required tools

I know that this is a somewhat silly question but since this is my first motorcycle that was built in the new millennium I'll fire away.
Are the torx style bolts used on the FJ a standard tool size? Do they come in metric or imperial? JIS??

I need to buy a tool set for this bike and need direction on what I'm dealing with. Thanks

Cory

I know that this is a somewhat silly question but since this is my first motorcycle that was built in the new millennium I'll fire away. Are the torx style bolts used on the FJ a standard tool size? Do they come in metric or imperial? JIS??

I need to buy a tool set for this bike and need direction on what I'm dealing with. Thanks

Cory
I don't think there are many (if any) "torx" bolts on the FJ.. most bolts are either hex head or allen wrench style and are metric.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
I don’t think I have encountered any Torx bolts. Pretty standard metric fasteners for most maintenance except front and rear axles which are larger than usual.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
No Torx screws on the FJ-09, although if you replace the oil pan screw with the Volkswagen flat/flush version, that does indeed require a torx wrench.

Man, I surely thought that it had a few. Like the rear sub frame bolts? I have been so ecstatic with not having to work on it like my vintage bikes. I bragged to a buddy that I didn't even have tools to work on the new bike! I may have put my foot in my mouth. Lol

• Premium Member
Although you don't need them for regular maintenance, a set of security torx bits are handy to have in the toolbox, and the security bits work on standard torx bolts too. I bought a set of security torx bits for $10-15 a few years ago to remove an airbag from a car steering wheel, and I've used them a few other times since.

Archived