Calaveras and Amador

fr8dog

• Premium Member
Perfect weather here today. Had to take the scooter out for a ride. Went up to Amador and Calaveras Counties. Lots of roads to explore.
About 33 years ago I crashed on Hwy 49 between Mokelumne Hill and Jackson. The road spirals down (25 mph signs) and in the middle of one of the curves I was daydreaming and ended up in gravel and laid it down. I was on my Suzuki GS750. I was scraped up, but was afraid of being run over because of the blind curves. My buddy was ahead of me and didn't see me fall. Another bike stopped and helped me drag my bike to the side of the road.

Long story short, I was up that way today. Just started riding again last year after a 30 year break. Hadn't been on that road since.
Anyway, great day of riding. Thought about the fall for a few seconds  then kept on jammin.

Screenshot-2018-11-05-Google-Maps.png

Awesome ride. Loads of exploring you can do out there. A terrifying (literally) but neat road is Ward's Ferry. I don't remember exactly what town it's out of, but worth checking out. Just beware its a single lane (paved) that winds down a SERIOUSLY steep cliff. It's very intimidating but fun.

'15 FJ09

That's a powerful "remember when."  And I bet most of us "senior" FJ pilots have a few.

Hopefully the in 30-40 intervening years we've all come to our senses a bit and ride more mindfully!

I was at the Dragon a few years back and on one of my passes noticed I had corner fatigue. There the curves just keep coming at you constantly for 11 miles. About half way through I noticed my mind drifting away. It was like me watching a YouTube of a guy driving the Dragon. Then I ran wide and woke up!

Slowed way the hell down after that and realized my 65-year old brain did not have the newer-faster data processing chip installed.

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
That's a powerful "remember when."  And I bet most of us "senior" FJ pilots have a few. 
Hopefully the in 30-40 intervening years we've all come to our senses a bit and ride more mindfully!

I was at the Dragon a few years back and on one of my passes noticed I had corner fatigue. There the curves just keep coming at you constantly for 11 miles. About half way through I noticed my mind drifting away. It was like me watching a YouTube of a guy driving the Dragon. Then I ran wide and woke up!

Slowed way the hell down after that and realized my 65-year old brain did not have the newer-faster data processing chip installed.

cb
Let me know where you get that chip, I need one too.........

• Premium Member

I like the "newer-faster data chip installed part. I missed out on the last batch. I get corner fatigue every once in a while. Didn't realize there was a term for it, but describes how I get sometimes. I'm more alert and cautious now than 30 years ago. Probably helps me to know when to back off and take it easy.

• Premium Member

Gold country privides good riding. Moke Hill north on 49, a lot of sude trips and loops. To Auburn and Placerville, back to Surters Creek for ice cream. Enjoy.The roads are in great shape.
Back in the 80's we lived in Stockton, so any road we took east was good. Spent a lot of time between Jackson and Sonora. Now we live NE of Sacramento, so most of my riding has been off 49 between Auburn and Placerville. This week I'll head towards Sonora and look for Wards Ferry Road.

A few years back I rented a BMW in San Diego for a few days and rode to Borrego Springs, Salton Sea, Palms to Pines highway, and up Palomar.

There is GREAT riding (off the freeways) in Kalifornia.

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

What a fun area to ride!  So many roads, and little side roads to choose from. Someone mentioned Wards Ferry. It's a must ride. I've been on it a few times, including two up with my wife on the ST1100 Land Barge. 

I need to take a day off work and do something like this before winter sets in. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I lived in Manteca in the '90s for a few years and rode the heck out of that area. Amazing roads!

I experience something worse than corner fatigue: I enjoy tight twisties in bursts but if they go on too long I can actually give myself motion sickness. Nothing like getting 20 miles into a 70-mile long twisty road and feeling like I have to puke.

• Premium Member
I gotta watch that too. In a car (passenger seat or in the back) I'll turn green after a few curves in the mountains. It's happened on the bike, but not often.

Archived