Driving "Over" a flat aluminum road sign

• Premium Member
Hi all [wave].  FNG here; hope it's ok to ask a general riding question. 

While driving on a 65 limit road (Dulles Greenway VA) there was one of these large diamond "road construction" sign laying in the middle of my lane (was windy so must have blown off these springy tripods). Luckily it was facing up so I was able to spot the orange color and there was no traffic so swayed to avoid it.
But it got me thinking; what if I had to drive right over it. Is that a 100% slip? Will it be a different outcome if driving a straight line or on a curve (this one was situated in a slight left curve)? I think if I had to go over from one of it's corners to the other, both wheels will fit on the sign.

cheers

Straight up and down, you're fine. Centripetal acceleration is on your side, just don't panic. Might slap around a little bit if suspension has to work at all.

Around a corner... That's a whole different bucket of worms. That could be quite bad.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
No problem, as long as you are riding straight, and not leaning over to one side or the other.

Best to do what you did, and drive around it though

Straight up and down, you're fine. Centripetal acceleration is on your side, just don't panic. Might slap around a little bit if suspension has to work at all.  
Around a corner... That's a whole different bucket of worms. That could be quite bad.
100% - and same applies if you find yourself on (f'rinstance) a cast-iron manhole cover, especially if wet.   Trick is to keep everything smooth and calm - no panicky acceleration, deceleration, braking, or whatever.   If you've time to react, pull in the clutch lever.   But as said - if leaning over, all bets are off, especially if it's wet!   Good luck - but it may well only be a once-in-a-lifetime thing. ::)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Rode once through a big truck load dump of cow manure . Covered the entire road.First instinct was to brake but I didn't do that and rode through it. No way around it as I came over a hill and there it was. Needless to say I had to wash my bike when I got home. Then I went and bought a lottery ticket. Michelin road pilot 4 tires kept me stable. Great tires for getting through cow shit! ;-)
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived