Brand New FJ - Trouble Shifting into 3rd Gear

Hi guys,

I picked up a brand new 2017 FJ-09 last weekend and I've put about 200 miles on her so far.  My experience so far has been outstanding with one concern.

When I'm in 2nd gear and I quickly accelerate through about 7-8k RPM, I literally cannot shift into third. It will not budge until the RPMs come back down. It feels like when you're in 6th gear and you just can't upshift anymore...

I did my first oil change already with only 40 miles to try to clear out any of the larger shavings that come out during engine break in. I used Maxima Premium4 (mineral) 10w-40 oil in the change. I can't say that I noticed the problem before the oil change but then again, I wasn't riding anywhere near the 8k RPM range when the engine was that new. It was after the oil change that I began to introduce the engine to some more strenuous (but brief) periods of riding.

I found this thread over on the FZ09 forums and the rider eventually figured out it was his riding boots that were causing the problem.  I HIGHLY doubt that is the issue - I have 2 other motorcycles and I've never had any shifting problems on any of them with my boots. 

What do you guys think? Could the transmission simply be too new that it's not playing well under this amount of load? Should I have the local Yamaha dealership take a look at it? I don't want them to come back and say "well sir, the manual states not to exceed 5k RPMs for the first 1k miles..." because that's just total BS.

I would always try the simple things first. Try adjusting the linkage on the gear shift until you’re sure you have the full range of movement.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
Should I have the local Yamaha dealership take a look at it? I don't want them to come back and say "well sir, the manual states not to exceed 5k RPMs for the first 1k miles..." because that's just total BS.
I agree, thats BS.  I rode mine like I normally do, (within reason) from day one and never experienced any issues, shifting or otherwise.   
One quick and easy thing to try is lowering your shift lever angle a few mm.  See if that results in more positive shifts.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks for your replies - I will try that though I'm not sure it will help. The shift pedal doesn't even move when it happens, so it's not as if I'm not kicking it up far enough. It just won't budge. It's like the pedal is frozen or completely blocked from moving upwards.

Years ago, I didn't install the shifter properly and upon upshift into a higher hear, the shifter would contact a bolt. It gave me the feel of being entirely unable to lift the lever up much like you describe.

Also, make sure the shift linkage is assembled properly... @com3 had his shift linkage installed improperly straight from the dealership.

'15 FJ09

Maby your bike only has two gears  grin.png
Haha! Quite possibly... 

Years ago, I didn't install the shifter properly and upon upshift into a higher hear, the shifter would contact a bolt. It gave me the feel of being entirely unable to lift the lever up much like you describe.  
Also, make sure the shift linkage is assembled properly... @com3 had his shift linkage installed improperly straight from the dealership.
Will do - thanks koth. I would admit I'm under the impression of "it's brand new - it should be correct" but I realize mistakes are made.

Also.. make sure you are letting the shifter drop all the way back to its resting position between up shifts. The FJ seems to be very particular about that.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
Also.. make sure you are letting the shifter drop all the way back to its resting position between up shifts. The FJ seems to be very particular about that.
+1 This transmission almost has what feels like a "reset" position (for lack of better terminology) after you shift.  Drop pressure from the lever momentarily then lift up again.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
I experienced the same thing with mine, typically when trying to click off a brisk upshift in the 8k - 9k rpm range.

Interestingly, my fix was exactly the opposite of what you would expect: I RAISED the shift angle slightly to correct the issue. I originally lowered it a couple of millimeters, but that only made the problem worse. So, I went the other direction, and... problem solved. My belief is that the shifter was fractionally too low to allow the gearbox to reindex for the next upshift under load, no doubt because my boot was keeping just enough preload pressure on the shifter to keep the gearbox bound up following the previous shift.

Since making that adjustment, it’s been trouble free.

Let us know what you finally determine.

+1 This transmission almost has what feels like a "reset" position (for lack of better terminology) after you shift.  Drop pressure from the lever momentarily then lift up again.

I experienced the same thing with mine, typically when trying to click off a brisk upshift in the 8k - 9k rpm range.  
Interestingly, my fix was exactly the opposite of what you would expect: I RAISED the shift angle slightly to correct the issue. I originally lowered in a couple of millimeters, but that only made the problem worse. So, I went the other direction, and... problem solved. My belief is that the shifter was fractionally too low to allow the gearbox to reindex for the next upshift under load, no doubt because my boot was keeping just enough preload pressure on the shifter to keep the gearbox bound up following the previous shift.

Since making that adjustment, it’s been trouble free.

Let us know what you finally determine.
I think this was the culprit! When I accelerate quickly through the gears, I'm not moving my foot back to where I normally rest it on the foot peg - instead, my foot stays under the shifter to be ready for the next shift. Shifting quickly from 2nd to 3rd just happened to be the most common time I would shift like this, so that's why it appeared to be "only" between 2nd and 3rd. It did also happen from 3rd to 4th over the weekend while I was having some fun. :D

I will end up raising the shift lever to give my toe more room when it's under the shift pedal like you did, texscottyd.  What a picky transmission!

Well guys, thanks for your help - as a new member I'm impressed with the amount of responses I received in such a short time frame.  I'm looking forward to sticking around and contributing where I can!  Also, here is a pic of mine (I've since added the Givi Crash bars):

20180219_171005.jpg

Archived