Early problems with gear-shift selector rod (?)

In the very earliest days of the FJ/ MT-09 in early 2015 there was a problem with - I don't recall the exact wording - the gear-change selector rod, or some such thing.   Under the recall procedure it was remedied, and a paint dot applied somewhere on the lhs (IIRC) to signify that the fix had been, err, fixed.   Could someone please point me to those early posts, reason being that I am looking at a brand-new never-used 2015 model and want to ensure that issue has been dealt with on this particular bike.   Also , are there any associated VIN numbers or range to look out for?   Thank you...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

are there any associated VIN numbers or range to look out for?   Thank you...

The dealer can run the VIN and tell if anything has been done or needs to be done to any specific bike.

I dont know if there is a VIN range to look out for or avoid, if a problem was discovered and then later addressed through a recall, it should now be good as new. 

Its hard to believe there are still left over, brand new '15 models collecting dust in warehouses and showrooms, you should be able to negotiate a fair deal on a 4 year old bike.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

53 minutes ago, betoney said:

Its hard to believe there are still left over, brand new '15 models collecting dust in warehouses and showrooms, you should be able to negotiate a fair deal on a 4 year old bike.

It is indeed hard to believe, but as I have said here many times, the Tracer model has been a very poor seller in Oz, for reasons I find hard to understand, for the early starting price came down to about $AUD$15,000 including the hard panniers - exceptional value for money IMHO both then and now.   Dealer is asking AUD$12,490 for this zero km red one - but it's a very long way from home, 1800km!   He has rejected my first offer - wheeling and dealing may well continue, but if not...   Thanks betoney and Piotrek for the shift-rod info.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Well, the dealership in Mt Isa - Far North-west Queensland - has accepted my offer and things are proceeding!   The bike should probably be here by Christmas, but if not there's no great loss as riding in the heat and humidity of a Queensland summer, just begun, is not much fun!   A bit like Florida's 90/90 I imagine.

I'm pretty sure that this will be the last of the Mohicans as far as brand-new Tracers are concerned here in Oz, so it will be a bit special - Lava Red too!   

Let the (mental) farkling begin, but having been there, done that before I know where to start.  First, tweak the suspension: luckily I have kept a note of my original settings, which while not perfect by any means did give a satisfactory, if not brilliant ride.   Then my usual first-off add-ons: Grip Puppies (the real ones from the UK): then a Stebel Magnum horn - not super-loud but twin-tone and more attention-grabbing than the OE squeaky toy: a home-made extension to the side-stand lowering leg, for easier location when on the bike, in the absence of a universally-jointed ankle: then a pair of front conspicuity LEDS: then my home-made SKENE lookalike red flashing/ pulsing rear brake-light LEDs.   Later, probably, a Bagster seat as before, sourced from Italy at a much better price than locally.

I'll probably paint the pannier lids too, as I have done before, achieving an excellent result using ordinary household paint rattle-cans (assuming I can get a very good match).   

Then - after summer's heat and humidity and tropical rain - hit the road in earnest!

Happy days!

On 12/10/2018 at 11:48 AM, wordsmith said:

In the very earliest days of the FJ/ MT-09 in early 2015 there was a problem with - I don't recall the exact wording - the gear-change selector rod, or some such thing.   Under the recall procedure it was remedied, and a paint dot applied somewhere on the lhs (IIRC) to signify that the fix had been, err, fixed.   Could someone please point me to those early posts, reason being that I am looking at a brand-new never-used 2015 model and want to ensure that issue has been dealt with on this particular bike.   Also , are there any associated VIN numbers or range to look out for?   Thank you...

I am choosing to ignore your question and focus on the more pressing matter that you are shopping for a new bike!!! Coming back mate?

Payment for the bike is going through - should be here mid-next week.   Bike will be shipped in a Yamaha covered crate taken from an MT-07 about to be delivered to the dealership, and the panniers will be boxed.   Dealer has done the right thing and offered - unasked - to fit a new battery before shipping the bike, and he'll also ensure that chain-slack is set at about 30mm instead of the ex-factory/ specification, which is drum-tight and gives rise to an extremely annoying whine.   Which as one wag said here "and for once it's nothing to do with the wife".

I'll start a new Thread shortly with a different title that I can use to track the farkling and other adventures of the new bike.

On 12/11/2018 at 8:41 PM, wordsmith said:

Looks a lot like it, Nate!   How're you doing at Goulburn?

Getting there mate. At the pointy end now. Well over the ‘food’ here though. Made some great friends though which is something I had not expected. Looking forward to reading about you new toy!

On 12/10/2018 at 10:48 AM, wordsmith said:

The dealer has sent me a copy of the official recall notice plus advice that my particular machine was remedied at the factory.   Cannot ask for more, and so all's well.

Archived