Search for the "Best" Sport Touring gloves

NOTE:  My "Requirements" & "Not required, but appreciated" lists have been edited.

The search for the "best gloves" is something most, if not all, of us are not only quite familiar with, but is an ongoing/continuous battle.  Complicating matters, at least for me right now, is specific "requirements" I have.   For the past several years, I've been riding a sport bike (2006 Suzuki SV650S, which was preceded by a 1999 Suzuki SV650).  The mesh Cortech gloves I've been using were perfect for the much shorter rides, but, with the longer rides I'll be doing on my new FJ-09, my glove needs have drastically changed.   The Cortech gloves don't provide enough padding, thus the vibration causes numbness in the hands.  Additionally, being mesh (fairly thin material), they provide no protection from the wind.   As such, I'm turning to the FJ-09/Tracer community to not only help me, but, to potentially help numerous others with this same, or similar, needs.

Regarding my 'primary riding area', I live in San Jose, CA, typically ride as far north as Napa, as far south as Monterey, and as far east as Fresno.  At the same time, I do plan eventual rides north to Mendocino (this summer), South to Santa Barbara, and (possibly) east to Yosemite (Mendocino & Yosemite NOT during winter).   As I said, I have certain "requirements", but I also have some specifics that are "not required, but would be greatly appreciated".

Requirements:
1)  Preferably,  NO full-leather gloves - I have a "broken internal thermostat", and tend to overheat easily (partial leather gloves are acceptable, as long as requirements 2 & 3 are still meet); if a pair of full-leather gloves can meet the other requirements, that might be acceptable
2)   "Breathable" - as you might have guessed from requirement #1, I sweat easily, thus non-breathable materials, such as Drystar & Gore-Tex, won't work
3)  Windproof/Wind-resistant - there are materials, such as Gore Windstopper, which are breathable & windproof, but I have been unable to find any Gore Windstopper motorcycle gloves that also has padding in the palms
4)  Greater-than-average padding for palms (preferably gel, but foam rubber acceptable)
5)  NOT overly-warm - no 'thick' gloves that will cause sweating when temps are above the low 80s; thinner is better, as long as requirements 1-4 are met

6)  Less than $250...less than $200 wound be even better

7)  No "blaring" - all-black, or black w/ blue, is preferable; all-black, or black & blue, w/ minor amounts of white is acceptable: NO other "overly-noticeable" colors)

Not required, but appreciated:
1)  Touch-capable - by 'touch-capable', I mean "able to operate a cell phone, GPS, etc while being worn" (the line of "Tech" gloves by Alpinestars don't really qualify...while they (occasionally) work correctly when 'tapping', I've noticed that they almost never work when 'swyping/sliding')
2)  Less than $175...less than $150 wound be best
3)  Water-resistant - this is the LEAST-important point on the list

Ok...so, does anyone out there have suggestions as to what gloves meet all of my "requirements"?  If there are any suggestions for gloves meeting ALL my "requirements", plus something from my "not required, but appreciated", all the better.

I buy these leather farm hand gloves from my local farm store... only thing is they really don't work on fine touch such cellphones- which is not a problem because my "cockpit" is not loaded with gadgets...I use em all year round till winter hits in Michigan..

yes I do own a pair of track approved motorcycle gloves but hate the majority of the gloves on the market due to fitment/movement and the way cuffs tend to hinder/restrict movement...

in a perfect world I want to use dirt biking gloves on a road bike

Kinco leather gloves are my choice...Usually by 2 pairs since they tend to go on sale for $8 a pair... Im liking the full grain buffalo leather ones so far...none of that split leather crap...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
Have you thought about 2 different pair of gloves? it sounds like you are asking too much for one single pair.
As you said, waterproof and vented dont go in the same sentence. Since you have a "broken internal thermostat", windproof wouldn't be a good idea in California.
I have a pair of Goretex Alpinestars for rain or cold and a pair of vented Alpinestars for anything over 60-65 degrees. I always carry both with me just in case.

A few weeks ago I was riding the North Cascades Highway in Washington, on one side of the pass it was 87 degrees, as I got to the summit @ 5,500' it was pouring rain and 44 with snow on the shoulders, on the other side of the pass it was 92 degrees. One pair of gloves would not have cut it for me.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Have you thought about 2 different pair of gloves? it sounds like you are asking too much for one single pair. As you said, waterproof and vented dont go in the same sentence. Since you have a "broken internal thermostat", windproof wouldn't be a good idea in California.
I have a pair of Goretex Alpinestars for rain or cold and a pair of vented Alpinestars for anything over 60-65 degrees. I always carry both with me just in case.

A few weeks ago I was riding the North Cascades Highway in Washington, on one side of the pass it was 87 degrees, as I got to the summit @ 5,500' it was pouring rain and 44 with snow on the shoulders, on the other side of the pass it was 92 degrees. One pair of gloves would not have cut it for me.
Yup this right here. If you are going to be that particular about your gloves you need to carry 2 pairs. Not to one up you betoney but I have 3 pairs of alpinestars gloves but I don't carry more than 1 extra pair at a time and not at all in the summer. I find anything warmer than 75 or so I have to ditch the gauntlets and go to the smx-2s. Actually Norcal616 you would probably like them a lot they are pretty much dirt bike gloves with a knuckle piece.

'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

My all time favorites are Lee Parks Design Deerskin short touring gloves http://leeparksdesign.com/deertours/. If you follow the sizing direction and order the correct size they feel a bit tight. Just put them on and wash them (on your hands) in warm water with soap, like washing your bare hands. Wear them wet for about 5 minutes, then let dry in a vertical position, like over a bottle. You will not find a more durable and comfortable pair of gloves anywhere. A few years back I came off the bike at about 60 MPH, shredded my suit, but only had minor abrasions on the glove from road burn, amazing. I learned that deerskin is about 8 times more abrasion resistant than leather. Something I can attest to. These aren't cheap but I have not found anything that compares.

I buy these leather farm hand gloves from my local farm store... only thing is they really don't work on fine touch such cellphones- which is not a problem because my "cockpit" is not loaded with gadgets...I use em all year round till winter hits in Michigan.. 
yes I do own a pair of track approved motorcycle gloves but hate the majority of the gloves on the market due to fitment/movement and the way cuffs tend to hinder/restrict movement...

Kinco leather gloves are my choice...Usually by 2 pairs since they tend to go on sale for $8 a pair... Im liking the full grain buffalo leather ones so far...none of that split leather crap...
Unfortunately, as I stated, no "full leather gloves".

My all time favorites are Lee Parks Design Deerskin short touring gloves http://leeparksdesign.com/deertours/. If you follow the sizing direction and order the correct size they feel a bit tight. Just put them on and wash them (on your hands) in warm water with soap, like washing your bare hands. Wear them wet for about 5 minutes, then let dry in a vertical position, like over a bottle. You will not find a more durable and comfortable pair of gloves anywhere. A few years back I came off the bike at about 60 MPH, shredded my suit, but only had minor abrasions on the glove from road burn, amazing. I learned that deerskin is about 8 times more abrasion resistant than leather. Something I can attest to. These aren't cheap but I have not found anything that compares.
Again, these are all leather...won't work.

Have you thought about 2 different pair of gloves? it sounds like you are asking too much for one single pair. As you said, waterproof and vented dont go in the same sentence. Since you have a "broken internal thermostat", windproof wouldn't be a good idea in California.

I indicated that waterproof gloves "would be nice", but it's not required. The only requirements are windproof, breathable, NOT all leather, lightly warm (in other words, summer wearing), no "outrageous" colors (all black is good), extra palm padding, and not overly-expensive.

• Supporting Member
 The only requirements are windproof, breathable, NOT all leather, lightly warm (in other words, summer wearing)

Again, I think you are looking at 2 separate pair of gloves. 

From your own description you overheat easily, AND ride in Central California so you would want a vented glove to keep cool, but want it to be windproof (usually found on a cold weather glove) as well as breathable. 

I cant think of ANY glove that meets all of those criteria.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The only requirements are windproof, breathable, NOT all leather, lightly warm (in other words, summer wearing)

Again, I think you are looking at 2 separate pair of gloves. 

From your own description you overheat easily, AND ride in Central California so you would want a vented glove to keep cool, but want it to be windproof (usually found on a cold weather glove) as well as breathable. 

I cant think of ANY glove that meets all of those criteria.

Technically, I'm in Northern California, which tends to be somewhat cooler than Central CA.  As for "windproof", maybe I'm overstating...maybe "wind-resistant" might be better (I'll 'correct' my original posting).  In regards to you not being able to think of any gloves, you might be right, and, then again, one never knows. 

Unfortunately, as I stated, no "full leather gloves". 

To me full leather gloves are gaulent style glove... sounds like you need to make your own or modify an existing pair...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
@panther6834 - It sounds to me like you are searching for the unicorn of gloves... likely doesn't exist.

With the micro-climates in the North Bay (or elsewhere), you would need a pair of magic gloves to be comfortable in the 30+ degree temp swings you can see in a single days ride. I get by with one pair for most of my riding - accepting that if I'm in Napa I may sweat a little, and when at the beach I may have to turn on the heated grips.

Good luck with your search and if you do find the unicorn, please let us know. :)

Some minor points

- GoreTex is breathable. Perhaps not to the level you require but when compared to truly non-breathable materials (think rain over suits) I can feel the difference.
- Never used padding in gloves to address vibration. Grips, grip puppies, bar mods, but not glove padding. Ymmv.

Another option -- if you find a glove that satisfies most of your requirements but perhaps not cold/wind/rain resistance consider carrying a pair of Aerostrich Triple Digit covers or similar.

Don't think my best will be the same as your best but my favorite glove ever continues to be Held Steves. If on a long trip will also carry a pair of waterproof gloves, Held Wave, other GoreTex or similar.

@panther6834 - It sounds to me like you are searching for the unicorn of gloves... likely doesn't exist. 
With the micro-climates in the North Bay (or elsewhere), you would need a pair of magic gloves to be comfortable in the 30+ degree temp swings you can see in a single days ride. I get by with one pair for most of my riding - accepting that if I'm in Napa I may sweat a little, and when at the beach I may have to turn on the heated grips.

Good luck with your search and if you do find the unicorn, please let us know. :)

Well, the "unicorn l has been found henchman...and, to betoney, it's one pair, not two. Technically, it's two items, but still a single pair of gloves. First, to solve the "additional padding, to reduce/eliminate vibration, this should be accomplished through the use of a pair of Grip Puppies (I'll update once they arrive, and are installed). They are made of a foam rubber, look similar to replacement grips, and install over the actual bar grips. As for meeting all my other retirement, and almost all my "preferred" points, this is accomplished through a pair of Held Air n Dry gloves. However, since I don't have any real need for waterproof gloves, I've decided to get the Held Airsteam II gloves.

Archived