Planning to buy a used FJ-09

Hi,
I commute almost daily and year round around Seattle WA / USA on a Honda CBR300R. I'm planning to upgrade to a (used most likely) FJ-09. Trying to find out what the proper used price is (with the new models just out in the US...), especially with vs. without hard bags for the used price. 

Anyway, I'm an enthusiast and will likely become a common reader of this forum. I only write if I know some answer, and I most likely won't for a while :-) 

As a rider: I'm a commuter, rider in the rain (and cold / I have electric heated jacket and gloves), wearing ATGATT , high-vis stuff. I'm like an advertisement for visibility :-). 

Welcome to the forum @terryfrench. There is a whole thread on lowest price if you have a search. You should be able to find a bargain as there has always been a good stock of low mileage 15/16 examples and prices may also fall due to the launch of the GT recently.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
Welcome aboard, glad to have you join us. I'm in Seattle, or more specifically North Bend. The Fj09 doesn't seem to be an overly popular bike here in the PNW, but I do see a few around. I also know that there are a number of Seattle based FJ-09 riders on the forum, so you are definitely not alone.

You might try reaching out to all the Yamaha dealers in the Greater Seattle Area and let their used bike folks know what you are looking for. You never know when they get a good one in on a trade. PM me if you have any questions, glad to help any way I can.

Once you do get your FJ09, you will have a blast riding back and forth over the mountains with it.

Yes, the deals are out there. I just bought a used, haha I laugh when I say used, it had 2,348 miles on it when I got it a few weeks ago, 2015, red, with Hebco/Becker bags for $7,000 even. Anyway, before we get too far into this, Welcome and that's a good-sized step from a 300 to a 900. I've always been one of those that's said, "It's all in the wrist, the right wrist that is". And remember, before you change this and do that, get out and ride the bike, then figure out what you need to make it right for you. There are a couple of updates I know I already want to do. Put in my own 12-volt power outlets rewired to the battery with 10 amp fuse to get past the anemic 2 amp stocker. Putting on the new design clutch cable. While I'm running wire under the tank for the 12-volt power outlets I'll snake thru the clutch cable. Both of those are utility not really farkles. You chose the right bike, ABS and Traction control will serve you well in the northwest. 
FJ09_1.jpg

FJ09_10.jpg

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Welcome to the forum @terryfrench. There is a whole thread on lowest price if you have a search. You should be able to find a bargain as there has always been a good stock of low mileage 15/16 examples and prices may also fall due to the launch of the GT recently.

Big increase in power and esrly models could be be very abrupt off idle. I recommend 2016 or later. It took me about 2000 miles for my 2016 to provide predictable power without over reliance on cluch control. Now 2nd gear tight turns witout using clutch are normal. 2018 MT-09 has improved windscreen and fairing, visibility with both lights on low beam.

• Supporting Member

@leonardlloyd   I think you are getting your models mixed up. 

The 2018 MT-09 is the replacement for the FZ-09 and does not have a fairing or a windscreen, there was no 2018 model FJ-09 or Tracer/Tracer GT, and NONE of the models have both lights illuminated for low beam.

FZ - FJ - MT - Tracer, too many models to keep track of.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The 2018 MT-09 is the replacement for the FZ-09 and does not have a fairing or a windscreen, there was no 2018 model FJ-09 or Tracer/Tracer GT, and NONE of the models have both lights illuminated for low beam.

To further add to the confusion, this varies by country.  In Canada, the Tracer 900 is listed as a 2018 MY, whereas the Tracer 900 GT is listed as a 2019.  No idea why; I guess initially the GT wasn't coming to Canada so maybe that's the reason but who knows. 
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/list.php?group=MC&catId=1

• Supporting Member

To further add to the confusion, this varies by country.  In Canada, the Tracer 900 is listed as a 2018 MY, whereas the Tracer 900 GT is listed as a 2019.  No idea why; I guess initially the GT wasn't coming to Canada so maybe that's the reason but who knows. 
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/list.php?group=MC&catId=1

And to further add to the confusion, I believe in Europe and maybe Canada, previous model was the MT-09 Tracer.  MT was the FZ equivalent, and MT Tracer was the FJ model, now they have changed it up again. 

Give it another 3 years and when they revise the bike again, they will probably drop the Tracer name and just have the MT-09 GT ... or MT-09 GT+  who knows?

And... now I own one :-)

IMG_4423.jpg

Now I have to:
- figure which service manual to order, the CA or not CA. My guess "CA" because in WA state they apply the California emission rules...
- figure out why the front brake lever doesn't trigger the brake light. Ideally without a trip to the dealer. I'll search in this forum. the switch makes the click noise expected. rear brake triggers the brake light. So it's either the front lever switch not working or not connected properly somewhere.
- inflate the tires. Front was 31 psi "hot" instead of 36 psi "cold", so really under-inflated. Typical "pay for a setup fee and we don't even check the brake light works or the tires are inflated". Although the manager checked the chain, found it too tight and got a tech to fix it. As I watched, a torque wrench was used, with some torque setting set, so I will assume that part is ok :-)

Anyway, I'm happy and will look for experience adding Denali (D2 I think) lights to the FJ-09. I'm moving them from my CBR300, and will need to find enough space under the seat for the relay... as well as a neat place to route the wires. Took me one hour to remove all the stuff I had on the old bike and I've not even done the tail yet (had a "vololight" license place I'll move to the new bike)

Interesting about WA and CA emissions. Didn't realize other states weren't getting 49 state models. Wouldn't worry about the manual. IME the CA-only canister, hoses, rollover valve etc can be easily identified with online parts fiches. Most folks only ever refer to that info if they're considering removing it but this is already documented on forums with photos etc.

• Supporting Member
- figure which service manual to order, the CA or not CA. My guess "CA" because in WA state they apply the California emission rules...  

??? As a lifelong Washington resident, I have not heard of this.  What have I missed?

Concerning the bike, the CA model will have extra parts installed for emissions, canister and hoses.

Congratulations on the new bike, I love the white model.  We have heard a lot recently about dealers doing improper prep on new bikes, one new member had his front wheel installed backward which ruined the ABS sensor once he left the dealer.
For the front brake, there is a switch under the lever which should have 2 wires connected, make sure they both are firmly connected.
Good luck and enjoy the new bike.

• Premium Member

huh.png As a lifelong Washington resident, I have not heard of this.  What have I missed?

Concerning the bike, the CA model will have extra parts installed for emissions, canister and hoses.

Congratulations on the new bike, I love the white model.  We have heard a lot recently about dealers doing improper prep on new bikes, one new member had his front wheel installed backward which ruined the ABS sensor once he left the dealer.
For the front brake, there is a switch under the lever which should have 2 wires connected, make sure they both are firmly connected.
Good luck and enjoy the new bike.

Washington motorcycles do **NOT** have the CA emissions modifications, and if the state does adopt those standards, all currently registered motorcycles would be grandfathered in.

Switch: one of the 2 leads wasn't connected. So fixed in a few seconds. I might look into securing things a little better (weather wise) by removing them and adding some heat shrink tubing a little higher, and/or using some self-fusing silicon tape to wrap around.

Motorcycles in WA vs. CA I do not know. For cars, I know.
https://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/smog-check.php

Car Inspection Requirements in WACalifornia Emissions Standards in WA
According to Washington's Clean Car Law, vehicles with a 2009 model year or newer being bought, sold, registered, titled and operated in the state must be certified to California emissions standards.

Vehicles that fall under this requirement include:

All new passenger cars, pickup trucks, vans, and SUVs with a model year of 2009 or newer.
Used cars that:
Are model year 2009 or newer.
Have less than 7,500 miles.
Are newly owned by a Washington resident.
Confirm that your car meets California emissions status by checking the Vehicle Emissions Control Information located in your car's engine compartment. If the label says that your car is certified under any of the following, your car is compliant with Washington law:

CARB certified (California Emissions Standard)
50-state certified (Sale in all 50 states).
Sale in northeast.
This does not mention motorcycles, so who knows. I kind of hope I don't have the CA stuff. I like the environment like everyone, but the extra complexity means more things to go wrong.

Archived