Wobble at 105MPH, Why?

act1976

Put massive amounts of farkles on the front of the bike. This seems to work for many here smiley.png 
Check your grip. Aeros are difficult to mod beyond removing/changing hand guards, experimenting with the screen. Get the bike sprung for your weight and typical loading conditions. Raise the forks (you've done this). Check the steering head. Add a link or two to the chain.

Personally haven't done most of the these things other than dumping handguards, raising forks, and proper suspension but others have reported positive results.

But my point is you don’t need to do any of those things. Relaxed grip on the bars, standard suspension adjusted for your weight, job done.  I’m taking it for granted that your tyre pressures are correct and tyres not overly worn. 
Anything else is just throwing money at the symptoms, IMO.

CS

Put massive amounts of farkles on the front of the bike. This seems to work for many here smiley.png 
Check your grip. Aeros are difficult to mod beyond removing/changing hand guards, experimenting with the screen. Get the bike sprung for your weight and typical loading conditions. Raise the forks (you've done this). Check the steering head. Add a link or two to the chain.

Personally haven't done most of the these things other than dumping handguards, raising forks, and proper suspension but others have reported positive results.

But my point is you don’t need to do any of those things. Relaxed grip on the bars, standard suspension adjusted for your weight, job done.  I’m taking it for granted that your tyre pressures are correct and tyres not overly worn. 
Anything else is just throwing money at the symptoms, IMO.

CS
Agree that grip is an issue for many and is a good point. As you can see in the quote it was included it in my post as well. But we'll have to disagree that there aren't other issues. 

Bruce In Tuscon for example found his steering head bearing too tight. Didn't cost him anything but time to check and adjust. Know at least two others (one of whom I've done track days with) that gave up and sold the bike because they couldn't deal with it. And they are experienced riders that don't suffer these issues on any of the other bikes they've owned and maintained. 

In my case no money thrown. My changes to the bike were being made for other reasons. If the stock suspension is sprung for your weight and loading that's great. That's rare IME. 

Most of what I listed isn't costly to do in terms of ruling issues in/out IMO. 

Something is seriously wrong with the design, way too many people report this problem. You might have not noticed it yet, but if you get into any kind of dirty air at highway speeds it also gets pretty unstable. I upgraded to K-tech suspension front and rear with heavier spring rates and there was no change, the bike still tried to kill me at 110mph. Taking off the handguards seemed/kindof/sortof to have made a small difference. I'm not holding on too tight, tire pressure is correct, correct torque on headset, blah, blah, blah. Yamaha should have never sold this bike like this, I've regretted owning it since day 1.

• Supporting Member
Something is seriously wrong with the design, way too many people report this problem. You might have not noticed it yet, but if you get into any kind of dirty air at highway speeds it also gets pretty unstable. I upgraded to K-tech suspension front and rear with heavier spring rates and there was no change, the bike still tried to kill me at 110mph. Taking off the handguards seemed/kindof/sortof to have made a small difference. I'm not holding on too tight, tire pressure is correct, correct torque on headset, blah, blah, blah. Yamaha should have never sold this bike like this, I've regretted owning it since day 1.
Since you have an aftermarket shock, have you used the ride height adjustment?  When my suspension was set up, they raised the rear about 5mm and raised the forks in the clamps 5-7mm. 
The only time I get any light front end feel is dirty air behind a large vehicle on the highway. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
The Tracer is really just a jacked up naked bike and naked bikes can do all kind of weird things at high speeds, especially when they have wide handlebars and weirdly shaped body parts sticking out in the wind. If you want good stability at high speeds you need to get a sportbike or a BMW.
BLB

in a nod to the chap that just hung up his S1000RR for the FJ/GT because of pains in the neck, just think what you're giving up!

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2018/07/242-mph-on-bmw-s1000-rr-power/

I dare say the FJ's wobble is because of the hand-guards, the 2 extra brake rotors and un-aerodynamic calipers, and lack of enclosed tail-section air-streaming. *kidding*

I recently rode a '16 Duc Monster 1200S without it's steering damper. It didn't headshake as such (I wasn't going over 80 either) but the feedback from the wheel was bizarre - felt like it was skimming the road and just on the edge of waggle while straight up. Chuck it into a corner like an on/off ramp though and it was far more communicative and stable. The rake 24.3d and trail 93mm is probably the major culprit here. The Penigalli uses 100mm and the BMW S1000 similarly. The 2017 made both rake and trail smaller. wow...

Archived