New Tracer 900 GT Owner from Kansas

komil

I picked up my bike and put about 350 miles on it.
The bike is really pretty to say the least. Colors are awesome (my old FZ-09 had the same burple scheme).

First thing i can say is that the seat sucks. There is a slope and you are constantly sliding forward. This start to hurt the longer in the ride you are and becomes really uncomfortable. I had to stop several times just to relieve the pain. I found on another thread mention on this and someone suggesting to put the seat on the highest height. I will try that today and see if it helps.

Next is the windscreen. It is just passable for me at the tallest setting (i am 5ft7) but like many have mentioned already, there are losts of wind noise. Even with earplugs, i notice them a lot. Just tucking a little and it becomes pretty quiet.

Engine: Great engine as we already know it but i am not sure if it's because the engine is still in the break-in period but i am noticing a lots of vibrations (handle bars, foot pegs, mirrors). This is the first "brand new" motorcycle i ap><p><a href=https://s15.postimg.cc/n965dn6sr/20180804_112612.jpg' alt='20180804_112612.jpg'>

20180804_112620.jpg

20180804_112626.jpg

I'm sure there will aftermarket seats out shortly. I know CalSci has announced their windscreens to be released earlier this month (my personal favorite). I think you're the first person to mention vibrations on a GT. On the previous FJ, some bikes have them, some don't. Common remedies are grip puppies and rubber footpegs.

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
I think you're the first person to mention vibrations on a GT. On the previous FJ, some bikes have them, some don't. Common remedies are grip puppies and rubber footpegs.
I am one that after 23,000 miles, still has a lot of vibration, almost all of it is on the right side. I have the rubber topped adventure style pegs, have tried grip puppies, filling the bars with BB’s, steel bar end weights etc, my handlebars vibrate enough that my right mirror is almost useless. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I think you're the first person to mention vibrations on a GT. On the previous FJ, some bikes have them, some don't. Common remedies are grip puppies and rubber footpegs.
I am one that after 23,000 miles, still has a lot of vibration, almost all of it is on the right side. I have the rubber topped adventure style pegs, have tried grip puppies, filling the bars with BB’s, steel bar end weights etc, my handlebars vibrate enough that my right mirror is almost useless. 
I didn't have it for the first 4500 miles. Now it's pretty prominent throughout the rev range. Its strange.

'15 FJ09

...I’ve also noticed the gear box is rather clunky - especially neutral to first. Is this a break-in normality?

I prefer to consider this "positive engagement" lol... it stays "clunky" however my personal opinion is that it is no more clunky than any of my previous bikes.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

...I’ve also noticed the gear box is rather clunky - especially neutral to first. Is this a break-in normality?
I prefer to consider this "positive engagement" lol... it stays "clunky" however my personal opinion is that it is no more clunky than any of my previous bikes.

Oh, there’s no doubt it’s positively engaged. Yamaha could save some money by eliminating the digital gear indicator with this analog version. At first, I thought the chain was not slack enough. According to the manual my .5” is spot on.

Oh, there’s no doubt it’s positively engaged. Yamaha could save some money by eliminating the digital gear indicator with this analog version. At first, I thought the chain was not slack enough. According to the manual my .5” is spot on.
This spec is widely considered wrong. We run ~25-30mm.

OK thanks! This is why I subscribe to these types of forums.

I will check the windscreen when it comes out.

Yeah I was kind of surprised about the vibrations too because my old fz09 has the same engine but wasnt that pronounced.

I just wasnt sure if its because it was still in the breaking period or what or even if it was kind of normal for the FJ models. Hope it gets better.

I’ve noticed the vibration too on my new 2017 FJ. I put on a set of Motech mirror extensions, but it’s exteremely fuzzy on both sides. I’ve also noticed the gear box is rather clunky - especially neutral to first. Is this a break-in normality?
My mirrors aren't too fuzzy so not that bad. But vibrations in the handle bars aren't much more than I expected. Hope it gets better after breakin period. 
Gearbox is what I am used to. I have had 3 Yamaha so far and they are all the same. Neutral to first is always like that. Kind of normal to me. Lol

But I noticed that using the quickshifter from 1st to 2nd is not very smooth at all. I actually only used from 2nd gear upward. It just seems to work better when you are pulling hard in general. This is my first bike with quickshifter so maybe it is normal.

vibrations are mainly due to the front sprocket having a rubber noise damping ring... this rubber ring makes the chain link themselves ride on the rubber ring rather than the rollers falling into the teeth of the sprocket... the links dont sit nicely going round the sprocket which causes an odd clunky bass rhythm than amplifies with rpm... solution was to run a plain jane front sprocket which made for smooth normal chain/sprocket vibrations...

going to 1st to 2nd is always a tad clunky and to be honest 1st gear is a bit pointless since 1st and 2nd gear have about 7mph diffrence at my 10k rpm shift point...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

When you hit the 600 mile service make sure the throttle bodies get synced. I'm doing my own 600 mile service so I've run through the checklist pretty much meticulously. I don't have much if any vibration on my GT that I would consider to be abnormal if it helps for reference. The mirrors do vibrate at speed but not enough to fuss about for me.
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

I know on the FJR, riders say to start the bike in neutral and let it warm up to normal idle speed.  Pull in the clutch and rev it up once.  Release the clutch lever while still in neutral and let the motor return to idle on its own.  Then pull in the clutch lever and it should snick into first gear.  Try it on the GT.  It works on the FJR. 
I'm told it's due to the clutch plates sticking together.  A clutch plate soak made be in order if the clutch plates are dry.  The soak should also improve shifting overall.  I don't own a GT yet so I can't share the clutch soak procedure on this particular bike.  Hope this helps!

I did the clutch soak procedure about a week before I traded in my FJR. It's a PITA and will only end up re-occuring again. Not worth the 20 bucks for a gasket IMO and only helped slightly. I'd just chalk it up to the way Yamaha transmissions are and that it's nothing to worry about. 
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

I did the clutch soak procedure about a week before I traded in my FJR. It's a PITA and will only end up re-occuring again. Not worth the 20 bucks for a gasket IMO and only helped slightly. I'd just chalk it up to the way Yamaha transmissions are and that it's nothing to worry about. 
It's definitely nothing to worry about, but what about the other rev procedure I mentioned? 

Archived