Checking in from the south

clem

I've been snooping around here for awhile and finally signed up. I bought my 2015 FJ last June after I did about 800 miles through Arkansas on my RD350. Had numb arms for a week after and decided that I needed something as hooligan as the RD but without all of the smoke and a little more comfort. All jokes aside, I needed a bike to do long rides and the FJ fit the bill. I am currently debating side cases for another trip up to Arkansas in May and need to pull the trigger soon. I like the Shad cases for price and capacity but also dig the OEM cases for simplicity and the slim factor. I'm not looking to fit a full helmet in there, I can get a top case for that.
I've been holding off on spending money on the FJ while I try to finish up my RD400 Daytona Special but I may put the brakes on that since May is coming quickly!
I look forward to sharing the FJ experience with the community.
Cory

• Premium Member
Welcome aboard, and hope you find your bike soon. I've been riding my 2015 for a while now, and I still can't wipe the grin off my face when I get off the bike!

clem: you are going to love this bike.  Seeing that you love those 2C Yamaha's, you will appreciate the newer Yamaha for every day riding and especially longer distance touring.  I am coming off my FJR and being one of the oldest on this site, appreciate the ergonomic of the FJ, it is even better than the FJR.  You will not be left wanting with the power issue either.  I'm making an assumption that you are older and an experinced rider?  Welcome to the Forum.
Ken

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Welcome to the forum!

I am surprised that @redfjniner did't take the opportunity to advise you to look for some 2nd hand FJR cases. They mount the same as the FJ "city" cases but have almost the same capacity as the SHAD cases. I went with a set of SHADs which I think fit the bike well and have no regrets. However if I were to do it again I would probably try a little harder to find some used FJR cases simply for the mounting system.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Welcome to the forum! 
I am surprised that @redfjniner did't take the opportunity to advise you to look for some 2nd hand FJR cases. They mount the same as the FJ "city" cases but have almost the same capacity as the SHAD cases. I went with a set of SHADs which I think fit the bike well and have no regrets. However if I were to do it again I would probably try a little harder to find some used FJR cases simply for the mounting system.
I would have, except I checked FJR Forum and Ebay last night and there were none.  They go fast and the prices are rising, as people find out there is a demand from the FJ community.  In the last year, my neighbor and I have bought 3 sets: $490, $295 and $250, AIR.  All were a bargain.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Thanks guys! I did look at the FJR cases but as mentioned, they are getting few and far between. There is a set on ebay now from across the pond but they want close to $600 and they have a ton of road rash on them.
Redfjniner, I'm 45 so I'll let you decide if I'm old or not although some mornings are more obvious to the answer than others.

Koth, We are going to base out of Ponca at my good friend's uncles place. He has a few acres that we were able to set up camp on.

Alright Nico, here is the DS7 with RD350 topend and the almost completed Daytona Special 20171017_075420.jpg

20180225_165613_1.jpg

Wow! I can hear the  symphony from that chambered exhaust all the way out here! Thanks for sharing, they both look gorgeous. :-)

Archived