Good & Bad

denveryzf

Good: Saturday I installed one of the Y_Series exhausts that I snagged on sale last week. Install wasn't too bad, and it looks & sounds great, It is a bit louder than I thought it would be, but nothing ridiculous.....and no drone at any speed so far. The works finish is a nice golden color now, and the pipe is quite a bit lighter than stock

Bad: I had no idea (until now) that running the bike on the center stand, with it in gear, could cause a check engine light to come on, and when that happens you cant get into the menu by pushing the menu wheel. I was doing this to help get the chain dry after washing it yesterday, so I am pretty sure this is what caused the CEL to come on. Guess I will stop by to visit my dealer soon, and then see about getting the correct part to make an OBD2 to Yamaha adapter dongle..... not being able to clear CEL's without visiting a Yamaha dealer is unacceptable...

file1-1.jpeg

file-1.jpeg

file3-1.jpeg

file4-1.jpeg

file5-1.jpeg

• Supporting Member

Mikerbiker, DenverYZF, that is . . . I lube my GT's chain on the center stand while running, but I feather the clutch a little to slow it down while applying the spray lube.  Never had the CEL come on yet.  I've read about it happening, but so far this method works great for me.

Sorry, MikerBiker...big DUH on my part.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

4 hours ago, mikerbiker said:

That exhaust fits nicely in line with the bike.  Are you changing fueling w the full system and if so via PC5 or flash?  Thks

I plan on sending the ECU out for reflash once I find someone that has some experience with these bikes

2 hours ago, whistler said:

Mikerbiker, I lube my GT's chain on the center stand while running, but I feather the clutch a little to slow it down while applying the spray lube.  Never had the CEL come on yet.  I've read about it happening, but so far this method works great for me.

Ya, I've done it quite a few times.... I must have gotten the rear wheel moving fast enough to make it unhappy. I did get the CEL cleared by the dealer today at lunch time, so all is well.......

On 12/18/2018 at 11:55 AM, denveryzf said:

Ya, I've done it quite a few times.... I must have gotten the rear wheel moving fast enough to make it unhappy. I did get the CEL cleared by the dealer today at lunch time, so all is well.......

denveryzf - did they confirm that the CEL code was related to running the bike in gear on the centre stand?

On 12/18/2018 at 11:53 AM, denveryzf said:

I plan on sending the ECU out for reflash once I find someone that has some experience with these bikes

I spoke with David from vcyclenut.com and he has a flash for the GT.

I also received email confirmation from 2 Wheel Dynowroks that they also have their flashes complete for the GT.

They also have a special on right now for $275 with return shipping.

Cheers,

Rob

1 hour ago, rlambke19 said:

denveryzf - did they confirm that the CEL code was related to running the bike in gear on the centre stand?

Yes... that was definitely the cause. They couldn’t tell me if there is a certain wheel speed that will trigger this though. 

There are several Yamaha bikes behave this way, so the dealer has seen this a few times recently...

42 minutes ago, dfriz said:

When changing the exhaust and removing the o2 plug the CEL will come on !! That is what happened to mine when I replaced the Exhaust

It shouldn't unless you power on the bike with the O2 sensor disconnected.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

13 hours ago, dfriz said:

When changing the exhaust and removing the o2 plug the CEL will come on !! That is what happened to mine when I replaced the Exhaust

I still have the O2 sensor, the light was definitely due to me running the bike, in gear, in the center stand. The dealer confirmed this.

The bike was never powered on without the O2 sensor being connected as well.

10 hours ago, mikerbiker said:

I've been coming back to look at this exhaust now 10 times in last week.  Not happy w you denveryzf.  You may cost me $1000 at some point in 2019...

I'm very happy with this system so far. I was able to get it for $840 with tax & shipping from the Yamaha accessories site while it was on sale, which is the lowest price I've seen do far of this system

Archived