Questions About Ride Modes

Hey folks,

I've put about 3k miles on my new (to me) 2016 09 and have been exploring using the different ride modes.

At first I always ran in Standard mode and trained my wrist to deal with throttle and drivetrain lash above 4k rpm.

Then a pal suggested using B mode to soften throttle response and smooth out shifting. Which does seem to work.  But the bike seems less "peppy."

I've also tried A mode and it seems too aggressive for most stop/start street riding situations, and the throttle gets really sensitive to micro roll offs and other driver indiscretions.

So fellow FJers, my questions for you are...

1. Do ride modes STD and B reduce horsepower or just change the throttle response curve?

2. Is Traction Control behavior changed based on selected ride mode?

3. When and why do you drop it into A mode?

4. What mode do you normally use for everyday riding? 

Thanks, cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
If you have the ECU flashed then it smooths out A and STD modes. I like using A because it is a quick turn, like 1/6th turn vs 1/4 turn in STD. (At least that’s how it is after the flash). I only use B mode in slippery conditions, frosty roads, heavy rains etc.
I don’t know the exact figures, but have heard that B mode does not offer full power.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1. B reduces power. STD and B smooth response curve.
2. Traction control is not effected by ride mode.
3. When you want to have serious fun.
4. STD most of the time. Sometimes in heavy stop and go traffic I go to B for smooth response.
john

B mode does not offer full power. A and STD have similar peak powers IIRC but different maps to get you there. I think it changes ignition timing. There was a thread a while back, someone had done MPG calculations based on what mode they rode in. A got the best fuel mileage.

Personally I recommend a 2WDW flash. It makes A mode very linear and predictable.

'15 FJ09

In my opinion

#1- I think only A mode gives you 100% HP

#2-Traction is always active in every mode unless you turn it off.

#3-Only ride in A mode because its more fun ( unless you are riding in rain/sand/mud/snow or just feeling wimpy

#4-See # 3

In my opinion  
#1- Only A mode gives you 100% HP

#2-Traction is always active in every mode unless you turn it off.

#3-Only ride in A mode because its more fun ( unless you are riding in rain/sand/mud/snow or just feeling wimpy

#4-See # 3

I select "B" mode on local 2 lane roads because throttle management is much smoother, making it easier (at least for me) to maintain a set speed over rough surfaces. 
It is VERY important for me to maintain a set speed because the local constable is on a tear, handing out tickets for 2MPH over the limit.  Plus he cut me a HUGE break in my truck a while back and if I get nailed again, sympathy will only be a word in the dictionary between shet and syphilis.

But otherwise, yeah, "A" mode rules!

Got to watch for the "smokies" Do police not give a bit of a break to motorcycles in Maine?....They should
In general, yes.  I've gotten a blink on the blues and a patting "slow down" motion from the County Sheriff's boys on occasion. 
Local constable is a kid and needs a some seasoning, gets a little carried away sometimes.  To be fair tho, the locals have been ignoring the limit through town for years and speeds keep creeping up.  The 25MPH limit is silly, but so is blasting through town at 50 or 60.

My "problem" with the FJ is that it accelerates so dam fast I'm well above a 35 mph limit at the end of second gear!

Gotta love it!

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

All very good questions. Wish some of this shet was explained more, LOL!

(taken from FZ-09)
While A and STD modes produce identical full-throttle power graphs, A offers sharper throttle response in the low-to-midrange revs than STD. Toggling to B via the handlebar thumb button further softens throttle response and reduces top-end output to the tune of about 10 hp

I ride in STD mode 99% of the time.  Commuting to work is a stoplight to stoplight affair.  Sometimes i get through that stoplight before it changes though..haha

• Supporting Member
My "problem" with the FJ is that it accelerates so dam fast I'm well above a 35 mph limit at the end of second gear! 

And in case you were curious, you can get into triple digit speeds in 3rd gear w/o hitting the rev limiter. 
....or so I’ve heard.   8-)

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Did some "testing" with another FJ and we determined that wide open throttle in B mode produces the same amount of power as all others... only difference is the throttle curve for lack of better word.

Learn to ride in A mode and forget about the other modes.. I rode in A mode exclusively before me ECU flash and continue to ride in A mode after the flash.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

And in case you were curious, you can get into triple digit speeds in 3rd gear w/o hitting the rev limiter.  ....or so I’ve heard.   cool.png
I can neither confirm nor deny... B-|

Lately I've been riding in B-mode. I find that it makes 1st gear more useable and makes riding in the twisties more stable overall.

A-mode throttle response is way too abrupt and twitchy for anything but hooliganing around.

Std-mode is a nice balance that I used pretty much exclusively until my recent B-mode experiment.

Archived