TCS "on the fly" switch

Anybody know of a way to override the requirement to switch the TCS off without coming to a complete stop with the motorcycle? Or, has anyone relocated the left-side dash TCS button to a more user friendly spot on the right handlebar? I like and very much appreciate traction control but, like to wheelie the bike on occasion when conditions permit, and having to stop the bike to switch off the TCS is a PITA. thx

CIDO5677.jpg

• Premium Member
I think the only way to change this behavior would be in the ECU, and then only if it's a parameter that can be changed. It'd be interesting to see how this feature is programmed.

For a remote switch you first have to know if the TCS switch is a simple digital input, or does it send a specific CAN bus command. Then you'd have to rig up a switch that can send the appropriate signal. If it's a DI you'd just need a momentary switch going to the right pin on the ECU. If it's a CAN bus signal you'd need some smart, bored person to program an Arduino or something to send the right command.

I think the only way to change this behavior would be in the ECU, and then only if it's a parameter that can be changed. It'd be interesting to see how this feature is programmed. 
For a remote switch you first have to know if the TCS switch is a simple digital input, or does it send a specific CAN bus command. Then you'd have to rig up a switch that can send the appropriate signal. If it's a DI you'd just need a momentary switch going to the right pin on the ECU. If it's a CAN bus signal you'd need some smart, bored person to program an Arduino or something to send the right command.
thanks for the technical input...sounds like a daunting proposition. If I opened up the instrument, would I find a simple wire to the button that might be run to a remote button on the right handlebar? I'm obviously no electrician. thx!   

• Premium Member
thanks for the technical input...sounds like a daunting proposition. If I opened up the instrument, would I find a simple wire to the button that might be run to a remote button on the right handlebar? I'm obviously no electrician. thx!  
Please don't do something that you may seriously regret................ 
This is a bad idea from both the safety aspect, as well as making your bike worth less for re-sell

Please don't do something that you may seriously regret................ 
This is a bad idea from both the safety aspect, as well as making your bike worth less for re-sell
Point taken, thx.....but I'm notorious for not being able to leave a bike alone, often to the detriment of re-sale. In fact, TCS has saved me on at least one occasion, and I generally want it on.  But being able to circumvent having to come to a complete stop when the conditions allow for a safe wheelie would be actually safer for me --- as opposed to leaving the TCS off and waiting for a (safe) opportunity. I'm not great at wheelies but, the occasional well executed balance point wheelie is really satisfying....and I get a kick out of watching buddies do a nice (and safe) one. And.....the FJ seems to do it really well :) 

TCS and ABS use same sensors to detect wheel spin... the stopping part to turn off the TCS part I believe is to "synchronize" the signals... IIRC this is not in the parameters of the ECU...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
TCS and ABS use same sensors to detect wheel spin... the stopping part to turn off the TCS part I believe is to "synchronize" the signals... IIRC this is not in the parameters of the ECU...
That's what I suspected. In this case I'd put it in the "Too hard and/or impossible" category.

I just turn it off before I take off, I can't even accelerate hard in the lower gears without it interfering, as you've said it gets in the way of wheelies (not that I'm much good at those) and worst of all I've had it come on in fast tight corners which is unsettling.

It's a pretty basic TCS and not really adding much value unless you're riding in particularly greasy conditions but there's B mode for that if you like, given your dirt bike history I don't think there's much this bike will do that you can't ride around.

The ECU flash people can default TCS to off on start up but I'm not sure that they can make it switchable on the move, they can also have it default to A mode which would save another job before take off.

I just turn it off before I take off, I can't even accelerate hard in the lower gears without it interfering, as you've said it gets in the way of wheelies (not that I'm much good at those) and worst of all I've had it come on in fast tight corners which is unsettling. 
It's a pretty basic TCS and not really adding much value unless you're riding in particularly greasy conditions but there's B mode for that if you like, given your dirt bike history I don't think there's much this bike will do that you can't ride around.

The ECU flash people can default TCS to off on start up but I'm not sure that they can make it switchable on the move, they can also have it default to A mode which would save another job before take off.
It may not be a real advanced TCS but it does work in the real world. I once had the rear kick out violently in a corner with less than finesse throttle use, the rear went out a good foot and I was really caught by surprise. (The OEM tires didn't help) Thinking a high side was imminent, the bike suddenly corrected. I was tempted to congratulate myself on the great save when I realized the traction control deserved the credit. But you're right about it interfering during real aggressive riding...the "little" FJ is quite capable as a sport bike...I've had the front come up exiting hard, knee-down, 3rd gear corners (big smile) with the TCS off (obviously would not do it with it on)....but it's dumb riding it like that off the track. So, I generally like having it activated--just wanted the freedom to quickly deactivate it.  BTW, when I had the ECU reflashed, I persistently asked if the TCS could be made switchable on the move. They refused. Not sure he couldn't do it, or wouldn't do it for liability reasons. They did make it start in A mode which was nice.     

I turn off the tcs every time I get on the bike. Tcs almost caused me to have a two up crash once when it was pouring/hailing up a single lane road switch back that was flooding. The bike stalled out mid-corner on about a 19% uphill grade...I slid backwards about 25 ft with the front brake locked, feet out, all the way to the edge of the road before I got it stopped.

Had the tcs been off in the first place, I'd have just simply finished the corner

I turn off the tcs every time I get on the bike. Tcs almost caused me to have a two up crash once when it was pouring/hailing up a single lane road switch back that was flooding. The bike stalled out mid-corner on about a 19% uphill grade...I slid backwards about 25 ft with the front brake locked, feet out, all the way to the edge of the road before I got it stopped.  
Had the tcs been off in the first place, I'd have just simply finished the corner
Damn tall people and their long legs. I'd have gotten one foot down planted then fell over the other way!

'15 FJ09

Archived