Questions About Ride Modes

Only reason I can come up with is that I that since I get to passing speed and cruising speed so much quicker that I am using less gas to get up to speed. Have no idea if that is the reason or not. But don't really have a better explanation.
I'm pretty sure the ECU adjusts power partially by fueling, and also by spark plug ignition timing. The ignition timing would affect gas mileage. 

'15 FJ09

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only reason I can come up with is that I that since I get to passing speed and cruising speed so much quicker that I am using less gas to get up to speed. Have no idea if that is the reason or not. But don't really have a better explanation.
I'm pretty sure the ECU adjusts power partially by fueling, and also by spark plug ignition timing. The ignition timing would affect gas mileage. 
Makes sense to me.  Since I am fairly well renown around my circle of riding buddies for my complete LACK of anything resembling mechanical ability or computer skills ... your explanation makes perfectly good sense to me.  Regardless, the better gas mileage in Sport Mode is somewhat surprising and definitely noticeable.  As much as 3-4 mpg ... and sometimes more ... when in the twisties.  When I am condemned to riding Highways (in the USA) or Motorways (for you in the UK) the difference is negligible. 

Archived