Prospective FJ buyer needs some advice

Hello all,

New guy here, I did do some searching, but thought I would ask the pros for some advice/opinions.

I am looking for my next bike, had a ninja, FZ6R and then a VFR interceptor.  I was looking at the Suzuki GSX-S750Z, and had a tentative deal in place for one, but decided I wanted to see what the FJ-09 was all about.

I have some questions:

1)  Having come from the VFR whose throttle response is snatchy under 3K without a power commander... Is the FJ-09 the same?  Will I want a Power Commander right out of the gate?

2)  What year is preferred?  I have seen a few low mileage 2015's for around $7K, the 2016 for around $8K and the 2017 is around $9K.  Did they make any suspension or fuel mapping changes that would make one of those years preferred?

Thank you for any/all advice and non sarcastic comments.

-Chris

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, the throttle has some hesitation, snatchiness as you go from low to mid throttle settings. There are three approaches to try and help:
- adjust the throttle position sensor (TPS), which is free, but can only be done on earlier models where you can enter the diagnostic mode
- fit a “kev mod” which adjusts the signal from the O2 sensor in the exhaust. Cost (about £70), easy to get from ebay and easy to fit. I have this and am happy with the result
- get an ECU remap which also removes the upper speed limiter as well as smoothing out the fuel map. Cost depends on who does it, but searching the forum will give you more details.

My overall advice though would be to test ride one and see if you think it’s a problem. The positives of this engine far outweigh the drawbacks IMHO.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Thanks for the reply, I will look into test riding one.  
is the 2017 a smoother throttle response?

Anyone installed a Power commander? did it take care of the snatchiness?
I have a 15 and didn't think it was all that "snatchy".  However, there are a number of variables that affect the throttle response.  Check the how to's. 
Rather than a Power Commander, a more comprehensive and cost effective solution is to have the ECU reflashed.  I went with David Vcyclenut and am very pleased with the result.  There are others.  Again, check the forum for everyone's experience.

Either way, it's a fun bike that can only improve with mods.

Power Commander doesn't make a plug and play solution for these bikes. To mate a power commander on an FJ requires a lot of wiring splicing and soldering, etc. I was somewhat disappointed to discover this myself, seeing as all 7 bikes I've had previously to the FJ had plug and play PC solutions. However, as mentioned by the other members, there are ECU remap options that are cheaper than a power commander and provide a better result than a power commander ever could. Only downside is having the ECU out of the bike to ship it to a remapper. Assuming you don't have someone locally that can do it. So it means some down time while waiting for the turn around.

That said, they're awesome bikes.

• Premium Member
The ECU reflash solves most issues, I had mine done by 2Wheeldyno works, a vendor here on the forum. Couldn't be happier with the bike after the flash. I'm riding my 2015 bought in Fall of 2015 new.

main reason ppl say throttle is touchy seems to related to having very little experience using "electronic throttle" vs the ole cable system... electronics moves/response is far faster than the old cable system...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

since I have not yet purchased, did they make corrections in the 2017 model, or does the 2017 still need a ECU flash? 
Thanks,
Chris
Chris, 
I have not had an ECU flash and do not feel I need one on my 2015 FJ-09.  I can't imagine people needing one based on the way my bike runs.  I did own a 2014 FZ-09 that I needed to have flashed, so I'm not crazy, and I know when a bike isn't rideable because of the snatchy throttle.  Also, we have over 400 owners on this site and only a small percentage are getting the flash for their bikes.  My answer to your question would be:  You won't know until you try the bike you are going to buy out.  You will have to buy and see if your bike needs a flash, as it may not need one. It may not need one because of the way you ride.  It may not need one because you don't notice a snatchy throttle or it doesn't bother you.  You may need a flash if you take your bike to the track and need to travel at 135+mph.  Just don't assume you need a flash. 

For all you folks reading this.  Just because a few people think they need to have their bikes flashed, doesn't mean everyone needs to have their bikes flashed.  Just because a few folks see a massive improvement, doesn't mean everyone will see the same improvement.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Hi,

I did not see it mentioned in this thread... but be aware that the FJ has three riding modes: A, Standard, and B. You can change modes when stationary with the engine running.

The B mode is a rain mode that nicely mutes throttle snatch. Standard is the default mode and I do not find it very snatchy. The 6-speed transmission has very close ratios and I think that adds to the impression of snatch. I don't use A at all.

After riding the bike a month or so I was able to adapt to Standard mode with no snatch problems.

But, when I'm tired at the end of a long day I drop into B mode so my sloppy throttle maintenance is a non-issue.

I don't feel a flash is necessary for me.  I don't like fooling around with the basic systems of the bike. (You'll see a few threads here about folks having issues post-flash.)

If you've ridden a fuel injected VFR, you'll not have problems with the FJ.

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Hi, 
I did not see it mentioned in this thread... but be aware that the FJ has three riding modes: A, Standard, and B. You can change modes when stationary with the engine running.

cb
You can change mode while moving, the throttle just needs to be closed.  I do it on a regular basis.

Thanks,  The VFR was a bit challenging at first... especially if you are not ready for the 6800 RPM surprise.  Overall a good bike, but really looking for a great all around bike.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

I had a lead on a 2016 but, I think it was a bit over-priced at almost 8K.

Hopefully I will find the one I am looking for, but I am going to test ride one this weekend if it is still for sale.   I have only located one in my state for sale and it is 98 miles away.

Thanks again,
Chris

I had a lead on a 2016 but, I think it was a bit over-priced at almost 8K.
I paid $7,300 USD for my 2016 six months ago. Bike was dead stock, included Yami hard bags and had 3,200 miles on the clock. 
Seemed a bit hight at the time, but private seller has several interested parties and would not negotiate.

Glad I bought it!

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Archived