FJ-09 Front TCS Sensor Hitting Wheel

Hi all, I picked up a ‘17 FJ-09 with 0 miles on it today and just took it out for the first ride. I first heard clicking in the front wheel areas so I stopped and checked and saw nothing. Then a mile later my tcs light came on and the bike had no throttle. I pulled over on the side of the road and found the speed sensor for the TCS was both loose and making contact with the wheel. It’s pretty chewed up. I’m guessing there is a spacer missing on the axle or sensor or something? I’m just trying to get a better idea of what’s going on before I take it to the dealer this weekend. Thanks 

73488_F2_E-_B54_B-4482-_A4_E4-4_B764504_B8_E0.jpg

D3_B6_FB5_F-_BC44-4_E44-_AAAF-_C35_D89535_E15.jpg

FEB6_BACC-8_D11-4_C7_D-_AB75-2_E1152363_F86.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
Unless the '17 is way different than the '15 model, something looks terribly wrong with those pictures. It looks like everything is backward from my '15 model. Hopefully someone with a '17 can confirm???

On the '15 model, when looking at the front wheel standing in front of the bike, the speed ring, sensor and pinch bolt on the fork are all on the left side, the axle goes from left to right and the wheel spacers are completely different on each side, the left one has a V shape that fits into a tab on the fork leg.

From the photos, it looks like the speed ring and speed sensor are on different sides of the wheel.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Your ring is on the right side but the sensor is on the left side, correct?

I looked up a parts fiche and the forks on the '17 are different than the '15, but the ring and sensor should be on the same side, which would tell me that the wheel was installed backward.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Unless the '17 is way different than the '15 model, something looks terribly wrong with those pictures. It looks like everything is backward from my '15 model. Hopefully someone with a '17 can confirm??? 
On the '15 model, when looking at the front wheel standing in front of the bike, the speed ring, sensor and pinch bolt on the fork are all on the left side, the axle goes from left to right and the wheel spacers are completely different on each side, the left one has a V shape that fits into a tab on the fork leg.

From the photos, it looks like the speed ring and speed sensor are on different sides of the wheel.
Agree. I think that thar wheel is installed back-erds. (that's a technical term) Sensor= DOA
Keep Asheville weird!

• Supporting Member
Crazy right? I’m worried about what else was assembled by them.  
The bike has 6 miles on it now. The first 2 were great 
Wow.  So, first of all, welcome to the forum!   Lots of great information to be found here...  I will say that you're taking this amazingly well.   A bit of a rough start to your FJ ownership experience, but you really ARE going to love the bike.   Once it's assembled correctly, of course.   
Does anyone know if the bike is shipped from the factory with the front wheel already mounted in place?  I'm assuming this is a careless dealer prep setup issue, since I can't fathom one getting out of the assembly line like that.  

Archived