URGENT - Clutch cable broken

alquimista

Hi. I have an FJ09 2016, this afternoon the clutch cable broke, close to the left hand bar. Tomorrow is official holiday here and will be rare to find a shop opened. Somebody suggested to temporarily adapt a bicicle break cable ... Opinions? Any special adjustments to do, installing the cable?

• Premium Member
Sucks..... although this is a known issue. Best bet would be to find someone in your local area who has a spare to loan. Not sure where you are located, but asking for other forum members in your city, may help you locate one until the shops open after your holiday.

Sucks..... although this is a known issue. Best bet would be to find someone in your local area who has a spare to loan. Not sure where you are located, but asking for other forum members in your city, may help you locate one until the shops open after your holiday.

Is this a known issue on this bike? Mine has 16000 kms... Next month will be a year with the bike. Have had 2 previous to this one, one of them a Yamaha Tenere xt660z, I had it for 4 years and never a cable broken, nor of the breaks, nor of the clutch

• Premium Member
Yep, it is known. The original clutch cables wear right at the point where it comes off of the handle bar. Yamaha has a replacement cable which should prevent this from happening. On the newer models, they now use the new cable, but never did a recall on the existing cable.

I bought the newer cable and keep it under my seat, although when I do my service next month, I'll actually swap the new cable with the original one on my bike. Changing the cable isn't hard, there are a few threads on the forum where they talk about the details. Short version is tape the new cable to the old one, and pull the new cable down as you are pulling the old one out. It does get tight around the radiator, and some folks prefer to loosen a few things to make it easier. Others have found it makes it through with a bit of patience.

Hope this helps......

Thank you David.
Fortunately in my case, the problem happened here in the city, at low speed and close to where I'm staying. I could bring back the bike on first gear. If this happens me few hours before at high speeds on the highway, would had been a more dramatic story. This is dangerous... Wonder why there was no Yamaha recall on this one

We've also wondered why there hasn't been an official recall. Best of luck finding a new cable! The best way to replace is tape the lever side of the cable to the case side of the new cable. Loosen the two top radiator bolts so the radiator can roll forward a bit, then wiggle wiggle pull. It'll work itself through with some cussing and persuasion.

Best of luck!

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
Thank you David. Fortunately in my case, the problem happened here in the city, at low speed and close to where I'm staying. I could bring back the bike on first gear. If this happens me few hours before at high speeds on the highway, would had been a more dramatic story. This is dangerous... Wonder why there was no Yamaha recall on this one
Even just giving fj owners a heads up that some cables are breaking and that they have 
the upgraded version available would have been a benevolent thing to do.
BLB

Question, the defect is of the cable itself ? Or the angle of the metallic tube that drives the cable into the handle bar lever?

I have ordered the cable to Yamaha, yet I need to know if the 2017 tube needs to be purchased as well, with any new bending angle

• Supporting Member
Question, the defect is of the cable itself ? Or the angle of the metallic tube that drives the cable into the handle bar lever? 
I have ordered the cable to Yamaha, yet I need to know if the 2017 tube needs to be purchased as well, with any new bending angle
Its all one piece.  If you get the new revised cable then you will have everything you need. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Its all one piece.  If you get the new revised cable then you will have everything you need.

Local Yamaha quoted me only the cable,not all the system with cable, metal tube, rubber tube. They mentioned that the part number for cable on 2016 is now different as to 2017... Assuming the manufacturing is different. I compared the clutch cable tubes of a Honda xre300 and a tenere xt660z, and fj-09 has a more closed bending angle than those two,by the clutch cable,close to the lever

Archived