Let the farkling begin...

Let the farkling begin – December 12th 2018.

My new June 2015-build MT-09 Tracer will be on the road for the first time in late December 2018, after being shipped 1800km to me from its current abode in a dealership in Mt Isa, remote Far North-West Queensland – outback territory.

Brand-new with zero kilometres, in the desired Lava Red colour, I imagine it’s the last of the Mohicans so far as brand-new Tracers are concerned here in Oz.   I have been lucky to find this and luckier to have struck up a good relationship (by phone) with the dealer.   After a bit of firm but good-natured negotiating he finally accepted my price offer, several thousands below what the bike would have cost back in 2015 or ’16.   He is also paying the freight to me, and has of his own accord fitted a brand-new Lithium battery.   It has been a pleasant, professional, and cordial relationship.

Still with several days to go before I can collect the bike from the transport depot, I have begun buying aftermarket parts to start the farkling.   This will be my fourth Tracer, so I know exactly what I want, and thus far I’ve ordered some of the usual suspects for any new bike I’ve had, mostly (other than Tracers) BMW boxer twins:

Stebel Magnum horn – deep-toned but more assertive than the toy OE horn.   A straight swap for the OE item.

Grip Puppies – the genuine ex-UK ones, not the cheaper see-through-them-when-held-up-to-the-light versions.

Mirror extenders/ risers, to which will be added 2" spot-mirrors to enhance rearward vision.

Additionally, a couple of useful items tried in the past:

Headlight protector-covers, and a double-bubble screen.

I’m still looking on-line for other must-have items - inexpensive rubber-topped rider foot-pegs.   

Among the electrical bits to be bought and installed will be a pair of front conspicuity LEDS, and a SKENE-style flashing/ pulsing rear LED brake light.   Luckily, I kept the wiring diagrams for these items.

I’m mulling over ordering straight away another of the superbly comfortable BAGSTER seats, which at considerable cost adorned my last two Tracers.   Expensive, but IMHO worth every penny.   By ordering from Italy I’ll save a useful AUD$100 or so compared to the local distributor’s price, plus I can choose contrast stitching on the black seat – which will of course be red! 

Stay tuned, while I await the mail-man at the front door!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Rubber-topped rider foot-pegs now ordered and on-way.   These are the same as others I've had and do give a much more 'roomy' feel to the feet, and are a bit more comfy than the medieval weapon-like studded OE pegs. 

I'm holding-off on ordering the costly - but still very desirable - BAGSTER seat as I have another approach that will be worth trying.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Bought locally today a pair of round 2" diameter 'dead-spot' mirrors to be attached to the bike's larger OE mirrors, in order to enhance rear view clarity and safety.   I've used these on all my bikes over the years.   They give a wide panoramic view of what's coming up behind or alongside and makes them well worth the tiny cost involved, IMHO.

Pic below shows the same mirrors on my last Tracer (Shetland Sheepdog Honey in background!).   There's a bit of a method to using them most effectively - I don't try to take-in the entire rear view in both mirrors at the same time: the trick is to look into the OE mirror first, then quickly switch the gaze to the smaller one.   Takes a bit of getting used to, but become intuitive in a very short time.

P1020264r.jpg

2 hours ago, brewhaha said:

Do you have a link for these? I would like to get some myself, thank

These, brewhaha, cost me AUD$16.34 (how do they do it for the money!).   There seems to be some inadvertent misinformation 'out there' as to whether or not they're compatible with the FJ/ MT-09 - but I'm satisfied enough to put my money down.

58 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

After, what 4 Tracers? I think you hold a PhD in Tracer Farkling 😁

Haven't got the fourth one yet!

There may be some delay in receiving the new bike!   All the paperwork has been finalised - I've just got to fix the insurance to commence on Friday morning, Dec 21st, when I was hoping to collect the bike from the transport company's depot here in Brisbane.   But the massive Tropical Cyclone Owen is brewing and building up north and swinging round to head south-east.  It may well impact the regions through which the truck will be travelling outback roads 1847km SE towards us.   

Deeply-flooded roads and interminable hold-ups as a result are commonplace along that route this time of year, so the truck's arrival in Brisbane on Thursday next, Dec 20th, ready for the Friday pick-up, is uncertain right now.   

It matters not - extreme heat and humidity, the forerunner of Owen, are already afflicting us, and it wouldn't be much fun riding a motorbike in such conditions!

3 hours ago, wordsmith said:

It matters not - extreme heat and humidity, the forerunner of Owen, are already afflicting us, and it wouldn't be much fun riding a motorbike in such conditions!

400ks today in SEQ, bit warm, but a lot cooler up in the hills.

Whereabouts are you in SEQ, jd?   I'm in Redland Bay, often ride up through the Lakes region towards Kingaroy, and/ or T'woomba.   Looking forward to doing it again, tho' probably in 2019 the way things are going!

Archived