Looking to purchase tomorrow!

I have been debating getting back on a bike for 6 years, and I have a fellow coming to show me a nice 2015 tomorrow outfitted with Vstream windscreen, outback panniers and only 1300 miles on the clock. Still under factory warranty as it was a new purchase for him about 6 months ago.....hes a career hobbyist looking to buy a car now.

Looking forward to hopefully joining the club...anything I should check over in this in particular/ price not to go above? He's asking 7250... Maryland.

Thanks, tons of questions about gear for commuting as I sold everything with the last bike and don't know where to start with all the new stuff.

• Supporting Member
With only 1300 miles on the bike, there shouldn’t be too much to check for. After you buy the bike, have your local Yamaha dealer run the VIN to check for recalls like @piotrek mentioned.
All of the factory short comings have been discovered and addressed and they are relatively minor, seat and windscreen for starters. Depending on how you ride, you may get by with the stock suspension. The one thing you won’t have any issues with is the motor, Yamaha hit a home run on this one.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Maryland...on a side note I dont know how I missed all the deficiencies in the suspension that are mentioned in this forum during my research. I weigh about 250 fully laden...sounds like I'm in for a disappointment. Was considering a 2016 Tiger 800XR as well, but it's asking about 1500 more. Was just hoping for 7k to get on and ride I guess. How much of a deal breaker is this do you think?

@com3 is slightly lighter than you, but frequently rides two up. He made his stock suspension work for a while. Although he recently swapped out and wishes he would have done that first thing.

'15 FJ09

about 1000 to do it right. You can get a usable upgrade for 400 (reworked ZX shock with new spring, fork springs, do your own work) to tide you over until that fat tax refund check comes in. You're 40 miles from the best suspension guy in the neighborhood. *grin*

• Supporting Member
Maryland...on a side note I dont know how I missed all the deficiencies in the suspension that are mentioned in this forum during my research. I weigh about 250 fully laden...sounds like I'm in for a disappointment.   How much of a deal breaker is this do you think?
I wouldn't say its a deal breaker at all, ANYTHING can be altered or upgraded.
As with anything, opinions are subjective.  Ride the bike and judge for yourself, - for general commuting, you might not need anything more than proper spring rate (about $200). 
For me, I ride mountain twisties and some canyon carving and upgraded suspension makes a world of difference. 
Every bike is going to have some shortcoming (Yamaha's was the suspension) that doesn't make the bike a disappointment by any means.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

And to give another perspective: I’ve had mine for two years now and am still on stock suspension. I ride as an instructor and for pleasure, hardly ever for commuting and whilst I acknowledge that it’s not perfect, it’s still a great package overall.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Got the chance to sit on an FJ and Tiger back to back today. Really felt more comfortable on FJ saddle. For the price difference, I can find a way to improve suspension if needed....no Twisties on my commute...

Have had no luck doing test ride around here, and the owner in DC is rightly skeptical of allowing it....a friend of mine had a bike stolen recently getting jumped at a Craigslist transaction, so I get it. That may change once we get there.

Otherwise, on to commuting geat...new helmet/gloves/jacket/pants and boots for me...what's your favorite brands?

The helmet thread here left me thinking I need to try rf1200 and scheuberth c3...I'm lost on the armored clothing..one dealer here only carries Klime....otherwise I'm lost....so much new stuff happened in the past 6 years.

If you're just commuting, you won't really care about suspension. It's fine, run it. If you want the bike to be more precise and compliant while hitting the twisties and touring all the back roads, you'll find the stock suspension inadequate, at best.

I'm 260 or so, fully geared up. 90% of my riding is two up these days. I don't commute at all. Just mountain roads.

Archived