MPG when touring or on the freeway?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Ride in B mode or buy a TMax if you want lower fuel consumption :)
B mode doesn't get you better fuel consumption, does it?  If you have some information that verifies this, please post it up here.  As I understand, B mode only lessens the hp and softens the throttle a bit.  If you are going down the road, as in touring, at 65mph, A, B or STD, your fuel consumption will be the same as the work from the engine is the same. :)
It's true that irony doesn't transfer across the Atlantic very well, I see :)

Should I use more smilies?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Question on speedo. How does the FJ gets its speed readings? For example, the Versys gets its speed reading from the counter sprocket square nut. So, if the sprockets are changed, the indicated speed is the same but the actual speed changes (and so is the odometer). Is the FJ similar?

Another question on fuel consumption. Does colder weather gives worst of mpg compared to warmer weather? I noticed this on the cars (rented) I drove in the US. On colder days (32F and below), the mpg are lower but when the temperature rises (40 to 50F), I get better mpg. Same gas and the mpg are from the instrumentation.

There has been quite a bit of activity on this post since I last read it - I have worked a few things out, I see others have too, apologies for duplications.

First thing I have noticed is the speedometer is over reading, this will mean the odo will show more miles travelled than you actually have. As has been noted already, the consumption readout is higher than actual. Put the two together and I can see why Yamaha report lower consumption than what we are experiencing.

I had quite a few freeway miles to cover, so tried the different modes. B did seem to show a better return until there was an increase in engine load, going up a slight incline, then it seemed worse than STD. A mode did return a worse than average return, simply because after I put in that mode the wrist action was co-incidentally ;) more active (i.e. became way more progressive) !

If anyone is interested in what consumption I've been getting, my logbook is on  Fuelly I think you can change the display units (US MPG / l/100km / km/l) so it makes more sense  etc for you, I have it set to UK MPG.

• Premium Member
I tend to use the "uses some fuel" and "costs some money" approach to motorcycle economics. Of course, if I want something and there is a choice of vendors then I will probably select the cheaper one but I have never added up the costs of my motoring or used a spreadsheet!
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Cracked open the old MPG to L/100KM converter in another internet window and read through this post. Everything is pretty consistent with what I'm seeing on mine.

I have 2000KM on my bike, and reset the fuel average with every fill up. I've been super conservative and achieved a 4.8 L/100KM (49 MPG) average and been super aggressive and hit 6.0 L/100KM (39 MPG) average. Not thinking about it and just riding, I seem to hover somewhere in the middle. Usually around 5.5 L/100KM (43 MPG). 

What I haven't done yet, is just get on a highway and see how far I go. All of my riding so far has been basic day to day stuff. About half highway half city. Typically getting between 240 to 280 km (150 to 175 Miles) on a tank before the last bar starts flashing. 

Conclusion? Fun costs more :D

I've been super conservative and achieved a 4.8 L/100KM (49 MPG) average and been super aggressive and hit 6.0 L/100KM (39 MPG) average.  :D
4.8l/100 is very good, my best so far has been 5.54, the riding was more in your 6l camp though. I've never had good consumption on motorways, being of the slightly heavier build and being wider I suppose I'm like a lead weight sail ;)
I'm sure readers in the UK will have realised your MPG figures are US.

@magpie, I did 181 miles on 16.141l - not sure the distance on reserve, think it was 10 or 15 miles - I had it set-up for km's and have mentally muddled the numbers O_o.

Out of curiosity, can the US and / or the Canadian FJ's change from miles to km's/ USG to liters etc?  

Cracked open the old MPG to L/100KM converter in another internet window and read through this post.
+1 for opening the converter in another window.  There's no making sense of those crazy inverted numbers!  I'm sure that's thought by both camps...

Out of curiosity, can the US and / or the Canadian FJ's change from miles to km's/ USG to liters etc?  

I don't believe so. Unless I've missed something. It seems to be hard coded into the ECU. Kind of a shame, since Canadians tend to cross the border into the US a lot (and vice versa). It would be nice to have a display that matches the country you're in.  

That is a pity, it is usefully when crossing the border. The Europeans have the same problem, if they come to the UK they have to stick with metric, but we have an option to change. The owners manual should tell you, but you can check on the display - you know how to get into the settings? (hold the menu button in for at least 2 seconds) scroll down to unit, press menu - if you only see km then it doesn't have it, if you see 'km or mile' then you have. Maybe only the UK has that option.
- sorry think I'm hijacking the thread, oops.

Archived