Notchy gear changes

jonno12345

Jonno, did you ever sort the problem? i recently bought a new tracer and have the same issues with very clunky gear changes, I came from a z1000SX which was quite smooth, I have heard the Yam gear change is fairly notchy. When i first purchased it i rode it 250 miles back home in really hot weather and the gear change was really quite heavy in the end. 

• 1 year later...

Mine is doing exactly what the Op's bike was doing, who knows if it ever got corrected? I am going to adjust my shift lever position up a bit, and ensure my clutch cable has the right amount of free play, it currently looks to be "too tight" as the lever.

I'm going to say that my FJ-09 shifts better then both my previous FZ-07 10k miles, and my ST1300 63k miles.

My FJ is only at 2800 miles but everything has been getting better, the more miles it gets on it. Including the shifting. I have Castrol Actevo 10-40 oil in it, seems to love it. It's an affordable  MC specific oil.

depending on how stiff your riding boots are you might be having trouble running your ankle through the required arc needed to shift smoothly. Definitely loosen the locknuts on the external shift shaft and play with the shifter height.

• 3 months later...

As I ride more my 2015 Tracer, I can also say that the gearbox is clunky or at least clunkier than other bikes I had before. Not a major problem for me but I still try to get used to the notchy clutch! I can't start from stop smoothly, I'm constantly trying to find the correct balance between throttle and clutch and gear changes are a bit "sloppy" too, I find it smoother to do clutchless changes....

I have the updated clutch cable and I'm certain clutch tension is as manual states. 

Guess I should update: once I adjusted my clutch free play at the lever and "in particular raised/adjusted the shifter linkage".....it shifts like butter at any RPM, and the quick shifter in particular now works as I had hoped. :) 

• Thumbsup 1