• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

CCW and motorcycles

Odd question, so please forgive me.

I own a 2017 FJ-09 in Georgia, and I have not been able to get a "consistent" answer from Law Enforcement on the legality of storing a CCW on your bike if you need to enter an establishment like a Hospital, Courthouse, School, etc. Storing a weapon in your car is a simple matter of locking it in the glovebox or console, then locking your vehicle with the windows up. Not that doing so completely prevents someone from breaking into the vehicle and stealing the weapon, but from a "cover your butt" standpoint, you did what was needed to secure it.

What are the "cover your butt" procedures when riding a bike and storing a CCW? I have soft saddle bags, as well as a tank bag... but that reeeeaally seems like a recipe for a lawsuit and legal issues if something were to happen to take the weapon while unattended. Buying and carrying a small gun lock box seems proper, but is that enough to satisfy the legal vultures?

Nothing at all odd about that question, in fact it's a darn good one!

I carry while riding, but my riding is recreational and I don't take the bike if I know I'm going to be in a situation where I'll need to disarm.

My usual riding-weather carry is small enough that I'm fairly sure it'll fit in the tool tray under the seat, but now that you bring it up I need to check that.

I'd suspect locking hard saddlebags or a trunk would be okay. Not great, but okay. I don't even leave my tank bag on the bike when I pop into the store for a loaf of milk and a quart of bread. Too many miscreants about.

Looking forward to input on this.

• Premium Member
I also only ride for fun, so it's not as much an issue for me. I only see three options:

1) Locked gun case stored in locked baggage (top or side bags) Best to take the cable from the gun case and route it around the frame of the bike if possible.
2) Store under the seat, if the gun is small enough
3) Leave the gun at home, or store in a friends car (if you are going to be with someone you know) - still need to lock the gun in a gun case and secure it to the car

I carry mine regularly, but I don't use my bike for daily commuting, so it's a little easier for me to manage. I put my small gun case under the carpet in the back area of my SUV, and cable it to the tie-downs provided in the rear area of the SUV.

I would leave it at home because I know I am going to the courthouse, Hospital, etc... but if I need to go "outta the blue" I would at least lock/drop it off at a friends house nearby or lock it up in a family members car at the courthouse, Hospital...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
These work great and will also fit your phone, wallet and any other junk you don't want rattling around in your pockets while riding. Kinda like a man purse I guess but with the size of phones now and all the gadgets I have to deal with these days this type of pack has been a big help. I don't wear it while riding I just toss it into the top case and I don't think people even notice when I'm using it.

BLB

@britelitebob you would wear a fanny pack!! Haha.. I'm just teasing.

Let me know when you head north again, would love to meet up and hit the twisties again.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
@britelitebob you would wear a fanny pack!! Haha.. I'm just teasing. 
Let me know when you head north again, would love to meet up and hit the twisties again.
Just pick a date when you can get some time off duhs10 and I'll be there, you know I always plan my schedule around my riding trips.
BLB

Guys... with all due respect... please stay on topic.

------------------------------
I did NOT make this post to get into the political side of the discussion with regards to me living in America and exercising my 2nd Amendment rights. If you wish to discuss or argue that with me, by all means do so in private chat or ask me in private chat for my Facebook address, and then you can get upset with me there. But PLEASE, stay on topic in this particular thread. I asked a question that I am VERY interested to find a solution. But to be blunt, just in case you were unsure, any expressed opinion (in THIS thread) that comes across in such a way as to suggest or complain that I choose to carry a weapon (where it is legal for me to do so), is not staying on topic. Please save your rants for a different forum or social media site than this thread :)

Now, back on topic.

I have a CCW permit, so I carry a weapon with me when I am out. I ride my 2017 FJ-09 a lot, whether that is rain, shine, hot or cold. Certainly I am not on it every day, but if the weather permitted it, I would be riding 365 days a year. With that said, if I know for a fact that I have to go to a Hospital, Courthouse, School, etc... then I will stop by my home to secure my weapon. I would MUCH rather be able to secure my weapon ON my bike, because there are those times when we do not know where it is that we will end up when we ride. As an example, you may be out on a ride and you or someone else may NEED to go to the Hospital for some injury. In a case such as that, I would like to be able to properly, securely, and safely store my weapon on my bike, rather than having to call a friend to come up with his vehicle for me to use as a temporary lock box.

Any ON TOPIC suggestions or solutions are welcomed, and there have already been some good ones made. Currently I am leaning towards buying a small lock box to keep in one of my saddle bags, but my weapon is a little tight to fit under the rear seat. I just don't want to have to go and make major modifications to my current setup or purchase new "hard bags", when the soft bags I have work really well for my everyday use.

• Premium Member
Guys... with all due respect... please stay on topic. 
I did NOT make this post to get into the political side of the discussion with regards to me living in America and exercising my 2nd Amendment rights. If you wish to discuss or argue that with me, by all means do so in private chat or ask me in private chat for my Facebook address, and then you can get upset with me there. But PLEASE, stay on topic in this particular thread. I asked a question that I am VERY interested to find a solution. But to be blunt, just in case you were unsure, any expressed opinion (in THIS thread) that comes across in such a way as to suggest or complain that I choose to carry a weapon (where it is legal for me to do so), is not staying on topic. Please save your rants for a different forum or social media site than this thread smiley.png

Now, back on topic.

I have a CCW permit, so I carry a weapon with me when I am out. I ride my 2017 FJ-09 a lot, whether that is rain, shine, hot or cold. Certainly I am not on it every day, but if the weather permitted it, I would be riding 365 days a year. With that said, if I know for a fact that I have to go to a Hospital, Courthouse, School, etc... then I will stop by my home to secure my weapon. I would MUCH rather be able to secure my weapon ON my bike, because there are those times when we do not know where it is that we will end up when we ride. As an example, you may be out on a ride and you or someone else may NEED to go to the Hospital for some injury. In a case such as that, I would like to be able to properly, securely, and safely store my weapon on my bike, rather than having to call a friend to come up with his vehicle for me to use as a temporary lock box.

Any ON TOPIC suggestions or solutions are welcomed, and there have already been some good ones made. Currently I am leaning towards buying a small lock box to keep in one of my saddle bags, but my weapon is a little tight to fit under the rear seat. I just don't want to have to go and make major modifications to my current setup or purchase new "hard bags", when the soft bags I have work really well for my everyday use.

So far aside from a bit of noise from the peanut gallery I don't see anything that I would call political.
BLB

I love the USA and it's people but the obsession with guns and the fear that you're about to be killed by some 'crazy' makes me glad to be in England...
Purely as a matter of interest, what does CCW stand for?   Carry Concealed Weapon suggests itself, but seems too obvious...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I love the USA and it's people but the obsession with guns and the fear that you're about to be killed by some 'crazy' makes me glad to be in England...
Purely as a matter of interest, what does CCW stand for?   Carry Concealed Weapon suggests itself, but seems too obvious...
CCW = Carry(ing) a Concealed Weapon CCP = Concealed Carry Permit

Good question.

CCW = Carry(ing) a Concealed Weapon CCP = Concealed Carry Permit

Good question.

CPL in Michigan...officially known as RI-13 card... weird...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
Ok. On topic.

If you decide to carry a concealed weapon. It should be on your person where you can get to it if or when you need it. As convenient as fanny packs designed to carry a weapon may be I personally found them cumbersome to draw from. YMMV.

In the event that you end up following an injured friend to the hospital. You may very likely not be able to enter. As I pointed out in an earlier post. If you can safely and inconspicuously transfer it to a hard case. Preferably hard mounted (read permanently) to the bike it should be safe enough in the short term.

A less desirable course of action would be to make contact with the detail LEO at the hospital (I live in South Florida, almost all hospitals here have a detail LEO) and explain your situation and ask him to take possession of your weapon so that you may enter. This course of action is not without it's possible issues. Not every LEO is sympathetic to the 2nd amendment.

As a 30+ year FF/PM here in SOFLA. I would like to point out that if you were at the scene you should have given the attending PM's all pertinent information on your injured friend. So your being at the hospital is not a necessity. Go home, secure your weapon. Then go provide all the support that you can.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Ok. On topic. 
If you decide to carry a concealed weapon. It should be on your person where you can get to it if or when you need it. As convenient as fanny packs designed to carry a weapon may be I personally found them cumbersome to draw from. YMMV.

In the event that you end up following an injured friend to the hospital. You may very likely not be able to enter. As I pointed out in an earlier post. If you can safely and inconspicuously transfer it to a hard case. Preferably hard mounted (read permanently) to the bike it should be safe enough in the short term.

A less desirable course of action would be to make contact with the detail LEO at the hospital (I live in South Florida, almost all hospitals here have a detail LEO) and explain your situation and ask him to take possession of your weapon so that you may enter. This course of action is not without it's possible issues. Not every LEO is sympathetic to the 2nd amendment.

As a 30+ year FF/PM here in SOFLA. I would like to point out that if you were at the scene you should have given the attending PM's all pertinent information on your injured friend. So your being at the hospital is not a necessity. Go home, secure your weapon. Then go provide all the support that you can.

Solid advice. I will definitely look into making small adjustments to my setup. As far as off the body carry... I am not a fan of that either. Not only the draw issues, there are potential theft issues as well as just accidentally leaving it in a bathroom or on a table. 

Archived