussy with the vibration - I came from a very heavy Triumph Explorer which was very smooth (but not much fun).  I've tried pretty much everything to smooth it out and it does seem better.  I will keep the bike for another year, get some more miles on it and see how I feel next year.  Thanks everyone.

Well lets think about this. If its bugging you, and all of us are *surprised* to hear that, I'd be willing to bet there's something causing you more vibration on your bike. So why don't you tell us about your bike, list of mods things like that, and we'll see if we can't help you pinpoint the source of the vibration?

'15 FJ09

Guest kernowjim
it's stock apart from rubber footpegs, sport screen and grip puppies (I like the bigger grip feel)

Chain tension is just right, I've re torqued the engine mounts and it's exactly the same.  The dealer says everything is just as it should be and I test rode a different FJ and it was very similar to mine.  I'm starting to think that it is just the bike's character.  I tried an MT-10 and that was also quite coarse under acceleration.

Archived