New Canadian Owner - Smoking deal on my new FJ

Hey guys, new owner from Alberta, Canada here. I picked up the bike from a local dealer, there are leftover new 2016's going for $6600 USD all-in including freight/PDI ($8500 CAD) so I absolutely couldn't pass the deal up. If anyone in Western Canada wants a brand new 2016 FJ there's a few others out there around this price within a hundred dollars.

I live in Alberta and BC, I plan to use the bike to do some long distance touring. It's my first road bike, and I've already got a couple hundred miles on it. I normally ride enduro on my Husaberg FE570, this bike doesn't feel all that different from my MX bikes over the years which is partly why I wanted it.

I rode the bike a few hundred km to get a feel for it and see what it needs. I've got Graves Full Ti exhaust, Puig Touring Windscreen, Evotech Rad Guard, Yamaha Heated Grips, LED Signals and Motodynamics Tail Tidy all ordered. I also ordered some vinyl wrap to change the color and protect the paint on the tank. Once I get them on, the 2WDW tune is going to fix the hitchy throttle.

Overall, the bike is awesome, I like the triple engine, riding position, handling and most of all, price. Main downsides for me is the terrible stock windscreen and wonky throttle map. I had considered S1000XR, Multistradas or KTM's but considering those bikes go for $14k+ USD up here, this bike is less than half the cost. If I can throw some mods on and make it halfway as good as those bikes, I'll be thrilled.

Thanks for reading! 

dBpxOOlh.jpg

48gH7vJh.jpg

Welcome @bombsquad68. You might also want to add mirror extenders into that mix, unless you love the sight of your own elbows.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Thanks @bbb , good call on the extenders. I've got a list of mods in addition to what I've already ordered... I'm not sure will get completed this year but it's a start. Feel free to critique this list. I left off the seat for now as I don't find it that bad compared to what I'm used to (enduro bikes all day) but maybe I'll throw an Airhawk or sheepskin on it just in case.

Adventure Tech Mirror Extenders
Grip Puppies (Bar Vibration)
Ram X-Mount for Phone
Throttle Lock
Clutch and Brake Handles
R1 Clutch Cable and Actuator Arm
SW Motech Crash Bars
Shad SW23 Cases
Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 Li Battery
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Forks and some Rear Shock PKG

Most people have had excellent results from just using the upgraded Yamaha clutch cable (version 2). IIRC @piotrek went back to OEM after trying an alternative.

The SH23 cases are great but small, consider SH36 if you want to tour. SW Motech crash bars are also a good choice. ?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
Welcome. Great price on the new bike.

Definitely recommend the ECU flash and since you have a '16 model, you are able to access the DIAG menu to change the APS settings for smoother throttle. Stock setting is 17, dropping it down to 13 or even 12 dramatically smoothes things out.

Chain tension is too tight in the manual, set it for about 30mm

Windscreen is universally hated, its a ridiculously poor design. Most aftermarket screens offer some improvement, even taking it completely off is an improvement.

The AK-20's are very highly regarded but they are $1100 (USD), before doing anything with the suspension contact @pattonme (forum suspension vendor)for options and pricing. His drop in (exchange) cartridges work incredibly well for a fraction of the cost of the AK-20's, he also sells shocks so maybe a package deal??
I went with Matts fork cartridges and a Traxxion Dynamics Penske 8983.

Enjoy the new ride, the engine on this bike LOVES to rev, dont be afraid to use its full potential.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Will definitely check out Forks by Matt, if I can save some money for similar results and support a vendor, all the better. Thanks guys!

I think offset bar clamps might make the list as well after my ride yesterday, a smidge up and back would be great.

• Supporting Member
I think offset bar clamps might make the list as well after my ride yesterday, a smidge up and back would be great.

Check the classifieds forum, I think someone just had a set for sale. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Congrats on the purchase! Welcome to the forum and just to comment on what you said, I think it'll be one and a half times the bike compared to the competition once you get all the stuff you ordered fitted on the bike, good luck! 

I had considered S1000XR, Multistradas or KTM's but considering those bikes go for $14k+ USD up here, this bike is less than half the cost. If I can throw some mods on and make it halfway as good as those bikes, I'll be thrilled.

Thanks for reading!

Archived