Excessive heat from cooling system at rest

Most cooler weather riders provably welcome this warm blast of hot air wafting over their chilly legs, but wait until summer arrives. As a Florida rider we've had some nice 80 degree days for my daily commute.
I have an eleven mile trip to work through heavy traffic, stop and go, it takes about 1/2 hour to arrive on average.
When the cooling fan cranks up at a stop I'm blasted w/ very hot air. This is pleasant when the temps are low, but I'm concerned about when the temps are pushing 100.
I'm thinking there must be a way to divert this warm air to an advantage; on me when it's cold and off me during hot weather?

• Premium Member
Too cold here in the UK to experience this - I hope the bike will not be like my VFR750FR that used to cook my thighs when riding in the warmer parts of Europe.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Nothing I have noticed so far. It will be in the low 80s tomorrow, so I will check it out. I have ridden in the low 80s before and never noticed a problem. Do you ride in jeans? I always wear leathers or a 1 piece Teiz suit, so maybe that is why I haven't noticed it before. O_o
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

It was warm enough to just wear jeans today, and this is the first time I felt the heat. I wouldn't call it excessive, just part of the game with larger displacement bikes. My old Ninja had a neat system where it exhausted the heat down rather than sideways, but most bikes vent like the FJ I think.

It never gets THAT hot up here, so I don't think I'll find it an issue. If anything, it's just incentive to get moving ;)

Compared to a lot of bikes the FJ-09 is one of the better ones for heat management. Once it hits 90 or 100 sitting near any engine is going to be uncomfortable. At 100+ I am driving the car and enjoying the air conditioning.

Tonight my bike got up to 106 degrees Celsius. I have looked through the manual and there is nothing mentioning the heat or limit of it for this specific bike. Does anyone know what the limit is?

Mine was at 106 tonight too and that's in the chilly UK lol

• Premium Member
Tonight my bike got up to 106 degrees Celsius. I have looked through the manual and there is nothing mentioning the heat or limit of it for this specific bike. Does anyone know what the limit is?
Mine was at 106 tonight too and that's in the chilly UK lol
My fan kicks on before the HI symbol is displayed and then it cools right down. Did your HI symbol show up? If not, then no worries.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

After my commute today I shut off the bike in my garage and heard the fan I was surprised, I probably read about the fan kicking on but I forgot all about it. I then looked at the gauge it read 230 f... I'm in SoCal and it was warmer than normal. But I didn't notice a thing. Didn't see a high temp reading too.

• Premium Member
the water temperature will always rise rapidly when you stop the engine as there is no air flow and heat radiates from the cylinders into the water jacket - on some vehicles the makers run the water and oil pump for a few minutes to dissipate the heat. This is very common on turbo engines to prevent the turbo bearings seizing as they would expand greatly without the cooling liquids.

On this bike the fan only kicks in if you leave the ignition turned on when you come to a stop.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 2 weeks later...
The churned up heat is probably when the fan starts spinning. I forget which bike model that has designed am engine cover (extension of the radiator guard but 1 piece) to divert the hot air away from the rider. New mod needs to be done I guess.

Archived