Plastic cracking on under-seat moulding

On very early models of the FJ/ MT Tracer there were reports of some plastic component immediately under the very front part of the rider's seat that was cracking.   IIRC it had to do with the seat bearing down on that part.   It was nothing serious, and Yamaha quickly resolved it with a modification to the part concerned.   But as my Tracer is a mid-'15 model I doubt it had that modification.   Could someone kindly post a pic of the modified part/ area and I may be able to fix it in some way so that it doesn't crack over time.

Thank you - pic below of the affected part/ area highlighted in yellow (IIRC again) on my bike.

P1040960_LI.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

When you put the seat on, see where the seat contacts the area you have highlighted in yellow, use a Dremel tool and trim that area down so it doesn’t touch anymore. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Great - thanks betoney.   Don't own a Dremel (never in fact seen one for sale here) but can do with a very fine angle-grinder disc.   Will do...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Great - thanks betoney.   Don't own a Dremel (never in fact seen one for sale here) but can do with a very fine angle-grinder disc.   Will do...

If you are into any sorts of crafts or any sorts of precision sanding, grinding, cutting or polishing you owe it to yourself to own a Dremel tool, especially if you love tinkering.  So many attachments available, I bought a corded and battery powered model and use them regularly. 

If they aren’t available for sale there, check Amazon.com, they have EVERYTHING. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks, duhs.   Bunnings Oz = Lowe's and/or Home Depot USA.   I'll ask staff when I'm next in Bunnings - which is pretty much every day!

1 hour ago, betoney said:

If you are into any sorts of crafts or any sorts of precision sanding, grinding, cutting or polishing you owe it to yourself to own a Dremel tool, especially if you love tinkering.  So many attachments available, I bought a corded and battery powered model and use them regularly. 

If they aren’t available for sale there, check Amazon.com, they have EVERYTHING. 

Thanks, betoney.   I could have used one of these a few years back when I was heavily into building strip-plank sea-kayaks up to 18' length.   I had pretty much every other power-tool known to man, but not the Dremel.   I'll have to look 'em up - pity that Christmas gift-giving time has just passed!

Thanks a lot, micah, that really helps.   It was hard to see exactly where the seat was in contact with that little vertical rib, but now I can proceed safely.   I have some very small round sanding drums, and can grind the required areas away with one of those in my electric drill.

I appreciate all comments...

7 hours ago, jdavis said:

Wordsmith, Bunnings has them and fifty other brands of the same thing.

Thanks!   I tend very rarely to venture into the tools section of Bunnings, as I have my very own little Bunnings in my garage at home!   But I'll stroll in there next time, leaving my Visa card at home...

Dunnit!   Doesn't look quite as neat as the real part, needs a little hand-sanding, but it will do I'm sure.   But I'll keep an eye on that area to ensure no cracking...

I appreciate the guidance.

P1040965.JPG

Archived