URGENT - Clutch cable broken

alquimista

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So on my commute home the other day all of a sudden I got a TON of free play in the clutch cable. It def hasn't snapped on me, and I wasn't able to get all the free play out using the micro adjuster, so I went down to where the cable actuation is. I adjusted the barrel to get rid of all free play, but it seems as though my spring isn't strong enough to get the clutch lever to return to it's starting position. (Hope that was a decent description of what's going on.) Any ideas on how to get the lever to return to it's starting position after adjusting the free play? Is it time to order the replacement part for my 2016?

Thanks for the above videos though, those were still helpful!

So on my commute home the other day all of a sudden I got a TON of free play in the clutch cable. It def hasn't snapped on me, and I wasn't able to get all the free play out using the micro adjuster, so I went down to where the cable actuation is. I adjusted the barrel to get rid of all free play, but it seems as though my spring isn't strong enough to get the clutch lever to return to it's starting position. (Hope that was a decent description of what's going on.) Any ideas on how to get the lever to return to it's starting position after adjusting the free play? Is it time to order the replacement part for my 2016? 
it will break in about 3-4 pulls! Change it ASAP mate!

it will break in about 3-4 pulls! Change it ASAP mate!
Had to call around to a few shops but got the cable ordered, hopefully will be here in a day or two. I'm assuming that the cable has frayed or kinked badly enough that that's why the lever isn't returning after pulling it in now.

you can buy just the metal string (take your old one with you to choose the thicness of it) and you can have it under your seat.
in case it will brake again, you won't have to worry, you will replace it with this and you will change it when you buy a new original.
this is great help , especialy if you are on a trip.
It is very cheap, and you can find it at stores with tools or store with car or motors spare parts.
i wouldn't recommend the bicycle metal strings cause they are thinner but they are good for emergency use (better from nothing)
CABLE_ROC_3.jpg

Actually, i had replace one, years ago when i had a Honda Varadero, and i used it for many months without a problem.
Now i ride a clutchless bike and i don't have to worry about it :)
I believe everyone who rides a bike with clutch, should have one spare under the seat

the emergency cable kit has more parts and adaptors, that is why it cost around 10 usd.
you can find the cables for 2-3 usd but 10 usd are fine too for a full kit.
the good thing is that you only pulling off the old cable (only the metal cable and not the exterior of it).
then all you have to do is to incert the new metal cable, tight it at the end with the specific screw(i am sorry i don't know how to say it) and cut the rest of the cable or just make a loop.
it is very hard to cut it without a fence plier tool.

Archived