FJ-09 Front TCS Sensor Hitting Wheel

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
@texscottyd Mine was new in the crate, the front wheel and handlebars were NOT assembled from the factory.
That’s the answer then. Looks like the ‘dealer prep’ part of the program has a slight quality control issue...

My '16 was crated with wheels and bars off, and dealer assembled it. By dealer I mean the shop apprentice that usually doesn't get jobs beyond tires and oil changes.

I'm usually easy going about things but they let you ride away on a bike that was DANGEROUS due to their negligence. If it were me I'd have the dealer pick up the bike, make any and all repairs (and corrections to assembly) plus have a senior mechanic inspect the bike for any other potential issues, all free of charge. (Your state may even require that they do this.) If they give you any hassle I would make sure to log a complaint with Better Business Bureau.

Best of luck. Hope it gets resolved quickly and smoothly.

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I’m going to call the dealer as soon as they open and see what they say. I will say that this dealer is notorious for long turn around times on tire installs and oil changes. I’m hoping they will give me some priority on this. I think I’d be happier if I just got reimbursed for the part, re-installed the front wheel, and cleared the code just because I’d know exactly how long it would be taking XD.

I’m looking forward to being a part of this forum!

• Premium Member
Take it back to the dealer, this is an assembly issue. Bikes come shipped in crates with "Some Assembly Required"

Back in the day, I worked at a local motorcycle shop (Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki). The job of assembling the bikes fell to the lowest ranking person at the shop. (me) At 19 years old, and getting paid by the bike, the incentive is to get the thing put together quickly, not necessarily accurately. as you are learning, you can end up with mistakes and/or spare/missing parts. Once you have done a specific model a few times, you can do it quickly and accurately.

I'm guessing you got a newbie assembling your bike, and you need to take it back and have the service manager or senior mechanic check it out and replace any missing or damaged parts.

• Supporting Member
After I bought my bike, I got a survey from Yamaha about the dealer and buying experience. My experience was 5 stars across the board and I let Yamaha know how pleased I was with the dealership.

A week later I was in there buying oil and filter for the initial change and the owner came out and thanked me for the kind words in the survey, so they do not fall on deaf ears. Let Yamaha know about this experience.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

After I bought my bike, I got a survey from Yamaha about the dealer and buying experience. My experience was 5 stars across the board and I let Yamaha know how pleased I was with the dealership. 
A week later I was in there buying oil and filter for the initial change and the owner came out and thanked me for the kind words in the survey, so they do not fall on deaf ears. Let Yamaha know about this experience.

Wow, that’s nice to hear. I’ve always wondered if those kind of surveys are ever looked at/effective.

I talked to the GM at this dealer and they are going to come pick up the bike within a few hours and have it checked out immediately. He’s been extremely nice about it so far. People like this make things a lot easier.

I hope this won’t be viewed in any other way that helpful, but I’m going to leave a note on the bike with the part number for the front wheel sensor. If anyone’s curious, it’s Yamaha part # BS2-85970-00-00.

• Supporting Member
I talked to the GM at this dealer and they are going to come pick up the bike within a few hours and have it checked out immediately. He’s been extremely nice about it so far. People like this make things a lot easier.

That's great news, glad to hear that they are taking care of the situation.  Hopefully you will be back on the road soon finally enjoying this awesome bike.

I knew what the problem was just by reading the title as I actually did this to my own bike one night. Put the wheel on wrong, took it off the stand and crushed the sensor.

Make sure you get the 2017 sensor as it is a different part from the 2015-16. Learned that the hard way too haha.

Maybe you like wrenching on your bike but it's more work than you think to replace the sensor. The plug is under the tank only accessible by removing everything.

I knew what the problem was just by reading the title as I actually did this to my own bike one night. Put the wheel on wrong, took it off the stand and crushed the sensor. 
Make sure you get the 2017 sensor as it is a different part from the 2015-16. Learned that the hard way too haha.

Maybe you like wrenching on your bike but it's more work than you think to replace the sensor. The plug is under the tank only accessible by removing everything.

Yeah, I can see how this could happen easily. On bikes I’ve had in the past, the brake disc is on one side. It’s easier to install backwards when there’s a disc on each side of the wheel I suppose XD. I traced the sensor cable and you can get to it in the opening just above the radiator if you’re laying on the floor.

• Premium Member
Glad the dealer is taking care of it, gives me hope that there are still some great dealers around......

• 2 weeks later...
Update:

The dealership had my bike since the morning after this post. They repeatedly refused to have someone call me back concerning my bike for 9 days. I went in there in person to see what was going on with it and they haven’t touched it yet. I told them I was taking the bike with me and I’ll take care of it myself and send them a bill for the part. I’ll be ordering the part tomorrow. Does anyone know what the best jacking position is on the bike for removing the front tire?

• Supporting Member
@electricpanda So sorry to hear of your ordeal. Its unbelievable how some dealers treat their customers.

Did you ever get the new customer survey after buying your bike?

Archived