Short time lurker, new time member and long time rider....

Very recently started researching the FJ and was very pleasantly surprised to learn of the upcoming Tracer 900 GT.   Now the long wait begins before all the specs are released, including MSRP, and the dealers can take orders.   

Presently riding a DL650XT which has been good to me, but now ready to move back to Yamaha.   

Rod

• Premium Member
Welcome to the forum, and hopefully it won't be too long before you can pick up a new bike.......

Hardest part is the waiting!

• 2 years later...

Wow, a lot of water under the bridge since my first post almost 2 1/2 years ago.  I was on a DL650XT and anxiously awaiting the yet unreleased ‘19 Tracer 900 GT.  Things just never fell into place and I eventually moved from the XT to a ‘18 Versys 1000 LT.  Later, to a ‘19 Versys 1000 SE LT+ (which I still have).  Then came a little Versys x300 for a “run around” bike.  
But finally, up pops a deal I couldn’t refuse on a “almost” new ‘20 Tracer 900 GT.  It took me about 3 milliseconds to pull the trigger on the deal and I couldn’t be happier with my decision!   For now, the big Versys is still in the stable, but it has a “For Sale”” sign on it.   Great bike, but as I get older, the lighter weight of the Tracer is more what I need and keeps me in more of a comfort zone.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, colorider said:

I eventually moved from the XT to a ‘18 Versys 1000 LT.  Later, to a ‘19 Versys 1000 SE LT+ (which I still have).

Great bike, but as I get older, the lighter weight of the Tracer is more what I need and keeps me in more of a comfort zone.

Besides the obvious weight difference, how do you feel the Versys compares to the Tracer?  I test rode the 2017 1000 twice before buying the FJ-09, maybe an hour total seat time.  Not enough time to make a really well informed decision, but my initial impression was the bike seemed smooth and comfortable, yet still fairly sporty.  The newest 2019 SE seems even more refined?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

9 hours ago, betoney said:

Besides the obvious weight difference, how do you feel the Versys compares to the Tracer?  I test rode the 2017 1000 twice before buying the FJ-09, maybe an hour total seat time.  Not enough time to make a really well informed decision, but my initial impression was the bike seemed smooth and comfortable, yet still fairly sporty.  The newest 2019 SE seems even more refined?

I was really torn in mid ‘18 as I had the opportunity to pick up a ‘19 GT in Oklahoma for a discounted price.   At the last minute, and at the recommendation of a riding friend of mine (who owned a ‘15 V1K) I bought the ‘18 V1K.  Very nice bike, but I was always disappointed in that it did not have some of the creature comforts I was looking forward to on the Tracer GT.  I had it about a year when I came across a good deal on the ‘19 V1K SE.  Almost night and day between the two bikes with the electronic suspension, cruise, much better windscreen, heated grips, quick shifter (up and down), etc.  Once I had the seat rebuilt by Sargent, the bike was near perfect.  BUT, I still had the itch for the Tracer and I really wanted to find a bike with less weight that still provides many of the creature comforts.   
How do they compare?  The Versys is roomier and with the electronic suspension and a decent seat, VERY comfy and handles very well.   It truly is a great sport-touring bike (and I have owned a bunch of them).  The cruise control is not as refined as the Yamaha and the heated grips are also not quite as good.  The quick shifter is both up and down and works very well.  Overall, it’s a great bike.  Why don’t I keep it?  I don’t NEED 3 bikes and I feel the Tracer will be the better option for me.  It’s lighter and easier to move around.  It gives me virtually all of the comforts of the Versys in a lighter package.  I will miss the electronic suspension!  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Welcome! Congrats on the Tracer! I'm new here also. I know all about the "as I get older this bikes getting too heavy."

Mine was a 2006 Honda ST1300 Great bike, just getting too heavy.

Yep, BTDT!  I had an ‘06 ST1300.  Along with 5 different ST1100’s and 3 different FJR1300’s.   They all get heavier and heavier!!!  

Edited by colorider
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1